Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:14
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 17, 2018

Dear colleagues

I'm curious on how my colleagues store their term bases, and terminologic researches. Thus, I've created a 2 minutes survey. I would appreciate if you can help me with my research.

https://es.surveymonkey.com/r/DXYQKQX

Thank you very much.

Clarisa Morana

[Edited at 2018-05-17 22:58 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Questions May 18, 2018

Since this topic is one of my favourite topics, I took your survey.

You might want to add an alternative here for translators who actually do save terminology:

Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 09.15.45

And with this question:

Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 09.16.18

I was looking for a way to add that I very often add plurals and alternative spelling forms. (I added it as an extra item to question # 9.)

On a side note: I use CafeTran Espresso 2018 as my favourite CAT tool. Mainly because of its superb features to build termbases (which are in fact simple text or TMX files – without the hassle of conversion or import) on the fly.

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
synonyms, plurals and thanks! May 18, 2018

Hans Lenting wrote:

I was looking for a way to add that I very often add plurals and alternative spelling forms. (I added it as an extra item to question # 9.)

I usually add the alternative spelling forms as synonyms in the source term, and select my preferred term in the target field, in order to keep consistency. Regarding plurals, if the source or target term will always (or most of the time) in plural, I add it as plural.

On a side note: I use CafeTran Espresso 2018 as my favourite CAT tool. Mainly because of its superb features to build termbases (which are in fact simple text or TMX files – without the hassle of conversion or import) on the fly.

I've never used it. Now I'm curious, and I will study its termbases features. And yes, there is a hassle when we need to convert a glossary to use it in our CAT tool.

Thank you very much for your input, and I thank all my colleagues that took my survey!

Clarisa

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 19:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
A what now? May 19, 2018

Despite working as a translator full time for 20 years now, I had to google "termbase" just to make sure I knew what it was.
I use WF Classic, but don't really leverage the glossary function, as I found it more distracting than useful. I suppose my TMs are a kind of termbase, but I don't usually fiddle with them much. If a client supplies me with a glossary of terms, I use the ones they stipulate, unless there are glaring mistakes or things that could be improved, in which case I will con
... See more
Despite working as a translator full time for 20 years now, I had to google "termbase" just to make sure I knew what it was.
I use WF Classic, but don't really leverage the glossary function, as I found it more distracting than useful. I suppose my TMs are a kind of termbase, but I don't usually fiddle with them much. If a client supplies me with a glossary of terms, I use the ones they stipulate, unless there are glaring mistakes or things that could be improved, in which case I will consult the client before doing anything.

I suppose I'm not a very good example to follow... but my clients seem to be happy with the results.
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do appreciate your input, indeed! May 21, 2018

neilmac wrote:

I use WF Classic, but don't really leverage the glossary function, as I found it more distracting than useful. I suppose my TMs are a kind of termbase, but I don't usually fiddle with them much. If a client supplies me with a glossary of terms, I use the ones they stipulate, unless there are glaring mistakes or things that could be improved, in which case I will consult the client before doing anything.

I suppose I'm not a very good example to follow... but my clients seem to be happy with the results.

I really appreciate your input. I do need every single opinion, not only of those who use termbases (or glossaries) on a daily basis, or from translators like you. And yes, sometimes there are mistakes in the client glossaries. I remember once, the client sent me a huge termbase that I imported to my own termbase without checking it. One of the biggest mistakes I've made as a translator! Over 400 non sense entries!

Thank you again for your help!

Clarisa

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:14
English to Russian
Need to select 2 options May 21, 2018

neilmac wrote:

There are plenty of translators who strongly believe that CAT is an animal... =)

Hi Clarisa Moraña
I need to select 2 options for 1 question (#4): yes I use client termbase and my own; and yes I use mine if not provided by client. Assume I tick both.
The same applies to q5: I add terms before translating (if any) and add them on the go.

[Edited at 2018-05-21 04:17 GMT]

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 21, 2018

Stepan Konev wrote:

neilmac wrote:

There are plenty of translators who strongly believe that CAT is an animal... =)

Hi Clarisa Moraña
I need to select 2 options for 1 question (#4): yes I use client termbase and my own; and yes I use mine if not provided by client. Assume I tick both.
The same applies to q5: I add terms before translating (if any) and add them on the go.

[Edited at 2018-05-21 03:25 GMT]

I do the same thing: I always use my own termbase, and the one provided by the client, if any. What I need to know if any tembase is used. Some translators don't do that, and I wanted to know their percentage.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Survey on use of glossaries and CAT tools

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »