Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
American Gothic Feb 1, 2021

American Psychotic, more like. And I think Meryl Streep's country cuz reckons she's going to be first on his list during the rampage to ensue shortly.

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
No way Feb 1, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

American Psychotic, more like. And I think Meryl Streep's country cuz reckons she's going to be first on his list during the rampage to ensue shortly.

I think the palpable sexual tension between the two of them is what makes this painting sing ...

[Edited at 2021-02-01 16:53 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Barbara Carrara

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@PLF Feb 1, 2021

It’s been bothering me for some time. How many years did you spend in the English-speaking world acquiring such a natural way with our words?

PS Are you related to the KLF?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Barbara Carrara

Felipe Lacerda
Felipe Lacerda  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:09
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Name a tool that's worse than XTM. I'll wait. Feb 1, 2021

Tools

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
KLF as in the band? I wish! Feb 1, 2021

Chris S wrote:

It’s been bothering me for some time. How many years did you spend in the English-speaking world acquiring such a natural way with our words?

PS Are you related to the KLF?

Thank you, Chris it's so kind of you, and, BTW, you and everyone else can call me by the English version of my name – Portia – it makes me feel so very Shakespearian. Nice to e-meet you all!

I've actually spent a total of 30 days in the UK, but no other EN-speaking country, in my whole life. I owe it all to Auntie BBC though: her quality shows made me the woman I am now.

I'd like to sound like Her Madge, but I'd gladly settle for one of the ladies in Albert Square.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Barbara Carrara

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Old Vic Feb 1, 2021

Portia knows the EastEnder dialogues better than we do! Well, I mean, you do. Since, as you remember from not very long ago, I keep getting me Ian Beales mixed up wiv me Phil Mitchells, I does. Or wuz it Grant? Leave it aaaht! I gotta get back to me staaaalll.

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Rickayyy Feb 1, 2021

I haven’t watched an episode of EastEnders for a good 20 years so it’s a good job you don’t make any references to recent characters...

I’m more into Love Island now. The complex characters. The lush sets. The sparkling dialogue. The authenticity.

OK, I’ve never watched a single episode of that.

Telly just isn’t the same these days. Like music. And fashion. And drugs. And girls.

Getting old...

And Portia, just... wow. W
... See more
I haven’t watched an episode of EastEnders for a good 20 years so it’s a good job you don’t make any references to recent characters...

I’m more into Love Island now. The complex characters. The lush sets. The sparkling dialogue. The authenticity.

OK, I’ve never watched a single episode of that.

Telly just isn’t the same these days. Like music. And fashion. And drugs. And girls.

Getting old...

And Portia, just... wow. Wasted on translation.
Collapse

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Awww, Chris, aren't you sweet? Feb 1, 2021

Nothing/nobody else would have me. But I have fun with translation, and it appeals to my pedantic nature: eats, shoots, and leaves.

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau
Barbara Carrara

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 18:09
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Here you go! Feb 1, 2021

Here's some of the best Cat Tools:

e1a8b2adff6759b385df48619dca2cb2

(For me POedit was one of the worse CAT tools I have worked until now...)

[Edited at 2021-02-01 18:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-01 18:22 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Thomas T. Frost
Felipe Lacerda
Christopher Schröder
Rachel Fell

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Lurv Island Feb 1, 2021

I had to look that one up, Chris. And when I did, I found that a Spanish channel is making ready for its own version, to be shot in the Canaries, Gran Canaria. I see that two contestants on the British series killed themselves, so presumably - and sadly - that's what's got producers frothing at the ears over here.

Do they have the crappy 'restaurant date' format too? We have that one, called (in English, too) "First Dates". They also have a "Blind Dates" offshoot, where participants
... See more
I had to look that one up, Chris. And when I did, I found that a Spanish channel is making ready for its own version, to be shot in the Canaries, Gran Canaria. I see that two contestants on the British series killed themselves, so presumably - and sadly - that's what's got producers frothing at the ears over here.

Do they have the crappy 'restaurant date' format too? We have that one, called (in English, too) "First Dates". They also have a "Blind Dates" offshoot, where participants feel up each other's faces before they sit down to dinner blindfolded. The letters F, S and F come to mind, although maybe not in that order. And they even have a repechage show, where people who didn't hit it off the first time around go back to try again. It's so interesting I haven't seen it for six months.

And don't even get me started on bullfighters' sons and daughters. There's been a lot of that on the vicious chat shows recently.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Isla del amor Feb 1, 2021

It seems a hit TV format can transcend languages and cultures.

I never watched the US version of The Office, which was a very understated comedy spoof reality show that was soooo British how could it possibly work in America? But clearly it did. Maybe I’ll go watch it right now...

As for Spanish TV, the odd week on the Costa del Sol with my small-time gangster mates from my cockney past has taught me it consists entirely of weirdly dubbed cartoons and overexcited new
... See more
It seems a hit TV format can transcend languages and cultures.

I never watched the US version of The Office, which was a very understated comedy spoof reality show that was soooo British how could it possibly work in America? But clearly it did. Maybe I’ll go watch it right now...

As for Spanish TV, the odd week on the Costa del Sol with my small-time gangster mates from my cockney past has taught me it consists entirely of weirdly dubbed cartoons and overexcited news broadcasts like Channel 9: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tWkmYraB3Rs
Collapse

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Felipe Lacerda
Felipe Lacerda  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:09
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yeeeeeess Feb 1, 2021

expressisverbis wrote:

(For me POedit was one of the worse CAT tools I have worked until now...)

[Edited at 2021-02-01 18:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-01 18:22 GMT]

Lost my work so many times on that one. Damn.

Another one that I love is when companies make you use their proprietary software just because.

Oh, so your company sells rocks, but somehow your IT guy developed a slow, buggy and cumbersome translation software and you want me to use it because you're afraid that some random translator will steal your content. I see. That totally makes sense.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Poedit Feb 1, 2021

should be called "PUedit"... it stinks

Making a Portuguese "pun" and not a "pum" here! I'm sorry!

https://www.wordreference.com/pten/pum

[Edited at 2021-02-01 20:47 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-01 20:53 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Thomas T. Frost
Felipe Lacerda
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Works in French too Feb 1, 2021

expressisverbis wrote:

should be called "PUedit"... it stinks

Making a Portuguese "pun" and not a "pum" here! I'm sorry!

puer = stink

To be fair, I've never tried it, and I doubt I will.

XTM looks a bit like 'exterminate', which is exactly what it does with any job offer I get that must be carried out in XTM: it exterminates that job offer, as I categorically refuse to use this piece of [insert your favourite expletive], which ought to be classified as a crime against humanity.

expressisverbis
Felipe Lacerda
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Oops Feb 2, 2021

[Edited at 2021-02-02 15:03 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »