Déjà Vu's Lexicon is called Project Glossary in CafeTran Espresso
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Jan 14, 2021

For those who consider to migrate from Déjà Vu to CafeTran Espresso: Déjà Vu's Lexicon is called Project Glossary in CafeTran Espresso. It will be automatically created when the corresponding checkbox in the Dashboard is selected.

In contrast to Déjà Vu's Lexicon, CafeTran Espresso's glossaries allow:

• Adding synonyms or alternative translations
  • Adding alternative source terms (source term nests)
  • Setting three different levels of prio... See more
For those who consider to migrate from Déjà Vu to CafeTran Espresso: Déjà Vu's Lexicon is called Project Glossary in CafeTran Espresso. It will be automatically created when the corresponding checkbox in the Dashboard is selected.

In contrast to Déjà Vu's Lexicon, CafeTran Espresso's glossaries allow:

• Adding synonyms or alternative translations
  • Adding alternative source terms (source term nests)
  • Setting three different levels of priority
  • Quickly adding related term pairs in one go
  • Adding new terms to the custom dictionary
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
Michael Beijer

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:29
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
memoQ’s version of Déjà Vu’s great ‘Lexicon’ feature Jan 14, 2021

Hi Hans,

Some other CAT tools now also have features similar to Déjà Vu's great Lexicon.

memoQ, e.g., allows you to assign rankings to termbases (higher or lower). You can also send terms to a particular termbase while translating with a specific shortcut.

Higher ranking term matches in the ‘Translation results’ window are shown in a darker blue, which makes them stand out nicely.

In the ‘Translation results settings’ dialogue, you
... See more
Hi Hans,

Some other CAT tools now also have features similar to Déjà Vu's great Lexicon.

memoQ, e.g., allows you to assign rankings to termbases (higher or lower). You can also send terms to a particular termbase while translating with a specific shortcut.

Higher ranking term matches in the ‘Translation results’ window are shown in a darker blue, which makes them stand out nicely.

In the ‘Translation results settings’ dialogue, you can also specify that these darker blue matches are shown above any lower ranking (lighter blue) matches in the ‘Translation results’ window.

features-similar-to-DVX's-Lexicon-in-memoQ-matches-shown

features-similar-to-DVX's-Lexicon-in-memoQ

Michael
Collapse

Denis Danchenko
Denis Danchenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:29
English to Russian
+ ...
DVX Lexicon VS CafeTran/MemoQ Feb 22, 2021

Would be interesting to know if both also support or expand the more advanced DVX Lexicon toolset, such as:

1. Create/Resolve/Remove
2. Import/Export
3. Add to TB/TM

Cheers,
Denis

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
As simple as possible Feb 22, 2021

Denis Danchenko wrote:

Would be interesting to know if both also support or expand the more advanced DVX Lexicon toolset, such as:

1. Create/Resolve/Remove
2. Import/Export
3. Add to TB/TM

Cheers,
Denis

For a better understanding of the way how CafeTran Espresso handles glossaries, it is important to know that these are plain text, tab-delimited files.

I'll try to answer your questions:

• Creation: automatic creation via the Dashboard during project configuration. Or manual creation at any time.
  • Remove: removal of term pairs via the Term edit dialogue box, or by opening the glossary via the context menu in a universal text editor.
  • Import/Export: not necessary, since the glossaries are plain text, tab-delimited files.
  • Adding to TB: these are called glossaries in CafeTran Espresso. You can merge glossaries via a dedicated menu item. Or you can simply glue them together in a universal text editor.
  • Adding to TM: You can add the content of glossaries to Memories via a dedicated menu item. (BTW: The other way around, Memory > Glossary, is supported too.)

From the Déjà Vu manual:

Resolving:

After the lexicon has been built and you have added and removed those entries you considered necessary, you should translate it. You can do this manually, but you can also decide to use the content in your databases.

If I understand correctly, resolving is about adding target language content to a thesaurus in the source language, in order to create term pairs/a glossary.

Personally, I add all term pairs on the fly, during the translation process. I often review my initial choices (which is very handy in CafeTran Espresso, since the glossaries are plain text, tab-delimited files and the software has a great feature in the Find and Replace dialogue box to simultaneously adapt segments in the project and memories, or in the glossary).

If, however, you want to create a thesaurus first, you can use one of the dedicated features in the Task menu:

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 11.44.23

On a side note:

In the old days, when computers were not so powerful, CAT programs had to index word and phrase lists in order to search them quickly. With today's powerful computers, this is not necessary anymore. Glossaries and Memories in plain text have many advantages. You don't have to import or export them and you can edit them directly*) in a text editor. Time savings and comfort. *) For example, deduplication, spelling check, global search and replace.

[Edited at 2021-02-22 10:48 GMT]

Denis Danchenko
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
#As simple as possible Feb 22, 2021

Dear Hans,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply and the detailed explanation.

I'll have a closer look at how CafeTran could improve my data routines, which are mostly DVX-drven.
A quick follow-up question to address data handling on a larger scale:
While I find the CafeTran's focus on plain text really comfy, any chance I could use it to leverage (meta)data in a way similar to SQL in DVX?

Cheers,
Denis

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
BIG data Feb 23, 2021

Denis Danchenko wrote:

While I find the CafeTran's focus on plain text really comfy, any chance I could use it to leverage (meta)data in a way similar to SQL in DVX?

My largest glossary is 440 000 term pairs (the IATE). It is loaded together with my own created Big Papa (or was it Big Mama) glossary of 130 000 term pairs. There is no lag, all searches are instaneously. Edits do of course take a second (or 2), that's why I add new terminology to a dedicated glossary, that I merge regularly with my own big glossary. CafeTran Espresso offers a nice feature set for this glossary maintenance, including sorting on length and merging alternative translations (multiple target terms) to one source term, defining the newest target term as the one that auto-assembling has to use. This is a great way to optimise your glossaries for A-A.

I don't use big memories: I have one memory per client. So I'm not a user of CafeTran Espresso's solution for big memories: the Total Recall database technology:

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/folders/6000058183

You can use an SQL driver for TC:

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000152599-total-recall-with-mysql-database

Denis Danchenko
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
#BIG data Feb 24, 2021

Dear Hans,

I'm quite happy with how the Assemble feature works in DVX and I'm not sure I'd benefit from using the stack of context-bound terms [using LOCK as a verb/noun OR as a base term/modifier] to improve the quality of assembled translations.
An option to run plain-text S&R across projects/TM's/TB's is what I seriously miss in DVX though.
On the other hand, SQL works great for what I call 'static maintenance' of datasets using metadata [domain/ client/project/file V
... See more
Dear Hans,

I'm quite happy with how the Assemble feature works in DVX and I'm not sure I'd benefit from using the stack of context-bound terms [using LOCK as a verb/noun OR as a base term/modifier] to improve the quality of assembled translations.
An option to run plain-text S&R across projects/TM's/TB's is what I seriously miss in DVX though.
On the other hand, SQL works great for what I call 'static maintenance' of datasets using metadata [domain/ client/project/file VS user/date].

Cheers,
Denis
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
SQL & maintenance Feb 24, 2021

Denis Danchenko wrote:

On the other hand, SQL works great for what I call 'static maintenance' of datasets using metadata [domain/ client/project/file VS user/date].

This should be possible with the SQL in Total Recall too ...

BTW: The developer is very responsive to users' requests. So if you are missing anything regarding the SQL implementation, you could request an enhancement. CafeTran Espresso is actively being developed.

Denis Danchenko
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
CafeTran enhancements Feb 24, 2021

Hans Lenting wrote:

Denis Danchenko wrote:

This should be possible with the SQL in Total Recall too ...

BTW: The developer is very responsive to users' requests. So if you are missing anything regarding the SQL implementation, you could request an enhancement. CafeTran Espresso is actively being developed.

I've touched on SQL here since we've discussed data maintenance as applied to overlaps and extensions of the Lexicon/Project Glossary concepts.
A more comprehensive A-wishlist I'd request implementing in CafeTran to consider re-investing in this otherwise very powerful tool would be:
- DeepMiner-like autosuggest technology mining sub-segment data from all attached datasets.
- Morphology support (aka Custom mark-up in MemoQ) for more intelligent terminology QA.
- SQL or alternative toolset for intra-project and inter-project TM/TB maintenance.

I apologize in advance if I've overlooked or missed any of these in the recent CafeTran upgrades. As I've not upgraded CafeTran since 2015.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
I need some assistance Feb 25, 2021

Denis Danchenko wrote:

- DeepMiner-like autosuggest technology mining sub-segment data from all attached datasets.
- Morphology support (aka Custom mark-up in MemoQ) for more intelligent terminology QA.
- SQL or alternative toolset for intra-project and inter-project TM/TB maintenance.

I apologize in advance if I've overlooked or missed any of these in the recent CafeTran upgrades. As I've not upgraded CafeTran since 2015.

Can you make a demo project, e.g. EN > D, with some DM suggestions illustrated in screenshots? I'll try to replicate them in CafeTran Espresso, since I think that its fragment matching is pretty much the same.

Thank you in advance!

Re: Morphology support, can you give some examples?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Found it Feb 26, 2021

Denis Danchenko wrote:

Found it :

https://www.translatortools.net/products/tme?fbclid=IwAR0oq_Wf3P41qDydInXzYTEfwdr_K5Y1DKg10i6fLk3N9282bFjIqaVmB8g

Denis Danchenko
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
ASAP Feb 26, 2021

Hans Lenting wrote:

Denis Danchenko wrote:

Found it :

https://www.translatortools.net/products/tme?fbclid=IwAR0oq_Wf3P41qDydInXzYTEfwdr_K5Y1DKg10i6fLk3N9282bFjIqaVmB8g

Exactly TME marks up word forms to be tuned out by MemoQ with pipes/asterisks on the QA step.
Fewer false positives, faster QA, better data.
DVX is not of much help here.
I'll share the screenshots with DM at work by MON/TUE.

Have a good weekend,
Denis

[Edited at 2021-02-26 09:02 GMT]

Denis Danchenko
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
DeepMiner Mar 2, 2021

I've attached a screen with an Autowrite autosuggest list in the active segment.
It includes:
- a termbase match at the top (Pos 8 in AutoSearch)
- a TM subsegment match in the middle (Pos 2 in AutoSearch)
- a deep-mined phrase at the bottom.
Please note that the latter is generated 'on the fly' rather than by using direct TM/termbase input.
DeepMiner makes even low-count text data readily available and helps translate in line with the Iconic Linkage concept [J. Byrne, 2006].

dm

Denis Danchenko
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
DeepMiner: better example Mar 2, 2021

Here's a better example of 'deep mining' in Deja Vu:
As I type the first letter, DM comes up with a very close hit, even though the translation is not prompted by AutoSearch [bottom/left].
The Fuzzy Match score has been set to 50%.
Alternatively, I could 'assemble' the translation from termbase matches (pos 1 and 5), but this would involve an extra keystroke + larger post-editing effort.

dm2

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Cannot replicate Mar 6, 2021

Thanks for your postings, but due to lack of knowledge of the target language I cannot verify how CT would handle this.

[Edited at 2021-03-06 07:58 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Déjà Vu's Lexicon is called Project Glossary in CafeTran Espresso

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »