Thaís Campos
Thaís Campos
Brazil
Local time: 10:18
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 21, 2018

Hello everyone!

I was wandering if there is some app like T-Window for clipboard that uses TMX memories.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:18
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not quite the same, but these two might interest you: Jun 21, 2018

1. http://farkastranslations.com/tmlookup.php (a super-useful concordancing tool that imports .tmx and .txt files; you can search your database from any program on yr computer via a shortcut)
2. http://felix-cat.com (a free, Word-based CAT tool, where you basically select some text (in MS Word), and can autom
... See more
1. http://farkastranslations.com/tmlookup.php (a super-useful concordancing tool that imports .tmx and .txt files; you can search your database from any program on yr computer via a shortcut)
2. http://felix-cat.com (a free, Word-based CAT tool, where you basically select some text (in MS Word), and can automatically run a fuzzy search on it and save it to a TM with the program)

Michael
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
CafeTran Espresso Jun 22, 2018

Thaís Campos wrote:

Hello everyone!

I was wandering if there is some app like T-Window for clipboard that uses TMX memories.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

See: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/folders/6000058167

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Always on vs on demand Jun 22, 2018

Hans Lenting wrote:
Thaís Campos wrote:

See: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/folders/6000058167

Yes, if I understand correctly, CafeTran's option (explained here) is "always on", i.e. there is no separate shortcut to initiate the search. It automatically starts the search procedure as soon as you copy text in any program outside of CafeTran using Ctrl+C. I don't use T-Window myself, but it is my understanding that that is how T-Window works as well (see here). Farkas' tool requires that you press a different shortcut than Ctrl+C.

However, does CafeTran read TMX files without conversion? I googled for this, and all results speak of "importing" TMXes into CafeTran, which makes me think that CafeTran can't read TMX files as-is.

[Edited at 2018-06-22 06:11 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
It's all in the RAM Jun 22, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

However, does CafeTran read TMX files without conversion?

Yes it does. Same goes for the tab-delimited glossaries.

Lili Seifi

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
CafeTran: TMX edit mode Jun 22, 2018

@Samuel

EDIT: Sorry, this is probably out of topic, as I misunderstood the point about reading TMX memories. Answer: TMX is the native memory format CafeTran uses. It does not convert TMX to another format upon import.

CafeTran can act as a powerful TMX editor via its "Edit translation memory" workflow. In this workflow, you can directly edit a TMX file and perform various TMX related maintenance tasks.

Here's how: In the Dashboard, click the Dashboard cont
... See more
@Samuel

EDIT: Sorry, this is probably out of topic, as I misunderstood the point about reading TMX memories. Answer: TMX is the native memory format CafeTran uses. It does not convert TMX to another format upon import.

CafeTran can act as a powerful TMX editor via its "Edit translation memory" workflow. In this workflow, you can directly edit a TMX file and perform various TMX related maintenance tasks.

Here's how: In the Dashboard, click the Dashboard context menu button > Project type > Edit translation memory > Drag and drop the TMX file > Click the "Next segment" button to start editing. > Save the project.

- TMX related tasks are found in Task > TMX memory
- Find and replace via Ctrl + F (and select Memory target segments)
- Filter TMX files as you wish via the Filter menu

Note: The free demo version of CafeTran supports up to 500 TMX units. | EDIT: I stand corrected, this does not seem to apply when editing TMX files.

PS: TMX maintenance tasks and TMX find and replace operations can also be performed while working on a regular CafeTran project with at least one Memory attached.

[Edited at 2018-06-22 07:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-06-22 08:54 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Limit Jun 22, 2018

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

CafeTran can act as a powerful TMX editor via its "Edit translation memory" workflow

Note: The free demo version of CafeTran supports up to 500 TMX units.[/quote]

Not sure that this limit also applies to TMX files loaded in the translation grid (in TMX edit mode). It is my understanding that this limit applies to TMX files loaded as TM in translation projects.

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
No limit for TMX editing Jun 22, 2018

Just tested it, and I stand corrected, this limit does not seem to apply when editing TMX files, even in the free trial mode.

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Nice present Jun 22, 2018

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Just tested it, and I stand corrected, this limit does not seem to apply when editing TMX files, even in the free trial mode.

Nice present, from Igor, ain't it?

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
1,000 TU limit, now applied to "Edit translation memory" workflow Oct 14, 2019

I would like to report that, in CafeTran Espresso, the 1,000 TU limit is currently also applied to the "Edit translation memory" workflow.

In effect, the TMX editing feature is only usable for the licensed version.

[Edited at 2019-10-14 16:16 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In search for an app for quick translations

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »