Sara Tirabassi
Sara Tirabassi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:45
Member (2014)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 22, 2017

I decided to buy a gaming mouse to speed up some boring actions I repeat housands of time like copy, paste, insert tags, add to glossary, find, etc.. My plan is to change the keyboard shortcuts (which at the moment I am using) and to connect the different actions to a button of the mouse (they usually have a lot of them, even 12 in some cases).

I mainly use Trados Studio 2014 but I suspect it could be useful also when using Excel, Word or other CATs.
Do any af you already walk
... See more
I decided to buy a gaming mouse to speed up some boring actions I repeat housands of time like copy, paste, insert tags, add to glossary, find, etc.. My plan is to change the keyboard shortcuts (which at the moment I am using) and to connect the different actions to a button of the mouse (they usually have a lot of them, even 12 in some cases).

I mainly use Trados Studio 2014 but I suspect it could be useful also when using Excel, Word or other CATs.
Do any af you already walked this path? I would be happy to have some feedback or to hear your thoughts about pros and cons of this operation, so I can better decide how much money to invest: prices can be very different, from 100 USD up to several hundreds.

Thank you!
Sara
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:45
Danish to English
+ ...
Interesting choice Nov 22, 2017

Why not? I don't think I would like it, but that should not hold anyone back.

As for pointing devices, I have only used trackballs the last 15 years or so, and I cannot imagine switching back to an ordinary mouse. I have a Kensington right now. Logitech had some good designs, but their trackball devices don’t last very long, and the current entry model is flimsy. Some of the high-end models have several buttons, but I usually end up forgetting to use them. I find it easier to reme
... See more

As for pointing devices, I have only used trackballs the last 15 years or so, and I cannot imagine switching back to an ordinary mouse. I have a Kensington right now. Logitech had some good designs, but their trackball devices don’t last very long, and the current entry model is flimsy. Some of the high-end models have several buttons, but I usually end up forgetting to use them. I find it easier to remember keyboard combinations. But that's just me.

There is one important thing you need to consider before moving more functions to your pointing device: the risk of repetitive strain injury. If you use a pointing device too intensively, you risk ending up with strained muscles.

[Edited at 2017-11-23 11:45 GMT]
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:45
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes, keyboard Nov 23, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I find it easier to remember keyboard combinations. But that's just me.

No, not just you. Mouse is a productivity killer (of course, I mean working with texts, not something like CAD). Instead of a gaming mouse, I think, it is better to buy a keyboard with additional programmable keys. And, yes, learn and customize keyboard shortcuts of your favorite programs.

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Logitech had some good designs, but their devices don’t last very long…

My experience is opposite: I have an MX1100. It is quite old now but runs like a baby. The only reason why I can’t recommend this perfect device: it is not manufactured anymore. By the way, it does have additional buttons, but I don’t use them when working (see above).

[Edited at 2017-11-23 06:59 GMT]

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
Go for it Nov 23, 2017

There are no cons (aside from the investment). After a while you will wonder how you could ever manage without.

I am right-handed. Besides my keyboard, I am currently using these gadgets:
... See more
There are no cons (aside from the investment). After a while you will wonder how you could ever manage without.

I am right-handed. Besides my keyboard, I am currently using these gadgets:
-- for the right hand
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/peripherals/2010/09/20/logitech-g700-review/1
-- for the left hand
https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Naga-Left-Handed-Programmable-Adjustible/dp/B00EO2ECUY
-- further to the left
https://www2.razerzone.com/au-en/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-nostromo

I program all buttons on all devices exactly to my liking with this ingenious software:
http://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/
I highly recommend this software for any gadget-laden translator with a Mac (I don't know if there's a Windows equivalent). Once you have the hang of it, there are countless possibilities to make the workflow easier.
Collapse

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Nov 23, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
There is one important thing you need to consider before moving more functions to your pointing device: the risk of repetitive strain injury. If you use a pointing device too intensively, you risk ending up with strained muscles.

Quite the opposite... if it's an ergonomic mouse and you assign the right functions to the thumb buttons (delete, enter, concordance search, NBSP, go to next segment), you don't have to constantly move back and forth between mouse and keyboard, which saves time and health.

[Edited at 2017-11-23 07:31 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
MX1100 Nov 23, 2017

esperantisto wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Logitech had some good designs, but their devices don’t last very long…

My experience is opposite: I have an MX1100. It is quite old now but runs like a baby. The only reason why I can’t recommend this perfect device: it is not manufactured anymore. By the way, it does have additional buttons, but I don’t use them when working (see above).

That isn't a trackball. I only meant trackballs.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Ergonomic Nov 23, 2017

Jan Truper wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Quite the opposite... if it's an ergonomic mouse and you assign the right functions to the thumb buttons (delete, enter, concordance search, NBSP, go to next segment), you don't have to constantly move back and forth between mouse and keyboard, which saves time and health.

"Ergonomic" doesn't mean it can't give you repetitive strain injury or muscle tension if you use it intensively.

It is unlikely that moving your hand from mouse to keyboard will give you RSI or otherwise damage your health.

In any case, one has to be aware of any hint of muscle tension or pain when spending a lot of time on a computer every day.

Sara Tirabassi
Sara Tirabassi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2014)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for sharing your point of view! Nov 23, 2017

Repetitive strain injury is something to keep in mind, for sure, but all depends on which functions I map and how my body reacts... I promise I'll pay attention to any pain I feel!
Actually I do some hand/joint excercises from time to time, to limit this kind of problems and be aware of possible injuries.

Besides, also the idea of an additional keyboard is interesting. I wouldn't buy a keyboard with extra keys because I like to work on my laptop when I need to research specif
... See more
Repetitive strain injury is something to keep in mind, for sure, but all depends on which functions I map and how my body reacts... I promise I'll pay attention to any pain I feel!
Actually I do some hand/joint excercises from time to time, to limit this kind of problems and be aware of possible injuries.

Besides, also the idea of an additional keyboard is interesting. I wouldn't buy a keyboard with extra keys because I like to work on my laptop when I need to research specific terminology (living in a college town has this upside: I have access at specialized libraries all the time, and for some texts I like to go and work there so I have all the specific reference texts at hand). But the additional keyboard would be nice and portable.

I am open to other opinions and suggestions (Jan Trooper, thank you for the links!)

Sara
Collapse

Francis Murphy (X)
Francis Murphy (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:45
French to English
Special keypad Nov 27, 2017

I have MQ8.2 and DNS 13 running on Windows 10 for FR to EN translation. I am curious about how to operate in the most efficient way and am considering buying a command keypad like this one:
XK-24 USB Programmable Keypad (see xkeys.com), about $150 at Amazon in the USA. It is described in this video by Jim Wardell, at around minute 37:30, her
... See more
I have MQ8.2 and DNS 13 running on Windows 10 for FR to EN translation. I am curious about how to operate in the most efficient way and am considering buying a command keypad like this one:
XK-24 USB Programmable Keypad (see xkeys.com), about $150 at Amazon in the USA. It is described in this video by Jim Wardell, at around minute 37:30, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWQOwBUS-kM&t=2506s
The keypad seems to work well for him, but the video is three years old. He also mentions voice commands at minute 35:00. So far I have used DNS just for the text, not for giving commands to MemoQ.

Aside from using voice recognition, it would seem to be useful for simplifying some multi-key sequences down to one stroke.

I have no yet purchased it and am wondering whether others have tried this approach.

keypad
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Programmable gaming mouse to speed up translation tasks

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »