Yelp Page for a Translation Business?
Thread poster: Olga Bogatov (X)
Olga Bogatov (X)
Olga Bogatov (X)
United States
Local time: 05:19
Mar 2, 2019

Hi everybody,

I am wondering if it is worth it to start a Yelp page for my translation business. I operate as a sole proprietor, have a home office, and rarely meet my clients in person.
A couple of my friends with an established business recommend starting a yelp account to gain more visibility and attract new customers, since it is such a trusted resource which has existed for a long time.
What are your thoughts?

Paweł Hamerski (X)
Paweł Hamerski (X)
Local time: 13:19
English to Polish
+ ...
Never heard of and I am 40+ years in this business. Mar 2, 2019

Maybe it is for fun. Or for Americans.

[Zmieniono 2019-03-02 23:12 GMT]

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:19
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Not sure if it's necessary Mar 2, 2019

Olga Bogatova wrote:

Hi everybody,

I am wondering if it is worth it to start a Yelp page for my translation business. I operate as a sole proprietor, have a home office, and rarely meet my clients in person.
A couple of my friends with an established business recommend starting a yelp account to gain more visibility and attract new customers, since it is such a trusted resource which has existed for a long time.
What are your thoughts?

I guess if your clients are based in Canada/US then they would/could make use of a Yelp page, but for me specifically Yelp is really more for things like restaurant reviews. However I do know that people do review Yelp comments extensively for service-based industries like hair salons and auto shops. I personally wouldn't put a page up as you being a sole proprietor would more than likely use your home address - this for me is more an issue of privacy than anything else. If you operate your business from an actual office or a shared workplace however, perhaps it'd make sense to have a Yelp page.

Colleen Roach, PhD
Colleen Roach, PhD  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:19
French to English
+ ...
Yes, I've seen translators on YELP Mar 3, 2019

I live in the States, and yes, I have not infrequently seen translating agencies with pages on YELP. One advantage is that companies or individuals or agencies that use your services can rate you and then write a sentence or two. I do, however, find it somewhat confusing -- it may have one agency/company and then quickly (on the same page I believe) it will list another company offering the same service (translating, beauticians, cleaners, whatever). If it is not too expensive you might want to ... See more
I live in the States, and yes, I have not infrequently seen translating agencies with pages on YELP. One advantage is that companies or individuals or agencies that use your services can rate you and then write a sentence or two. I do, however, find it somewhat confusing -- it may have one agency/company and then quickly (on the same page I believe) it will list another company offering the same service (translating, beauticians, cleaners, whatever). If it is not too expensive you might want to give it a try, but I suggest you look at how the pages are set up to see what I am talking about (the confusion of more than 1 provider for the same service on a page), and find out if there is a "work-around" for this available.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Yelp Page for a Translation Business?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »