Thread poster: Nina Esser
Nina Esser
Nina Esser
Germany
Local time: 09:25
English to German
Sep 17, 2017

Dear all,

I have been contacted by a Chinese agency and I'm trying to come up with a rate that also takes into account any charges for the payment itself. I've read some threads where people complained about money they "lost" in the payment process (through bank charges, conversion fees, ...) and I want to shift as much of this "loss" as possible on to the client.

So far, I only have European customers,
... See more
Dear all,

I have been contacted by a Chinese agency and I'm trying to come up with a rate that also takes into account any charges for the payment itself. I've read some threads where people complained about money they "lost" in the payment process (through bank charges, conversion fees, ...) and I want to shift as much of this "loss" as possible on to the client.

So far, I only have European customers, who pay me by bank transfer (i.e. no charges). I also have a paypal account I set up years ago for a one-off US client.

I was hoping that you could tell me what the charges for bank transfers and paypal payments are from China to the EU (roughly) and, if these are unreasonably high, if there is a better means of payment that won't cause me too much trouble to set up? Perhaps I should charge a rate that is x% higher than my rate for European customers?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Kind regards,
Nina
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:25
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My limited experience Sep 17, 2017

I've only ever had one Chinese client, as most won't pay anything like a sensible rate. That one was happy to pay euros into my PayPal account. I asked for fast payment - within 10 days - in return for accepting the fees, which were the normal PayPal ones that amount to roughly 3.5% (I think). He was only late one month - of about 10-15 monthly invoices - and in that case he added the fee to his payment, as previously arranged. He really didn't want to pay by wire transfer as it would have cost ... See more
I've only ever had one Chinese client, as most won't pay anything like a sensible rate. That one was happy to pay euros into my PayPal account. I asked for fast payment - within 10 days - in return for accepting the fees, which were the normal PayPal ones that amount to roughly 3.5% (I think). He was only late one month - of about 10-15 monthly invoices - and in that case he added the fee to his payment, as previously arranged. He really didn't want to pay by wire transfer as it would have cost him too much, so I didn't investigate that route.Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 16:25
Chinese to English
+ ...
Paypal Sep 17, 2017

I won't even bother thinking about bank transfer, unless they have an overseas bank account to start with. Paypal works just like any other country - for now.

Nina Esser
Nina Esser
Germany
Local time: 09:25
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@Sheila and Lincoln Sep 20, 2017

Just wanted to quickly say thank you for your replies! (Better late than never)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charges for payments from China

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »