CafeTran, the CAT tool included in ProZ.com membership, integrates ChatGPT
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Jun 12, 2023

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that, as announced here, a new version of CafeTran Espresso with integrated AI has been just released (click here to read the original announcement).

This new version called CT-L1 Linguist allows users to apply a wide range of linguistic functions such as translation
... See more
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that, as announced here, a new version of CafeTran Espresso with integrated AI has been just released (click here to read the original announcement).

This new version called CT-L1 Linguist allows users to apply a wide range of linguistic functions such as translation, correction, definition of terms, rephrasing and shortening of sentences, suggestion of synonyms.

In case you don't know, CafeTran is included in the ProZ.com Plus subscription. If you are a Plus subscriber, you can start using this new version now. If you are not, consider upgrading today to enjoy this and many other benefits, https://www.proz.com/professional-membership

Have a nice week!

Lucia
Collapse

Joan SM (X)

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quotes an empty post
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post
Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:52
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Data Protection Warranty? Jun 15, 2023

May I ask how data is protected in this case?
AFAIK, where GPT is integrated all data is sent to OpenAI's servers and then used to further train their AI bot.
(Note the irony here: paying to integrate GPT actually means you pay to be allowed to enhance their product...)

As translators we are not allowed to disclose any clients' information, so I wonder how this is handled in such cases.

In Italy the Data Protection Authority only allowed the use of ChatGPT
... See more
AFAIK, where GPT is integrated all data is sent to OpenAI's servers and then used to further train their AI bot.
(Note the irony here: paying to integrate GPT actually means you pay to be allowed to enhance their product...)

As translators we are not allowed to disclose any clients' information, so I wonder how this is handled in such cases.

In Italy the Data Protection Authority only allowed the use of ChatGPT again after OpenAI integrated information about their data use as well as the option to forbit them to use your inputs and the conversations you have with the bot.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Miranda Drew
Laurent Di Raimondo

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Privacy Jun 15, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

So true!

In Italy the Data Protection Authority only allowed the use of ChatGPT again after OpenAI integrated information about their data use as well as the option to forbit them to use your inputs and the conversations you have with the bot.

Has legislation already been passed in Italy to prohibit such use of information by ChatGPT and other AI systems?

Then Italy would be ahead of the EU. Hopefully the EU will come up with proper legislation in this area very soon.

[Edited at 2023-06-15 09:01 GMT]

Zea_Mays
Laurent Di Raimondo

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not quite true Jun 15, 2023

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:
A new version of CafeTran Espresso with integrated AI has been just released. ... This new version called CT-L1 Linguist...

No, the new version of CafeTran Espresso is not called "CT-L1 Linguist". Instead, the new version of CafeTran contains a tab from which Chat GPT can be accessed. This tab is called "CT-L1 Linguist". Here is the tab in action:

cafetran mt prompt anwer

See also my post here:
https://www2.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translator_coop/362615.html

[Edited at 2023-06-15 09:32 GMT]

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Italy Jun 15, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

Has legislation already been passed in Italy to prohibit such use of information by ChatGPT and other AI systems?

Then Italy would be ahead of the EU. Hopefully the EU will come up with proper legislation in this area very soon.

[Edited at 2023-06-15 09:01 GMT]

ChatGPT was shut down for a time in Italy because of data protection issues and only allowed to go live again after adding the mentioned information and the option for the single user to deny OpenAI the use of the data they enter in the chat. If you deny this use, conversations are deleted after 1 month.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Zea Jun 15, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

I'm guessing it's not protected at all, but the user has full control over what content is sent to the bot. CafeTran only sends content to the bot when the user presses a button. Sadly, at this time, using the buttons causes the full text of the source or target field to be sent to Chat GPT, so if you want to query a single word or phrase, you have to use the "chat" feature and type your request manually. CafeTran does not send information to Chat GPT automatically (e.g. as soon as you move to the next segment), so you're always in control of whether information is sent or not.

This depends on your agreement with the client (although I agree that client information is generally meant to be confidential regardless of whether you have signed a document saying so). Your or the client's country of residence may also have laws about the protection of personally identifiable information, so if you do use MT and your source text contains such data, you should know what you're allowed to do or not do.

In Italy the Data Protection Authority only allowed the use of ChatGPT again after OpenAI integrated information about their data use as well as the option to forbid them to use your inputs and the conversations you have with the bot.

Yes, this article explains it.

[Edited at 2023-06-15 09:24 GMT]

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Alerting on Data Protection Issues Jun 15, 2023

I am receiving various announcements on AI being implemented in product x and y and z.
Only one of the firms explained the privacy aspect and how they handle it.
But alerting users on data protection issues linked to ChatGPT and the like IMO should be obvious today.

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
OpenAI's API data usage policies Jun 15, 2023

Quoting the information on API data usage from OpenAI's website:

"1. OpenAI will not use data submitted by customers via our API to train or improve our models, unless you explicitly decide to share your data with us for this purpose. You can opt-in to share data.
2. Any data sent through the API will be retained for abuse and misuse monitoring purposes for a maximum of 30 days, after which it wil
... See more
Quoting the information on API data usage from OpenAI's website:

"1. OpenAI will not use data submitted by customers via our API to train or improve our models, unless you explicitly decide to share your data with us for this purpose. You can opt-in to share data.
2. Any data sent through the API will be retained for abuse and misuse monitoring purposes for a maximum of 30 days, after which it will be deleted (unless otherwise required by law)."
Collapse

Hans Lenting

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Selection Jun 15, 2023

>Sadly, at this time, using the buttons causes the full text of the source or target field to be sent to Chat GPT, so if you want to query a single word or phrase, you have to use the "chat" feature and type your request manually.

You don't need to type your request in the chat editor. If you want to query a single word or phrase, CafeTran sends the selected word or phrase in the source or target segment editor.

[Edited at 2023-06-15 11:04 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Found this Jun 15, 2023

Thank you Igor!

In the meantime I found this on zdnet.com:

Will my conversations with ChatGPT be used for training?

When you're familiarizing yourself with how to use ChatGPT, you may wonder if your specific conversations will be used for training and, if so, who will be able to view your conversations. Your conversations can be viewed by OpenAI and used as training data to refine its systems unless you have a Plus membership, so I wouldn't enter any
... See more
Thank you Igor!

In the meantime I found this on zdnet.com:

Will my conversations with ChatGPT be used for training?

When you're familiarizing yourself with how to use ChatGPT, you may wonder if your specific conversations will be used for training and, if so, who will be able to view your conversations. Your conversations can be viewed by OpenAI and used as training data to refine its systems unless you have a Plus membership, so I wouldn't enter any personal or private information into the chat window.

Also: This new AI tool will summarize YouTube videos for you in seconds

The prompts you enter when you use ChatGPT are also permanently saved to your account, unless you delete them. If you turn off your chat history, OpenAI will retain all conversations for 30 days before permanently deleting them to monitor for abuse.

How do I turn off chat history?

Turning off chat history on ChatGPT is pretty simple, just follow these steps:

Go to the chat window at Chat.OpenAI.com
Click on your account on the bottom left of the screen.
Next to Data Controls, click on Show.
Toggle off Chat History & Training
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

CafeTran, the CAT tool included in ProZ.com membership, integrates ChatGPT

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »