Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:04
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 26, 2019

Hi,

I have a client who wants to pay per character - has anybody experience with this? I have no clue if hos rate is acceptable or not: $5.38 per 1000 characters with spaces for proofreading/editing

Can anybody help?

Thanks a lot!

Christian Schaller
Christian Schaller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
usually 55 characters per line, roughly 7.5 words per line Mar 26, 2019

That means your client would pay you a little less than 0.04 $ per word.

Best regards,

Christian

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
spaces Mar 26, 2019

Thanks a lot, Christian - but what does characters with spaces mean for the calculation?

[Edited at 2019-03-26 08:09 GMT]

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Characters with spaces Mar 26, 2019

Characters with spaces means just every character you type, i.e. words as well as spaces.

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Mar 26, 2019

Thank you!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:04
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Use MS-Word's statistics Mar 26, 2019

The average number of characters per word will be different for each language. I'd advise you to take any text you've worked on - in the language of this file, and look at the statistics in the MS-Word review pane. That will enable you to see the correlation between the number of words and the number of characters with/without spaces, for that text. Once you get a feel for the average, you'll have a feel for what's an acceptable rate. TBH, the only thing that matters is earning a decent rate for... See more
The average number of characters per word will be different for each language. I'd advise you to take any text you've worked on - in the language of this file, and look at the statistics in the MS-Word review pane. That will enable you to see the correlation between the number of words and the number of characters with/without spaces, for that text. Once you get a feel for the average, you'll have a feel for what's an acceptable rate. TBH, the only thing that matters is earning a decent rate for your time. You could quote for every "E" if you could be bothered to calculate how much each one should cost the client. .Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Thayenga

Vladimir Morozov
Vladimir Morozov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
That's not much! Mar 26, 2019

If you are accustomed to rates per line, let's do a bit of math: 1000 characters means about 18 lines of 55 characters each; so the rate per line will be less than $0.30 per line or less than $9.00 per page of 30 lines. That doesn't seem to be much for Germany.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Inez Ulrich

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks all! Mar 26, 2019

Thank you, both, for your input. I haven't worked for this client so far, but I also had the feeling it wouldn't be enough. I usually charge around € 0,04/word for proofreading, so this would be way below that rate.

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.. Mar 26, 2019

Vladimir Morozov wrote:

If you are accustomed to rates per line, let's do a bit of math: 1000 characters means about 18 lines of 55 characters each; so the rate per line will be less than $0.30 per line or less than $9.00 per page of 30 lines. That doesn't seem to be much for Germany.

that would be for proofreading, not translation, but it is still pretty little.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate per character

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »