Is Adobe Export PDF any better than other PDF converters?
Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:55
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Oct 30, 2018

I usually ask my clients to convert PDFs for me so that they, and not I, take responsibility for any defects in formatting etc.

But I do occasionally convert PDFs myself. For that purpose I use ABBBY, which gives reasonable results so long as there are no tables, and a very old version of Acrobat Professional, which is about the same so far as quality is concerned.

Is Adobe Export PDF any better?

Mahmoud Mabrouk

Mahmoud Mabrouk
Mahmoud Mabrouk
Egypt
Local time: 11:55
English to Arabic
Yes Oct 30, 2018

Yes, Adobe is better in English and other languages that are Left to right
But I used ABBY in Arabic

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
You could try this one Oct 30, 2018

This is a bit off topic, but I could tell from my experience that BCL's PDF converter yields good results in respect of tables in files other than scanned ones.

Here is a link for the desktop version: https://www.pdfonline.com/easyconverter.
"Convert PDF to Word while preserving the table formatting, which can be copied to Excel for further editing."
The cost is $19.95.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:55
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
404 Oct 30, 2018

Georgi Kovachev wrote:

This is a bit off topic, but I could tell from my experience that BCL's PDF converter yields good results in respect of tables in files other than scanned ones.

Here is a link for the desktop version: https://www.pdfonline.com/easyconverter.
"Convert PDF to Word while preserving the table formatting, which can be copied to Excel for further editing."
The cost is $19.95.

Thanks Georgi but I get a 404 (see screen shot). And anyway it doesn't seem to work on MacOS.

Thanks anyway !

Screen Shot

[Edited at 2018-10-30 11:24 GMT]

Oscar Martin
Oscar Martin
Spain
Local time: 10:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Adobe Acrobat Export Oct 30, 2018

Hi all,

Adobe Acrobat export to Word yields goods results in general as long as the pdf contains editable text. In my experience, I avoid exporting to Powerpoint since layout is a crap, invisible characters are not shown and you can get a text exported into several text boxes.

In case of scanned pdf files, I prefer Abby FineReader since it allows you to select and define areas as images, table, text, etc.

Generally, I do not use Abby FineReader with editabl
... See more
Hi all,

Adobe Acrobat export to Word yields goods results in general as long as the pdf contains editable text. In my experience, I avoid exporting to Powerpoint since layout is a crap, invisible characters are not shown and you can get a text exported into several text boxes.

In case of scanned pdf files, I prefer Abby FineReader since it allows you to select and define areas as images, table, text, etc.

Generally, I do not use Abby FineReader with editable pdf files because you must check spelling.

You can also open editable pdf files with MS Word. However, Word tends to add space before and after paragraphs and layout must be fixed.

Oscar.
Collapse

Mikhail Popov

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:55
English to French
+ ...
ABBYY settings Oct 30, 2018

ABBYY works with tables, as long as the app is not left alone to decide what is a table. IOW, the document must be analyzed manually, and tables, as well as other formatted text such as lists, etc., selected and marked as they should, because ABBYYs auto mode is not very good at recognizing them.

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Try to open the PDF Desktop tab Oct 30, 2018

Hi Tom,

You could try to open the PDF Desktop tab, located in the black bar below the Search field.

I do not really know if the PDF converter works on Mac or not.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Adobe Export PDF any better than other PDF converters?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »