Jennifer Allen
Jennifer Allen
Spain
Local time: 10:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 26, 2019

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of joining a translator's association in order to gain more clients.

I live in Dublin but am from Northern Ireland, so am lucky enough to have dual Irish/British citizenship.

I have an MA Translation and about 5 years experience working professionally. My languages are ES/FR>EN.

Any advice/past experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Hani Hassaan

Hani Hassaan
Hani Hassaan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 11:34
English to Arabic
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Institute of Translation and Interpreting is a good option. Mar 26, 2019

Hello Jennie,
Institute of Translation and Interpreting has a database of translators where the clients can find you there, I do not know if it is for certified only or it is for all members, please check their website:
https://www.iti.org.uk

Good luck.

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Fish and ponds Mar 26, 2019

I have been a member of the CIOL and ITI in the UK for a few years and have gained new clients through both.

I looked into joining Ireland's ITIA at one point but never did in the end, mainly because I didn't need the extra business.

Of course you could join associations in both countries, but if you only want to join one at a time, since you say that your aim is to gain more clients, I would be inclined to go for one of the UK associations, if only because the UK has
... See more
I have been a member of the CIOL and ITI in the UK for a few years and have gained new clients through both.

I looked into joining Ireland's ITIA at one point but never did in the end, mainly because I didn't need the extra business.

Of course you could join associations in both countries, but if you only want to join one at a time, since you say that your aim is to gain more clients, I would be inclined to go for one of the UK associations, if only because the UK has a much larger population and membership of an association here would give you access to a larger client base. But then the pool of rival translators will also be bigger - especially for your language pairs - so you'd be a smaller fish in a bigger pond. I'm afraid I've no idea how many queries you'd be likely to get through the ITIA's directory, but I can tell you that for French-English, I get very few indeed through the CIOL's Find-a-Linguist directory. Most of the enquiries I get are for Romanian-English. I see that there are not all that many professional members of the ITIA for your language pairs, so it's a question of how big a fish you want to be and how big a pond you want to swim in!
Collapse

Ann Marie Bohan
Ann Marie Bohan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 10:34
German to English
+ ...
ITIA Mar 27, 2019

Hi Jennie

I am based in Dublin and I'm a professional member of the ITIA. I have got one good customer and a few enquiries based on my membership. In recent years, the association has also run some good workshops (there is one coming up on financial translation) and presentations. Also, I think it is just nice to meet up with colleagues who are often in the same situation and chew the fat about the various trials and tribulations we all face!

[Edited at 2019-03-27 13:45 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best Irish/British Association to Join?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »