Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:47
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Jul 12, 2019

Colleagues:

I have not worked with anyone in Macedonia before. But now for the first time I have a client in Skopje who seems to find it difficult to pay me by bank transfer.

I would be grateful for alternative suggestions, preferably tha meet the following criteria:

1. I would prefer suggestions from colleagues or agencies in Macedonia who make payments to the UK;
2. I would strongly prefer a method that does not involve an intermediary holding my m
... See more
Colleagues:

I have not worked with anyone in Macedonia before. But now for the first time I have a client in Skopje who seems to find it difficult to pay me by bank transfer.

I would be grateful for alternative suggestions, preferably tha meet the following criteria:

1. I would prefer suggestions from colleagues or agencies in Macedonia who make payments to the UK;
2. I would strongly prefer a method that does not involve an intermediary holding my money somewhere (e.g. PayPal) but that pays me directly.
3. Needless to say I would also like it to be as inexpensive as possible.
4. My client in Skopje should not have to bear any charges for the money transfer.

TIA !!!
Collapse

Nadica Gjosevska
Nadica Gjosevska  Identity Verified
North Macedonia
Local time: 09:47
Member (2009)
English to Macedonian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Receiving payment from Macedonia to GB Jul 12, 2019

Hello Tom ,

I don't make payments from Macedonia to GB, but it seems that wire bank transfers should not be a problem.
I am not sure about the fees.

Please see the links of some banks in Macedonia which offer this service. Western Union is also available.
... See more
Hello Tom ,

I don't make payments from Macedonia to GB, but it seems that wire bank transfers should not be a problem.
I am not sure about the fees.

Please see the links of some banks in Macedonia which offer this service. Western Union is also available.

https://www.kb.com.mk/Default.aspx?sel=2140&lang=2&uc=1

https://www.stb.com.mk/en/individuals/funds-transfers/international-payment-operations/outflows/international-remittances/

https://nlb.mk/Физички_лица/Понуда/Плаќања/Платен_промет_со_странство.aspx

Best,
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Tom Jul 12, 2019

I have no clients in Macedonia but as like you I only accept payments by bank transfer some of my clients (EU and non-EU) pay me through Transferwise and they say that’s easier and cheaper than PayPal.
https://transferwise.com/pt

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nadica Jul 12, 2019

Thanks Nadica - very interesting

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Teresa Jul 12, 2019

Teresa Borges wrote:

I have no clients in Macedonia but as like you I only accept payments by bank transfer some of my clients (EU and non-EU) pay me through Transferwise and they say that’s easier and cheaper than PayPal.
https://transferwise.com/pt

Thanks Teresa - I'll look into Transferwise

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
If they operate in Macedonia Jul 12, 2019

Transferwise should be a pretty good option.

They just transfer money, and what it costs is reasonable. So, far as I know, they won't freeze your money or grab it back because the recipient claimed "never receiving the good" that you were unwise enough to send without requesting a proof of delivery, or some similar dirty trick, tolerated/made possible by some other unnamed payment service.

[Edited at 2019-07-16 00:09 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Transferwise? Western Union? Jul 12, 2019

I've done business with a few of the Balkan states but not Macedonia. I see that Transferwise is perfectly possible there, so they should be able to credit your bank account with no problem.

I had a client in Russia who had problems and they sent me an email with a Western Union password. I went along to a local shop that provides a WU service (there are several in my town) and collected exactly the right number of euros in cash. It was pretty painless. Not something I'd do for ever
... See more
I've done business with a few of the Balkan states but not Macedonia. I see that Transferwise is perfectly possible there, so they should be able to credit your bank account with no problem.

I had a client in Russia who had problems and they sent me an email with a Western Union password. I went along to a local shop that provides a WU service (there are several in my town) and collected exactly the right number of euros in cash. It was pretty painless. Not something I'd do for every client, but it worked well in the circumstances.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sheila Jul 12, 2019

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I had a client in Russia who had problems and they sent me an email with a Western Union password. I went along to a local shop that provides a WU service (there are several in my town) and collected exactly the right number of euros in cash. It was pretty painless. Not something I'd do for every client, but it worked well in the circumstances.

Thanks Sheila - there are lots of WU shops around here so I'll look into it.

Joshua Parker
Joshua Parker
Mexico
Local time: 01:47
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Transferwise Jul 12, 2019

I used TransferWise for the first time last week to receive money (in my case, from Portugal into a U.S. account).

It was very easy to set up and the fees worked out at just over $6 for $1,200. I had my money in my account within three days.

Worth looking into, I think. I'm not sure if it's available in Macedonia, though.

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:47
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Transferwise Jul 13, 2019

+1, it even works with Russia which makes my life easier.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Receiving payment from Macedonia to GB

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »