[SOLVED][OS X] 403: Forbidden
Thread poster: Brad Chang
Brad Chang
Brad Chang
Singapore
Local time: 01:08
Japanese to English
Aug 30, 2018

I am trying to use Google Translate V2 to get automated translation.

I have gone through all necessary procedures on google cloud and obtained the API key (I am still on trial version though).

According to this guide (http://omegat.org/en/howtos/google_translate.html), I was told to "Find the file OmegaT.app/Contents/MacOS/OmegaT.sh and select your preferred e
... See more

I have gone through all necessary procedures on google cloud and obtained the API key (I am still on trial version though).

According to this guide (http://omegat.org/en/howtos/google_translate.html), I was told to "Find the file OmegaT.app/Contents/MacOS/OmegaT.sh and select your preferred editor to open the file."
Of course, such a file did not exist even though it was the latest version of Omega. I only had an OmegaT Unix executable file.

Hence, I entered the API key through the Omega T interface (Omega T>Preferences>Machine Translation>Google Translate v2>Configure) and I thought everything would work.

Nonetheless, I got the 403 Forbidden error as shown:

Screenshot 2018-08-30 18.28.54

I don't think it is an issue with my API key as I have tried 2 other API keys.

Really looking forward to hearing any advice you guys might have

Thanks and cheers
Jia-Geng
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:08
English to French
+ ...
It should work Aug 30, 2018

Jia-Geng Chang wrote:

I'm not sure what a trial version covers.
Did you give your credit card number?

According to this guide (http://omegat.org/en/howtos/google_translate.html), I was told to "Find the file OmegaT.app/Contents/MacOS/OmegaT.sh and select your preferred editor to open the file."
Of course, such a file did not exist even though it was the latest version of Omega.

It's because it's the latest version of OmegaT, that the manual doesn't match:
"Documentation, particularly of new features, will be less comprehensive than that of the Standard version."
https://omegat.org/download

Hence, I entered the API key through the Omega T interface (Omega T>Preferences>Machine Translation>Google Translate v2>Configure) and I thought everything would work.

Nonetheless, I got the 403 Forbidden error as shown:

Screenshot 2018-08-30 18.28.54

I don't think it is an issue with my API key as I have tried 2 other API keys.

Really looking forward to hearing any advice you guys might have

If the API key is valid and entered correctly, it should work.

Didier

Brad Chang

Brad Chang
Brad Chang
Singapore
Local time: 01:08
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem Solved Aug 30, 2018

I deleted the previous few APIs I tried and created a new one.
Another error (400: bad request) showed up and I was about to give up and try the standard Omega T version approach.
However, I stuck around the Machine Translation window for a few moments longer, de-selecting the Microsoft Translator such that Google Translate v2 was the only one remaining etc., then it miraculously worked. I added the key the same way through Omega T>Preferences...>Machine Translation>Configurations... See more
I deleted the previous few APIs I tried and created a new one.
Another error (400: bad request) showed up and I was about to give up and try the standard Omega T version approach.
However, I stuck around the Machine Translation window for a few moments longer, de-selecting the Microsoft Translator such that Google Translate v2 was the only one remaining etc., then it miraculously worked. I added the key the same way through Omega T>Preferences...>Machine Translation>Configurations

The root cause is unknown, however, as my billing was done up from the start. Maybe it needed some time to propagate to their back-end records.

Thanks, Didier

Cheers
Jia-Geng

NB
The current google translate v2 is called Cloud Translation. It works on a 365-day free trial system. The user sets up his billing system and $300 in credits will be billed to his account for use. Any fees incurred will be deducted from the credits until it expires in 365 days.

[Edited at 2018-08-30 17:55 GMT]
Collapse

ari kim (X)
ari kim (X)
South Korea
English to Korean
+ ...
same error Dec 4, 2018

Hi Jia-Geng,

I'm so happy to find your post because I have exactly the same problem as you, but there's no place I can ask to or get help from.

My OmegaT is version 4.1.5, the latest. I tried that "OmegaT.sh" thing, which neither could I find. I put API key via the preference tab, and I have "403: Forbidden" problem. and still have that problem.

Did yours work on another version of OmegaT, the basic one?

Or do you think it's because you changed
... See more
Hi Jia-Geng,

I'm so happy to find your post because I have exactly the same problem as you, but there's no place I can ask to or get help from.

My OmegaT is version 4.1.5, the latest. I tried that "OmegaT.sh" thing, which neither could I find. I put API key via the preference tab, and I have "403: Forbidden" problem. and still have that problem.

Or do you think it's because you changed API?
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:08
English to French
+ ...
Standard support is in the Yahoo support group Dec 4, 2018

ari kim wrote:

You can always ask for help in the Yahoo support group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OmegaT/info

Or do you think it's because you changed API?

Use OmegaT 4.1.5, and use the correct API key.

It should work.

Didier

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

[SOLVED][OS X] 403: Forbidden

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »