Thread poster: Milan Condak
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:59
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
can't figure out how to get machine translation engines working in DGT-OmegaT Feb 7, 2019

In case anyone reading this knows, I can't figure out how to get machine translation engines working in DGT-OmegaT (3.1 or 3.2), specifically Google Translate and Microsoft Translator. I have API keys for both of them, but can't figure out where to paste the codes as there is no 'OmegaT.l4J.ini' file in DGT-OmegaT, which various help sources online mention using to get MT working in OmegaT.

Michael

PS: I have also email Thomas privately and will report back here in case
... See more
In case anyone reading this knows, I can't figure out how to get machine translation engines working in DGT-OmegaT (3.1 or 3.2), specifically Google Translate and Microsoft Translator. I have API keys for both of them, but can't figure out where to paste the codes as there is no 'OmegaT.l4J.ini' file in DGT-OmegaT, which various help sources online mention using to get MT working in OmegaT.

Michael

PS: I have also email Thomas privately and will report back here in case he answers first

PPS: I am currently using a temp workaround, using the local MT functionality of DGT-OmegaT. I quickly created a Google Translated TMX out of my current doc with CafeTran (good old Swiss army knife of CAT tools!), and placed in in a subfolder of my project called 'mt'. its content is showing up nicely now in my MT pane in DGT-OmegaT
Collapse

tcordonniery
tcordonniery
France
Local time: 10:59
Machine Translation in (DGT-)OmegaT Feb 9, 2019

> In case anyone reading this knows, I can't figure out how to get machine translation engines working in DGT-OmegaT (3.1 or 3.2), specifically Google Translate and Microsoft Translator.
> I have API keys for both of them, but can't figure out where to paste the codes

We did not make changes on this point in DGT-OmegaT, so it should work exactly as in OmegaT 3.6 (our fork is based on 3.6)
According to their documentation, this must be done by passing a parameter to the
... See more
> In case anyone reading this knows, I can't figure out how to get machine translation engines working in DGT-OmegaT (3.1 or 3.2), specifically Google Translate and Microsoft Translator.
> I have API keys for both of them, but can't figure out where to paste the codes

We did not make changes on this point in DGT-OmegaT, so it should work exactly as in OmegaT 3.6 (our fork is based on 3.6)
According to their documentation, this must be done by passing a parameter to the launcher, so it depends how you start DGT-OmegaT
Under Windows I advice to start with the BAT file, under Linux, with the SH file. Don't start by clicking directly on the JAR file: this works but does not load the configuration!
In both cases you must add a parameter like -Dname.of.the.key=value in the file just between the word "java" and the first parameter "-jar". List of parameters are here:
https://omegat.sourceforge.io/manual-standard/fr/chapter.installing.and.running.html#launch.command.arguments
We know that in the meantime OmegaT 4 introduced an easier way, but it is difficult to backport their work to a 3.6-based fork.

> as there is no 'OmegaT.l4J.ini' file in DGT-OmegaT, which various help sources online mention using to get MT working in OmegaT.

Important remark here: the INI file works only for those who launch the tool using the EXE launcher. Inside DGT we cannot use this launcher because our infrastructure maintainers forbid execution of any EXE which is not installed by them! (with the BAT no problem because it uses java.exe installed elsewhere)
That said, note that if you take the launchers from OmegaT 3.6 (in this case, take the INI and the EXE file) and put them inside DGT-OmegaT directory, it should work correctly.

> PPS: I am currently using a temp workaround, using the local MT functionality of DGT-OmegaT. I quickly created a Google Translated TMX [...], and placed in in a subfolder of my project called 'mt'. its content is showing up nicely now in my MT pane in DGT-OmegaT

Yes, that's exactly the idea of this local engine. In our case it is not related to Google Translate but to our private MT engine, which is based on Moses but with so many entries that it would be too slow to call it in real-time mode. So, we extract the MT results during the night and exploit the resulting TMX during the day.
Making the same with Google Translate will work without problem. The only inconvenience is that your results are displayed as "Local" engine, not as Google Translate.

Regards
Thomas

[Edited at 2019-02-10 07:29 GMT]
Collapse

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
I use a simple workaround but I want to use BAT Feb 18, 2019

tcordonniery wrote:

Under Windows I advice to start with the BAT file,

In both cases you must add a parameter like -Dname.of.the.key=value in the file just between the word "java" and the first parameter "-jar". List of parameters are here:
https://omegat.sourceforge.io/manual-standard/fr/chapter.installing.and.running.html#launch.command.arguments

Thomas

I was unable to setup web translation in DGT-OmegaT, too, so I "invented" a workaround (there was no Tagwipe script in OmegaT at that time: I create a project in DGT-Wizard, then I open it in OmegaT, where is MT working. After translation I re-open the project in DGT-OmegaT again.

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2019-02/18/cs/00.html

Web MT in DGT-OmegaT?

Webové překladače v DGT-OmegaT?

Překlad časopisu ToP (The translation of periodical ToP)

01 Jak nastavit webové překladače v DGT-OmegaT?
02 Strojový překlad v OmegaT / MT in OmegaT
03 DGT-OmegaT
04 BAT file for Windows

Cheers,

Milan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oh, then it's simple Feb 19, 2019

tcordonniery wrote:
The INI file works only for those who launch the tool using the EXE launcher. ... That said, note that if you take the launchers from OmegaT 3.6 (in this case, take the INI and the EXE file) and put them inside DGT-OmegaT directory, it should work correctly.

Oh, I never realised that OmegaT.exe is simply a launcher (though, looking at the file size, it should have been obvious).
So then it's simple: take the files OmegaT.exe and OmegaT.l4J.ini from the official OmegaT installation and copy them into the DGT-OmegaT directory, and then run DGT-OmegaT by e.g. double-clicking that OmegaT.exe file.

Michael Beijer wrote:
I am currently using a temporary workaround, using the local MT functionality of DGT-OmegaT. I quickly created a Google Translate'd TMX out of my current document and placed it in a subfolder of my project called 'mt'. Its content is showing up nicely now in my MT pane in DGT-OmegaT.

Yes, that's exactly the idea of this local engine. ... The only inconvenience is that your results are displayed as "Local" engine, not as Google Translate.

The big advantage of using this "local engine" method is that you can control what is sent to Google Translate (e.g. you can anonymise the text beforehand, or fix elements that are known to break on Google Translate) and you can fix the machine translation itself before it is displayed in OmegaT (e.g. fix elements that Google Translate broke or correct the spelling of words that Google Translate is known to misspell).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

DGT-OmegaT

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »