Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:44
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 27

Do I understand it correctly? Is Proz introducing it's own AI? (please see below)

Hello Premium Members!

I look forward to introducing you to ProZ.com's new AI tool Pastey. You can book your personal intro session with me here: https://calendar.app.google/ujF5AH3R3q59eVkk9

How it works:

I will provide you with a text file with some s
... See more
Do I understand it correctly? Is Proz introducing it's own AI? (please see below)

Hello Premium Members!

I look forward to introducing you to ProZ.com's new AI tool Pastey. You can book your personal intro session with me here: https://calendar.app.google/ujF5AH3R3q59eVkk9

How it works:

I will provide you with a text file with some sample text as well as a download link for Pastey.

In our call via Google Meet, you will share your screen with me and will walk you through the features while you can experiment with the sample text.

Your productivity will increase - just like that.

I will also be doing some Meetups over the next couple of weeks to share updates and final touches to Pastey. The dates and registration liks will be shared here.

Talk soon!

Tanya
Collapse

Becca Resnik

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Hi, Robert Jan 27

Just the other day, I noticed this new 'AI tool' being advertised in the Forum area, and mentioned it in this ongoing thread,
https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/363811-please_remove_chatgpt_option_from_kudoz-page13.html#3027856
As a non-Plus (but definitely nonplussed) member, let alone a Premium on
... See more
Just the other day, I noticed this new 'AI tool' being advertised in the Forum area, and mentioned it in this ongoing thread,
https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/363811-please_remove_chatgpt_option_from_kudoz-page13.html#3027856
As a non-Plus (but definitely nonplussed) member, let alone a Premium one, I cannot access any additional info.
Would anybody who knows more about Pastey (yuck!) care to share?
But, yes, regrettably this appears to be the path ProZ is pursuing, and quite aggressively.
Collapse

Becca Resnik
writeaway
Bernhard Sulzer
ibz
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:44
Member (2008)
Italian to English
What Jan 27

Barbara Carrara wrote:

....this appears to be the path ProZ is pursuing, and quite aggressively.

What, do you think, is the reasoning behind this?

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
I'm not scared* Jan 27

Barbara Carrara wrote:
But, yes, regrettably this appears to be the path ProZ is pursuing, and quite aggressively.

Let's look at ProZ.com's track record of success in the various initiatives it has engaged in over the past 20 years.

As far as I can see, it has got two things right, the first of which was the building of a forum in 2001. Personally, I think it would have worked a little better if management had not immediately thereafter gone to sleep, Rip van Winkle-like, for about 15 years, before waking up, rubbing their eyes, introducing the "like" function, then returning to an (apparently pleasant) slumber. But despite the general clunkiness it gives people like ourselves a place to be snarky to each other and put the occasional faint smile on the face of consenting adult participants.

The second thing that they did right was the Blue Board, which for all its flaws is still a useful function for members, if treated with caution.

Most of the other projects ProZ.com has touched have turned to mud rather than gold, such as the risible TM-Town idea.

In the stock market, people use the word "contra-indicator" to mean a person who is reliably wrong, and therefore quite useful in their own way. "Peter Smith is buying Apple? Really? Oh, that's worrying, but thanks for letting me know. We'll start selling our position."

I suspect that ProZ.com is a bit of a contra-indicator for the translation industry, and that its imminent appearance on the AI stage will actually mark the point at which the non-human intelligence industry begins a prolonged downturn punctuated at some point by a loud popping noise indicating the bursting of the AI bubble.

Fortunately, this being ProZ.com, it is unlikely that they have invested any significant resources into it and therefore the damage to this forum should be minimal.

Dan

*With apologies to Eighth Wonder
**EDIT Link to video with a 20-year-old Patsy Kensit and some cute English bull terriers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-PYqUHfTMA

[Edited at 2024-01-27 19:02 GMT]

Barbara Carrara
Becca Resnik
Jorge Payan
P.L.F. Persio
MariaOG
Anna Sarah Krämer

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Let me think... Jan 27

Tom in London wrote:

Barbara Carrara wrote:

....this appears to be the path ProZ is pursuing, and quite aggressively.

What, do you think, is the reasoning behind this?

As a non-AI, non-ChatGPT user, I still find it hard to believe ProZ is doing this because they are on our side (as one of their slogans go). Financial gain would be a top-ranking reason, or they wouldn't push AI/ChatGPT as hard as they are doing and across the site, from Quick Polls, to Fora, KudoZ, blog ( https://go.proz.com/blog/tag/ai ), and the newly launched, AI-centred, Premium membership.
Or, it could just be a 'follow-the-fad-of-the-mo' thingy...
Mind you, we could ask Henry and the ProZ staff, but considering how that went with the 'Please remove ChatGPT from KudoZ' thread, I doubt we would receive a straightforward answer.

Let's hope Dan's insight and far-sightedness are true, and wait for the AI bubble to burst.

writeaway
Becca Resnik
ibz
P.L.F. Persio
Tom in London
Giovana Zaltron

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
LOLs Jan 28

Dan Lucas wrote:
Most of the other projects ProZ.com has touched have turned to mud rather than gold, such as the risible TM-Town idea.

Except that TAUS had the same idea but with an AI approach - you sell your TMs as food for LLMs.

In the stock market, people use the word "contra-indicator" to mean a person who is reliably wrong, and therefore quite useful in their own way. "Peter Smith is buying Apple? Really? Oh, that's worrying, but thanks for letting me know. We'll start selling our position."

I suspect that ProZ.com is a bit of a contra-indicator for the translation industry, and that its imminent appearance on the AI stage will actually mark the point at which the non-human intelligence industry begins a prolonged downturn punctuated at some point by a loud popping noise indicating the bursting of the AI bubble.

Let's look at ProZ.com's track record of success in the various initiatives it has engaged in over the past 20 years.

As far as I can see, it has got two things right, the first of which was the building of a forum in 2001. Personally, I think it would have worked a little better if management had not immediately thereafter gone to sleep, Rip van Winkle-like, for about 15 years, before waking up, rubbing their eyes, introducing the "like" function, then returning to an (apparently pleasant) slumber. But despite the general clunkiness it gives people like ourselves a place to be snarky to each other and put the occasional faint smile on the face of consenting adult participants.

The second thing that they did right was the Blue Board, which for all its flaws is still a useful function for members, if treated with caution.

I would put the Blue Board first.
In the second place I would put KudoZ.
The forum is a great thing especially for anyone who grew up with this type of instrument. I think it has helped hundreds or even thousands of people in their language services journey.

P.L.F. Persio
Michele Fauble
Anna Sarah Krämer
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
to ai or not to ai Jan 28

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Their own AI or their own MT tool?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I'm ahead Jan 28

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Let's hope Dan's insight and far-sightedness are true, and wait for the AI bubble to burst.

Yes - it feels good to have already got tired of the whole AI thing and moved on. Proz will catch up, eventually.

Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
AI bubble Jan 28

Dan Lucas wrote:

Fortunately, this being ProZ.com, it is unlikely that they have invested any significant resources into it and therefore the damage to this forum should be minimal.

An interesting read: https://locusmag.com/2023/12/commentary-cory-doctorow-what-kind-of-bubble-is-ai/

Dan Lucas
Michele Fauble
Tom in London
Anna Sarah Krämer
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Neirda
Neirda  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:44
Chinese to French
+ ...
The bubble will downsize Jan 30

Tom in London wrote:

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Yes - it feels good to have already got tired of the whole AI thing and moved on. Proz will catch up, eventually.

I agree on Dan's views on mostly everything, but I don't think that AI bubble is going to burst, but will instead probably get back to earth when people learn to make the difference between the technology, its ups and downs, and the buzzword.
Much like the internet in the early 2000. Unlike last's years and frankly most of last decade's buzzwords "advances" in computing technology (cryptocurrencies, NFT, metaverses to quote a few), AI (as in transformers-processed content) is a real advance with real implications.

But right now, in the world of technology, AI is the word you need to slap over if you want to:
- Get the investor's ear.
- Stay relevant in the search engines.
Regardless of whatever underlying technology is being actually used, because investors and the general public don't know better yet.

Proz is no exception.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Not likely Jan 30

Zea_Mays wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Their own AI or their own MT tool?

Given that to create "a truely own" AI engine you need to be the size of Google or Microsoft, I have a nagging suspicion that in this case "own AI" most likely means "we put our 'Proz' sticker over someone else's AI".

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
AI isn't going anywhere Jan 30

Neirda wrote:
I agree on Dan's views on mostly everything, but I don't think that AI bubble is going to burst, but will instead probably get back to earth when people learn to make the difference between the technology, its ups and downs, and the buzzword.

The gales of the AI winter that began in the late 1980s blew the froth off the top, but the latte itself was still there in the bottom of the cup. Technologies like fuzzy logic, expert systems, and neural networks didn't disappear but rather continued to evolve with reduced funding levels (and perhaps with different names). Advances like the ones described in the 2017 "Attention is all you need" paper are very noticeable, but they still built on what came before...

AI in its many guises has been here for a long time and its use is only going to become more widespread, and that's a good thing (provided we don't hit a singularity). There will be fluctuations in investment and interest, but that is the case for every industry. Over the long term it will even out.

Regards,
Dan

[Edited at 2024-01-30 07:32 GMT]

Becca Resnik

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Cut & Pastey Jan 30

Not sure it's a great name for an AI tool...

Zea_Mays
P.L.F. Persio
Becca Resnik
Dan Lucas
Michele Fauble
Anna Sarah Krämer

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
What would be? Jan 30

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Not sure it's a great name for an AI tool...

Autoshite?

P.L.F. Persio
Becca Resnik
Axel Dittmer

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Maybe... Jan 30

Christopher Schröder wrote:
Autoshite?

Becca Resnik
P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

ProzGPT?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »