Witold Walecki
Witold Walecki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:07
Member (2011)
English to Polish
+ ...
Apr 22, 2018

I have no framemaker software but some framemaker files. would someone convert them to word or rtf for me?
thanks in advance

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Round trip Apr 22, 2018

Hello Witold,

I don’t have Adobe FrameMaker, so I cannot help you with the conversion. Please note, however, that many CAT and localization tools handle .MIF files directly.

If your translation software does not support FrameMaker files, you can use one that supports them in a round trip scenario:

- import the file in a CAT tool that handles .MIF files
- translate the created bilingual files in your preferred CAT tool
- use the original CAT to
... See more
Hello Witold,

I don’t have Adobe FrameMaker, so I cannot help you with the conversion. Please note, however, that many CAT and localization tools handle .MIF files directly.

If your translation software does not support FrameMaker files, you can use one that supports them in a round trip scenario:

- import the file in a CAT tool that handles .MIF files
- translate the created bilingual files in your preferred CAT tool
- use the original CAT tool to export/finalize the translated .MIF files

Give a shout if you wish to take that route. In that case, please specify your OS and the CAT tool you use, so that I can provide you with relevant information under this forum post.

Jean
Collapse

Witold Walecki
Poland
Member (2011)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
failed Apr 22, 2018

just realised that memoq handles framemaker files, but apparently when I try to open there is something wrong with the file itself
massages attached
any idea how to crack it?

fm error

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Unhandled textdata content in MIF Apr 22, 2018

The error is "Unhandled textdata content in MIF".

Maybe the issue is with the file itself, or memoQ file filter cannot handle some content within the file.

Do you know which version of Adobe FrameMaker was used? I understand some CAT tools support version 8 and up.

At this point, I suggest that you contact your client or memoQ's support. You can also try other CAT tools as well (for the round trip scenario).

Candidates include CafeTran Espresso
... See more
The error is "Unhandled textdata content in MIF".

Maybe the issue is with the file itself, or memoQ file filter cannot handle some content within the file.

Do you know which version of Adobe FrameMaker was used? I understand some CAT tools support version 8 and up.

At this point, I suggest that you contact your client or memoQ's support. You can also try other CAT tools as well (for the round trip scenario).

Candidates include CafeTran Espresso (offline), MateCat (online)(procedure described here), Memsource (online), SDL Trados (offline), Deja Vu (offline), etc.. You can also use Okapi Rainbow (offline) to create a translation kit for these MIF files.

[Edited at 2018-04-22 12:32 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
You'll need the MIF version of the FM file Apr 23, 2018

You posted a screenshot, embedded in a Microsoft document. This won't work. You can only post images. I downloaded your DOCX, copied the screenshot and here it is:

Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 09.34.43

The image makes it clear: you are trying to import the (binary) .FM file instead of the required .MIF file. Ask your client to save the FM file in MIF format.

Witold Walecki
Poland
Member (2011)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.fm Apr 23, 2018

they can do that in framemaker, correct?
thanks a lot for your feedback!

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Yes they can Apr 23, 2018

Witold Walecki wrote:

they can do that in framemaker, correct?
thanks a lot for your feedback!

Yes, it's in the File menu, if I remember correctly, File save as ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

framemaker files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »