Wordfast Anywhere, new multilingual U.I. Translate it and get rewards!
Thread poster: Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:43
English to French
+ ...
Apr 10, 2018

Hello to all.

A great new feature has arrived. You can now change the User Interface language in Wordfast Anywhere. This means all dialogues and functions will be in the language of your choice.

At present the U.I. has been fully (or almost) translated in two languages: French and Spanish.
The good thing is that Wordfast has decided to open this translation work to the community (similarly at what ProZ.com does to localize the website). And it should be worth your
... See more
Hello to all.

A great new feature has arrived. You can now change the User Interface language in Wordfast Anywhere. This means all dialogues and functions will be in the language of your choice.

At present the U.I. has been fully (or almost) translated in two languages: French and Spanish.
The good thing is that Wordfast has decided to open this translation work to the community (similarly at what ProZ.com does to localize the website). And it should be worth your while:

Once you reach a certain amount of translating (or reviewing) you will be rewarded either:

_ A Wordfast Studio license
_ Or a free fuzzy match registration for a Wordfast User conference.

This isn’t too bad I think.
To translate the U.I. you don’t need anything, you can do it directly online, they have created a dedicated page for this.

I just wanted to put the information out there for all that could benefit from this.

I have posted a quick tutorial on my YouTube channel to show how it works. Watch it here:
https://youtu.be/k8smvi-aPuc

My bests
😊
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:43
Member (2006)
French to English
Time limit for the conference Apr 10, 2018

Thanks for sharing Fi2!

Just a quick heads up if you are striving for a Fuzzy Match conference ticket…

The DEADLINE for this reward is May 15!

The fuzzy match ticket is now valued at €380. Check out the conference website for more details about what it includes:
http://wordfast.com/conference/2018/register_now

Hope to see you in Cascais

On your marks… get set… GO!

John

lawyer

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The UI translation's UI Apr 10, 2018

Fi2 n Co wrote:
The good thing is that Wordfast has decided to open this translation work to the community (similarly at what ProZ.com does to localize the website).

wfa ui translation

Yes... yes... oddly no option to translate WFA's UI in WFA, though. For each segment, you type the translation in the little box, and then click the "Save" or "Update" button with your mouse. And then, to move to the next or previous segment, you... just... click in the next or previous box.

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Faster than it looks! Apr 10, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote: And then, to move to the next or previous segment, you... just... click in the next or previous box.

Hello Samuel,

Have you tried it? It looks like the screenshot is from the video. In the video I used the mouse because it is a good tool for viewers to follow what is being explained.

However, I’ve used the system for translating and reviewing and it is super fast:
You can navigate with the Tab key:

1/Click in the first Box and type your translation
2/Press Tab, that will take you to the Save/Update button. Press enter to save/Update
3/Press Tab again and it will take you immediately to the box below.

Super fast, no tag hassle. It doesn’t feel bad at all to use it for translating, and the learning curve with the Tab key is super fast. Not to mention not having to wait for a heavy software to boot and fill up the RAM… 😉 I liked it anyway.

My bests 😊

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
See you there! Apr 11, 2018

John Di Rico wrote: The DEADLINE for this reward is May 15!

Thanks for bringing that up!
I don’t think there’s a deadline on the Wordfast Studio reward though.

For those interested in the conference, there will be plenty to learn about Wordfast Pro, Wordfast Anywhere and handling various file types. And believe me, Portuguese food is tasty 😉! And I’ll be able to see you there.

My bests.

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
The translation of local file May 5, 2018

Fi2 n Co wrote:

However, I’ve used the system for translating and reviewing and it is super fast:
You can navigate with the Tab key:

1/Click in the first Box and type your translation
2/Press Tab, that will take you to the Save/Update button. Press enter to save/Update
3/Press Tab again and it will take you immediately to the box below.

Super fast, no tag hassle. It doesn’t feel bad at all to use it for translating, and the learning curve with the Tab key is super fast. 😊

I have machine-translated the local file, which contains all the sentences of the "all bundles".
I made a presentation in Czech:

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2018-04/13/en/00.html

You can download local files from the site 05

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2018-04/13/cs/05.html

Statistics for information (statistics.zip) is on the page 08

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2018-04/13/cs/08.html

I had a problem with on-line translation. On a page 03

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2018-04/13/cs/03.html

is "Error saving translation" - I was not able to save one translation.

Milan

[Edited at 2018-05-05 18:33 GMT]

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
That's a GOOD thing? May 5, 2018

Fi2 n Co wrote:

The good thing is that Wordfast has decided to open this translation work to the community (similarly at what ProZ.com does to localize the website).

The good thing would be finding a competent translator to have the job done, rather than scrounging free services (from anyone who is just able to type) that will undoubtedly lead to haphazard results, as is quite common in "community translation".

Should I remind you that our whole industry is based on companies not doing what Wordfast is trying to do with its UI?

[Edited at 2018-05-05 13:11 GMT]

Jorge Payan

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Partly agree May 5, 2018

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Fi2 n Co wrote:

The good thing would be finding a competent translator to have the job done, rather than scrounging free services (from anyone who is just able to type) that will undoubtedly lead to haphazard results, as is quite common in "community translation".

Should I remind you that our whole industry is based on companies not doing what Wordfast is trying to do with its UI?

I agree with the second statement. As for the first, you actually get something in return, so it's not really "scrounging free services", although IMO crowdsourcing (what will become a patchwork) translation is always a bad idea, especially if it involves a professional, paid-for product (i.e. we're not talking about fansubs for an anime or wiki articles for a video game...).

Jorge Payan

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 07:43
Russian to English
+ ...
Dogs get rewards May 5, 2018

I'd rather get paid for the professional service I offer. This isn't a hobby, at least for me it isn't.

That a for-profit company finds the temerity to solicit what amounts to free services from the very industry it sells its product to is outright disgusting. Talk about business ethics...

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No catch? May 5, 2018

Hi

Putting things in perspective, I think it’s healthy to remind that the CAT tool to which I’m referring here (Wordfast Anywhere) is entirely free. So basically, they’re rewarding users of a free tool for their contribution work with actual rewards. I can’t see the catch…
Along the same lines, ProZ.com has been using a similar system to localize the website, off-course it could always be improved.

It is a strategic choice for companies to decide if the
... See more
Hi

Putting things in perspective, I think it’s healthy to remind that the CAT tool to which I’m referring here (Wordfast Anywhere) is entirely free. So basically, they’re rewarding users of a free tool for their contribution work with actual rewards. I can’t see the catch…
Along the same lines, ProZ.com has been using a similar system to localize the website, off-course it could always be improved.

It is a strategic choice for companies to decide if they will contract translators or crowdsource. With the latter, translators will get rewards and publicity. Then translators can decide too whether one or other is worth their time and efforts (not to mention ridiculously low pricing job offers that we can come across rather often on the platforms…).

My bests to all.
Collapse

Jorge Payan

Milan Condak
English to Czech
A localisation of ProZ.com May 5, 2018

Fi2 n Co wrote:

Wordfast Anywhere is free but UI translation is for reward for 3 translator for one target language.

I translated "one bundle" for ProZ.com. I received from Czech localisation team leader one XLIFF file. I was WFC licenced user. I asked for help Aleksandr Okunev and he wrote a taglist
(XML XLIFF taglist zip 2.5 kb) for his tool Tortoise Tagger.

http://www.nemadeka.com/tagger.htm

It worked in MS Word 2000 (I had to go back from MS Word 2003). The tagger enabled to translate DOC with Wordfast Classic. The translating was made localy.

In XLIFF and in tagged DOC was no repetition of segments. The reward was only an information I was member of localisation team. That was all.

On-line localisation of UI WFA: There are 92 segments with repetition.

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2018-04/13/cs/06.html

/V 1690 segmentech je 1598 jedinečných segmentů (92 segmentů se opakuje)./

In 1690 segments are 1598 unique segments (92 segments repeats).

Milan

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
How many words? May 6, 2018

Hi Milan,
What was the total word count?

Thanks!
John

Milan Condak
English to Czech
In DGT-OmegaT 9.662 May 6, 2018

John Di Rico wrote:

Hi Milan,
What was the total word count?

Thanks!
John

Hi John,

My data are from April 13 2018:

AntConc: 9.664

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2018-04/13/cs/05.html

V programu AntConc jsem vytvořil seznam slov.
Celkový počet: 9.664
Jedinečná slova: 1.706
---
OmegaT: I did not count
---
DGT-OmegaT: 9.662

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2018-04/13/cs/08.html

You can download the file
Soubory ke stažení "statistiky.zip"

Milan

Milan Condak
English to Czech
New presentation on WFA localisation Jun 17, 2018

I created the second and the last presentation of localisation of WFA.

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2018-05/18/cs/00.html

03 Czech language user interface
04 Count of translated and revised words

Pages 05, 06, 07, 08 using Microsoft Terminology from TBX files in TMX and TXT files.

Milan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Anywhere, new multilingual U.I. Translate it and get rewards!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »