Laptop screen size
Thread poster: Robin Miller
Robin Miller
Robin Miller
Germany
Local time: 19:24
German to English
Jun 1, 2019

I need to work with retina displays. Which is the best mac screen size to work with? I prefer laptops.

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Laptops are for travelling, iMac for the office! Jun 1, 2019

Please see attached.

27 inch iMac + 2x 23 inch displays.

Best ‘serious work setup’ out there.

DJH

55AE8753-52E4-46B9-B9FA-309AF3E3DD62

Jan Truper
CARLOS LEON

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Big enough to work with your CAT tool Jun 1, 2019

The short answer is as large as you can afford! I don't know if you can use any of my comments, but they are things I considered when buying a laptop last year.

I have a version of a Lenovo Thinkpad, a large, slim laptop, so that I can still see what I am doing when the screen is divided into four by Trados Studio. (TM window, glossary window, source text and target text)
I have to have a whole paragraph of the source text visible, so that I don't spend ALL my time scrolling b
... See more
The short answer is as large as you can afford! I don't know if you can use any of my comments, but they are things I considered when buying a laptop last year.

I have a version of a Lenovo Thinkpad, a large, slim laptop, so that I can still see what I am doing when the screen is divided into four by Trados Studio. (TM window, glossary window, source text and target text)
I have to have a whole paragraph of the source text visible, so that I don't spend ALL my time scrolling back and forth to see more than just the sentence I am working on.
There has to be space to see about 100 words comfortably in the top windows and at least 200 in each of the lower ones.

The laptop has a 17-inch screen, and there is no CD drive, so I need to take a separate one with me if I expect to work with CD dictionaries, for instance. On the other hand, I always had to take a separate numerical keyboard with the old laptop...

The computer fits into a rucksack which I can have as cabin luggage on flights. Anything much bigger might be unwieldy.

The screen is also handy for online maps! You can see a large enough area to plan routes and get an idea of where you are and where you are going, and it beats a smartphone any day.

I use a smartphone with a hotspot as a hub, so I have my own WiFi, but I could get a SIMcard for the laptop if I paid for it.

Make sure your screen minimises reflections!
At home I always sit with the daylight coming from the side, mostly from an angle where the light does not reflect on the screen, but I draw the curtains for around an hour before sunset.
I find the contrast against the window really hard on the eyes, so I would NOT be happy with Dylan Jan Hartman's setup! I would turn everything 90 degrees. It really makes a big difference when I am on the move, and cannot always choose where I sit.

But you really have to find out what suits you personally - other people are different!
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 01:24
Chinese to English
+ ...
Macbook Jun 1, 2019

You only have three choices: 12", 13" and 15".

For most people, 15" is the most balanced, though 13" may be preferable if you're regularly on the road.

Robin Miller
Robin Miller
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Display Jun 1, 2019

Many thanks for the advice. I'm back in the trade after 10 years.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Synonyms Jun 2, 2019

Robin, the point is Steve Jobs branded the term "Retina" (a grid of logical subpixels) just meaning a high-resolution (300+ PPI) display, patented by Apple exclusively for its products. Now there're similar or even better hi-res technologies available globally.

So, is your question about Apple items only or just something mobile, efficient and, comfortable?

Considering that modern Macs are Intel-based with LG/Samsung/Sharp and Nvidia, I'd rather check ultrabooks.
... See more
Robin, the point is Steve Jobs branded the term "Retina" (a grid of logical subpixels) just meaning a high-resolution (300+ PPI) display, patented by Apple exclusively for its products. Now there're similar or even better hi-res technologies available globally.

So, is your question about Apple items only or just something mobile, efficient and, comfortable?

Considering that modern Macs are Intel-based with LG/Samsung/Sharp and Nvidia, I'd rather check ultrabooks.

One thing is always at the expense of the other(s), so weight the options and cons/pros wisely)

[Edited at 2019-06-02 13:06 GMT]
Collapse

Robin Miller
Robin Miller
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Retina display Jun 2, 2019

I can only work for long periods if I have a Retina display. I've had eye surgery on both sides. Horribly detached retinas. I've tried many other displays. I can use high resolution Gaming laptops for hours.

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
4K Jun 2, 2019

Then why not get a PC with a 4K display? Higher resolution, and now you can even get OLED displays which are theoretically better on the eyes.

Kaspars Melkis
Kaspars Melkis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:24
English to Latvian
+ ...
or 14" Jun 2, 2019

Lincoln Hui wrote:

For most people, 15" is the most balanced, though 13" may be preferable if you're regularly on the road.

What's wrong with 14"? Or maybe 13.9" or whatever close to it?

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
And if you not regurlary on the road... Jun 2, 2019

Lincoln Hui wrote:

... I would suggest 17", much better view.

Christine Andersen

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
14 and 17 Jun 2, 2019

Did either of you read? You two find me a current-gen Macbook that's those sizes, I'll literally buy it for you.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
I am not into Mac,... Jun 2, 2019

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Did either of you read? You two find me a current-gen Macbook that's those sizes, I'll literally buy it for you.

.... but if they don't have a 17", it is a flaw in their productline. I am working on a 17" laptop and wouldn't have it any other way.

They had one though, but isn't deliverable anymore.

[Edited at 2019-06-02 22:53 GMT]

Robin Miller
Robin Miller
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Macbook 17 inch Jun 3, 2019

I've previously used a Mac 17 inch many years back. I had to buy another 15 inch. Can anybody recommend a 17 inch or larger with the same quality resolution?

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

iMac 27" Jun 3, 2019

As shown in the image above, I still insist that getting an iMac would be your best option. Especially considering the importance of screen size with your eye-condition.

The larger iMac offering is 27 inch.

The size-down model is 21.5 inch.

Cost-wise they're cheaper or the same price as entry-level MacBooks but have faster processors.

I wouldn't recommend switching to Windows after using the Mac operating system previously.

Rega
... See more
As shown in the image above, I still insist that getting an iMac would be your best option. Especially considering the importance of screen size with your eye-condition.

The larger iMac offering is 27 inch.

The size-down model is 21.5 inch.

Cost-wise they're cheaper or the same price as entry-level MacBooks but have faster processors.

I wouldn't recommend switching to Windows after using the Mac operating system previously.

Regards,
DJH
Collapse

Robin Miller
Robin Miller
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
On the road Jun 7, 2019

Forgot to mention that I'm a digital nomad. Transportability's a must. I'd never thought about using a gaming laptop for work. I just did. 4 hours flat out. I'll go for the most affordable make I can find.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Laptop screen size

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »