Undo import of tmx into translation memory?
Thread poster: Dejan Milinović
Dejan Milinović
Dejan Milinović
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 19:58
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
Nov 22, 2017

Hi,

I've imported a tmx file into my translation memory, thinking it's one thing, and it turned out to be an older, not proofread version.

Is there any way to undo the import, any way to single out the segments from that specific tmx?

Obviously, I should have backed up my TM prior to the import, but not having done that beforehand, now it is too late and I need a fix if it is possible.

Dejan Milinović
Dejan Milinović
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 19:58
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found solution Nov 22, 2017

I've managed to get rid of the unwanted segments.

I opened the original files which were aligned to make the tmx, replaced each letter with a symbol which hadn't appeared in the files, aligned the two files and reimported the tmx, ticking the box to replace existing segments with the new ones. Then I filtered out the imported segments via the keyword and deleted those TUs.

There may have been a more elegant way to go about it, but mission accomplished.
Never again
... See more
I've managed to get rid of the unwanted segments.

I opened the original files which were aligned to make the tmx, replaced each letter with a symbol which hadn't appeared in the files, aligned the two files and reimported the tmx, ticking the box to replace existing segments with the new ones. Then I filtered out the imported segments via the keyword and deleted those TUs.

There may have been a more elegant way to go about it, but mission accomplished.
Never again will I import without a backup.
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:58
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
A possible solution Nov 22, 2017

I'm not completely sure this would work, but it's worth a shot:

1) Export your combined memory to a new file in TMX format. This will be a TMX memory with all the strings from your old memory (which you want to keep), and those of the new (which you want to remove)
2) Open your TMX memories (the new combined one and the one you accidentally added) using a good text editor (I would use Notepad++ for this, but there are many other options: you want an editor able to display the
... See more
I'm not completely sure this would work, but it's worth a shot:

1) Export your combined memory to a new file in TMX format. This will be a TMX memory with all the strings from your old memory (which you want to keep), and those of the new (which you want to remove)
2) Open your TMX memories (the new combined one and the one you accidentally added) using a good text editor (I would use Notepad++ for this, but there are many other options: you want an editor able to display the structure of your TMX and highlight the TMX file syntax in different colors... it will make this a lot easier)
3) Find the first translation segment in the TMX translation memory you accidentally added.
4) Find the same segment in the combined TMX translation memory.
5a) Now look at the segments following that one: if they are all from the unwanted TM, you can just delete them all, and then reimport the TMX file into a new translation memory.
5b) If, on the other hand, the segments from the unwanted TM are scattered through the combined TM, you may want tio see if it is possible to extract them by their date... depending on the tool you used to import the TMX into your TM, there may be an indication of when the memory was imported, and you could use that to find all the relevant segments and erase them from your combined TM.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Undo import of tmx into translation memory?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »