Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 13:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rebecca Davis... Oct 13, 2018

Rebecca Davis wrote:

Was it addressed to you personally, or a general email?

It was a general one, although they may have filtered of course. Clearly I'm not the only one to be graced with this offer!

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:43
French to English
+ ...
PS@Rebecca Davis Oct 13, 2018

It was addressed to a "selected" list of lucky Proz recipients, a "Proz.list".

writeaway
Michele Fauble

Rebecca Davis
Rebecca Davis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:43
French to English
+ ...
General ProZ messages/lists Oct 14, 2018

Haven't even opened one of these in years, as they always "offer" the same laughable rates and conditions. Don't see why you would be "up in arms" about it though: it's not personal, just some dodgy agency trying its luck, which I assume it pays ProZ to do.

writeaway
Ventnai

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rebecca Davis... Oct 14, 2018

Rebecca Davis wrote:

Was it addressed to you personally, or a general email?

It was a general one, although they may have filtered of course. Clearly I'm not the only one to be graced with this offer!

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ignore it Oct 14, 2018

Yes, this is what I would indeed recommend for the most part. But I couldn't ignore the "eloquence" of this particular one.

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:43
English to French
+ ...
Sometimes... Oct 14, 2018

Michael Newton wrote:

"Translations are like sausages, it is best not to see them being made"

...I wish there would be "(ROF)LOL" button here as well as some confused/cryingoutloud emoticons on the jobs pages (which would be unprofessional, don’t worry! I know!). Anyway, on the bright side, once in a while, it seems that a client knows about "sausage manufacturing" : https://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/1502650
That would deserve a congrats button!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The lucky ones Mar 13, 2019

Rachel Fell wrote:

It was addressed to a "selected" list of lucky Proz recipients, a "Proz.list".

They probably checked the profiles and picked those who might believe that getting paid 0.05 or 0.06 per word and however little for matches is like hitting the lottery jackpot.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to install some kind of "de-activator" that leaves the rate field inaccessible for the outsourcer as soon as the intended offered rate is below an acceptable amount.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Gregory Lassale
Gregory Lassale  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:43
English to French
Here is another one Apr 24, 2019

I just replied to a ProZ ad for a new agency located in western Europe. I get an automated 400+ word reply that goes on a rant about the unfair competition that western translators suffer, the cheap rates offered by translators in emerging countries, the impossibility for the former to make a decent living in heavily taxed countries, the slave-like conditions they work in, the deplorable state of the market... and then proceeds to offer 0.05-0.07€/wd for translations and 0.01-0.03€/wd for pr... See more
I just replied to a ProZ ad for a new agency located in western Europe. I get an automated 400+ word reply that goes on a rant about the unfair competition that western translators suffer, the cheap rates offered by translators in emerging countries, the impossibility for the former to make a decent living in heavily taxed countries, the slave-like conditions they work in, the deplorable state of the market... and then proceeds to offer 0.05-0.07€/wd for translations and 0.01-0.03€/wd for proofreading and revisions, and nothing for repetitions, of course.

SMH.
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Then I'm lucky... Apr 24, 2019

Gregory Lassale wrote:

I just replied to a ProZ ad for a new agency located in western Europe. I get an automated 400+ word reply that goes on a rant about the unfair competition that western translators suffer, the cheap rates offered by translators in emerging countries, the impossibility for the former to make a decent living in heavily taxed countries, the slave-like conditions they work in, the deplorable state of the market... and then proceeds to offer 0.05-0.07€/wd for translations and 0.01-0.03€/wd for proofreading and revisions, and nothing for repetitions, of course.

SMH.

I almost feel lucky, having been offered €0.06 a couple days ago from a Chinese company for a "long term collaboration" (and a "very Western" end client, for the specific project at hand)...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Yet another inflammatory job offer

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »