Further to the poll on physical inactivity, here's some good news
Thread poster: Kay Denney
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:12
French to English
May 20, 2013

Since nobody will be reading yesterday's poll today, I thought I'd start a new topic here.

Nicole mentioned people who drive 2 miles to the gym, walk for four miles on the treadmill then, obviously, drive back.

This article shows that despite doing the equivalent of a strenuous workout in the course of their job, hotel maids were remarkably unfit. Simply telling them that their work was all good exercise led to them toning up without changing anything in their lifesty
... See more
Since nobody will be reading yesterday's poll today, I thought I'd start a new topic here.

Nicole mentioned people who drive 2 miles to the gym, walk for four miles on the treadmill then, obviously, drive back.

This article shows that despite doing the equivalent of a strenuous workout in the course of their job, hotel maids were remarkably unfit. Simply telling them that their work was all good exercise led to them toning up without changing anything in their lifestyle!

I could have written the conclusion myself:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17792517
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:12
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Ouf. May 20, 2013

Did that ivory tower Harvard guy also take into account that hotel maids are paid something like $3.60 per hour? Were the evaluated maids reimbursed during the course of the test, so they could afford better food than a greasy 99 cent value meal at some junk food venue?

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:12
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Maybe they straightened their backs and held their heads up... May 21, 2013

This reminds me of a tale from 40 years ago of an office typist who was always slim enough to catch the boss's eye, so he gave her an electric typewriter. She soon learned not to pound it like the old one, and started putting on weight...

I don't meet a lot of hotel maids as a rule, but when I do, they tend to be among the meek of the earth.

I know from my own job hunting, in periods when any honest day's pay was better than none, that people regard the job as low statu
... See more
This reminds me of a tale from 40 years ago of an office typist who was always slim enough to catch the boss's eye, so he gave her an electric typewriter. She soon learned not to pound it like the old one, and started putting on weight...

I don't meet a lot of hotel maids as a rule, but when I do, they tend to be among the meek of the earth.

I know from my own job hunting, in periods when any honest day's pay was better than none, that people regard the job as low status.

If you tell folk at the bottom of the social ladder (who often don't have the education etc. to work it out for themselves) that their lifestyle is not so bad after all, that alone might set off a reaction, however tiny.

Instead of crawling listelsssly around waiting till it was time to go home, did they give each room a little extra touch and begin to take pride in their work?

Placebo may be all in the mind, but so is the energy you put into any kind of work.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Further to the poll on physical inactivity, here's some good news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »