Thread poster: Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:08
German to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 18, 2011

I have written a shareware TMX viewer for MacOSX: Xoterm.
Feel free to try it out if you have MacOSX 10.5 and up.
(This is an alpha version and first release. so there'll be bugs in it.)

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Xoterm 1.0.2. Aug 12, 2011

Version 1.0.2 is out.

Thijs Vissia
Thijs Vissia
Netherlands
trying xoterm Mar 4, 2019

hi Joakim,
I just came across your program Xoterm, but when I run it, it appears for a second and then disappears again. I'm running it on a macbook with OSX Yosemite 10.10.5.

Do you have an idea what might be the cause? I've given Xoterm accessibility through preferences.
<
... See more
hi Joakim,
I just came across your program Xoterm, but when I run it, it appears for a second and then disappears again. I'm running it on a macbook with OSX Yosemite 10.10.5.

Do you have an idea what might be the cause? I've given Xoterm accessibility through preferences.

https://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems/203455-[hype]_xoterm_10a_tmx_viewer_for_mac.html
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Crash report? Mar 4, 2019

No idea why that is, Xoterm still works fine on my 10.13.6 system.
Could you forward the crash report (available from Console.app) to me?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to fix anything quickly, since Xoterm is dependent on a legacy third-party UI library that's become obsolete.
I'd have to rebuild the UI from scratch.

Thijs Vissia
Thijs Vissia
Netherlands
crashing problem solved, some other q's Mar 9, 2019

Joakim Braun wrote:

No idea why that is, Xoterm still works fine on my 10.13.6 system.
Could you forward the crash report (available from Console.app) to me?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to fix anything quickly, since Xoterm is dependent on a legacy third-party UI library that's become obsolete.
I'd have to rebuild the UI from scratch.

Hi Joakim,
Thank you for your reply, sorry I didn't see it until now.

I think the problem was in my java install or another issue on my system. I did a reinstall of OSX, and now Xoterm doesn't crash anymore right after starting, it seems fine.

I'm still figuring out how to use it though, some questions after reading the manual.

Firstly, when I start up Xoterm, I get a notification that Accessibility is still disabled, but when I use the button to go to Accessibility settings, I'm not sure where to okay Xoterm's access.

I thought that Accessibility settings were essentially to do with disabilities, increased font-size for visually impaired users etc. I've gone through each of the items but I don't see any that would relate to Xoterm. An identical Accessibility icon is visible inside the Security and privacy settings, but that is not where the 'Open System Preferences' button in the notification takes me.

Under Security in the Privacy tab at least, Xoterm is approved, I think that is part of the access it needs?

Secondly, I've used the Xoterm setting to set a hotkey to update the searchfield from inside another application and tried it with Word and TextEdit, but it doesn't work yet.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thijs Vissia
Thijs Vissia
Netherlands
adding tmx files Mar 9, 2019

A third thing, in the "Xoterm preferences: tmx files" windown, where the tmx files are added, drag-and-drop does not work, but also not adding them through the plus sign. Also the "edit file groups..." dialog does not show up upon selecting that from the dropdown.

I did manage to add a single file by drag-dropping it onto the main panel, but adding more than one seemingly caused the loss of target text.

It's a shame that the third party UI has become obsolete as you say
... See more
A third thing, in the "Xoterm preferences: tmx files" windown, where the tmx files are added, drag-and-drop does not work, but also not adding them through the plus sign. Also the "edit file groups..." dialog does not show up upon selecting that from the dropdown.

I did manage to add a single file by drag-dropping it onto the main panel, but adding more than one seemingly caused the loss of target text.

It's a shame that the third party UI has become obsolete as you say, the app seems to do just what I'm looking for.
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Accessibility Mar 12, 2019

"Accessibility" on MacOSX happens to provide a mechanism by which applications can select and manipulate each other's text selections. Xoterm uses it to talk to Word.

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Files Mar 12, 2019

About the files, it might be a sandboxing issue.
MacOSX has beefed up its security since the last version of Xoterm.

Whenever I get a free weekend I'll take a look at reconstructing the UI and functionality.
Won't be before April, I'm afraid.

Thijs Vissia
Thijs Vissia
Netherlands
xoterm Mar 13, 2019

Joakim Braun wrote:

About the files, it might be a sandboxing issue.
MacOSX has beefed up its security since the last version of Xoterm.

Whenever I get a free weekend I'll take a look at reconstructing the UI and functionality.
Won't be before April, I'm afraid.

Ok, thanks either way. I can already use the program for single tmx files, and search works fine.

Before I got Xoterm working, your tip somewhere else on how to look at tmx files in a browser has also helped me along.

Thijs Vissia
Thijs Vissia
Netherlands
update: Xoterm accessibility issue solved Mar 22, 2019

Hi Joakim, this is just FYI, but I found out what the problem was with Accessibility. I think Xoterm was added to the apps that have access automatically (not sure about this) but I moved the Xoterm file to another location after this happened, and this broke the access it had.

After deleting it under Security&Privacy > Accessibility, I re-added it, and this fixed the problem. Now my shortcut for updating the search term does work from any other program.

But this still
... See more
Hi Joakim, this is just FYI, but I found out what the problem was with Accessibility. I think Xoterm was added to the apps that have access automatically (not sure about this) but I moved the Xoterm file to another location after this happened, and this broke the access it had.

After deleting it under Security&Privacy > Accessibility, I re-added it, and this fixed the problem. Now my shortcut for updating the search term does work from any other program.

But this still leaves the fact that - on my version of OSX -when Xoterm notices it doesn't have accessibility, it points to the wrong place for changing that: in System Preferences, it points to "Accessibility" (settings for people with visual disabilities etc.) rather than the "other" Accessibility under Security & Privacy. They have identical icons.

(This is the situation in Yosemite, so OSX 10.10, and I think there have been small changes from version to version. Just the fact that stuff has changed would be good to point out in the documentation, should you update the app at some point. This overview helped me: https://mizage.com/help/accessibility.html)
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Men at work Mar 25, 2019

I've started to update Xoterm. Progress is good, there will possibly be a new version in a few weeks.
I also noted that the preference panel had changed.

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Xotem update available Nov 1, 2019

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/xoterm/id1484779298

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[Hype] -- Xoterm 1.0a, TMX viewer for Mac

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »