1-word (tag) difference between the source file and TM. How to get 100% matches - auto-substitution?
Thread poster: Dawid Kita
Dawid Kita
Dawid Kita  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:06
English to Polish
Sep 20, 2018

Hi,

Let me share with you some translation memory nuance. Hope it's an interesting case and I am not sure myself if there is any solution.

In my memory, I have a number of translation units with source (and target) segments, wherein there is a purple, rectangular placeholder tag. This is because of the embedded objects in the source files for translation.

However, any embedded object / placeholder tag is inconvenient in a translation stage, so I hope to r
... See more
Hi,

Let me share with you some translation memory nuance. Hope it's an interesting case and I am not sure myself if there is any solution.

In my memory, I have a number of translation units with source (and target) segments, wherein there is a purple, rectangular placeholder tag. This is because of the embedded objects in the source files for translation.

However, any embedded object / placeholder tag is inconvenient in a translation stage, so I hope to remove them from the source files, so it is more readable for translators. As such, I run a script in the source files, which replaces these embedded objects (a.k.a. placeholder tags in Trados) with a number code, e.g. [8].

(e.g. "This is ///PURPLE TAG/// a gun" --> "This is [8] a gun")

After such an operation, the source file is indeed more translation-friendly as these purple, disturbing tags were removed, BUT, when pre-translating against memories, I am not able to get 100% matches. This is indeed very obvious and much expected.

However, would anyone have any idea on how to mitigate this issue so I can edit my memory in the way that I get 100%, regardless of the fact if there is a placeholder tag or number code in the source file?

Probably a valuable note: we're talking about the existing memory and source file in an .idml format.

Or perhaps there is another way than editing the memory that I can't think of right now?

Many thanks!

[Edited at 2018-09-20 09:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-09-20 09:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-09-21 02:11 GMT]
Collapse

Janine Teuscher
Janine Teuscher  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Suggestion Sep 21, 2018

Hi David,

I'm not sure the new placeholders would make your life easier but I guess that's personal preference.
You could change the TM settings in the project settings:

Project Settings > Language Pairs > All Language Pairs (or the specific language pair, depending on how you set the project) > Translation Memory and Automated Translation > Penalties

If you set the "Missing formatting penalty" and "Different formatting penalty" to 0, the segments sho
... See more
Hi David,

I'm not sure the new placeholders would make your life easier but I guess that's personal preference.
You could change the TM settings in the project settings:

Project Settings > Language Pairs > All Language Pairs (or the specific language pair, depending on how you set the project) > Translation Memory and Automated Translation > Penalties

If you set the "Missing formatting penalty" and "Different formatting penalty" to 0, the segments should show up as 100%. But I'm not sure if that works with your placeholders. And this would only apply to one specific project.

To make a text more readable, you (or the translator) can change the way placeholders are displayed:

File > Options > Editor

and then select the desired "formatting display style".

I hope this helps.

Kind regards
Janine
Collapse

Janine Teuscher
Janine Teuscher  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
One more thing Sep 21, 2018

In the Editor, with the file open for translation you can also change how tags will be displayed. In the "View" tab on the right you can switch between partial, full and no tag text.
I think your solution may cause more problems because Trados sees your placeholders as numbers which the translator then has to include in the translation, including the brackets, and I feel that including a purple tag might be easier. But I don't know the specific text so I'm just guessing here...
See more
In the Editor, with the file open for translation you can also change how tags will be displayed. In the "View" tab on the right you can switch between partial, full and no tag text.
I think your solution may cause more problems because Trados sees your placeholders as numbers which the translator then has to include in the translation, including the brackets, and I feel that including a purple tag might be easier. But I don't know the specific text so I'm just guessing here

Kind regards,

Janine
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1-word (tag) difference between the source file and TM. How to get 100% matches - auto-substitution?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »