ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:37
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Jul 12, 2023

The following article is from the Forbes magazine, and titled Expats Rank the Best Places to Live in 2023. It gives a ranking of 53 countries around the world by expats.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2023/07/11/expats-rank-the-best-places-to-live-in-2023/?sh=7166df156079

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:37
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Meaningless Jul 12, 2023

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:

The following article is from the Forbes magazine, and titled Expats Rank the Best Places to Live in 2023. It gives a ranking of 53 countries around the world by expats.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2023/07/11/expats-rank-the-best-places-to-live-in-2023/?sh=7166df156079

These rankings are meaningless unless they include various factors. should be "the Best Places to Live IF you are..."

- white
- financially secure
- in good health
- fluent in the local language
- politically active
- etc.

[Edited at 2023-07-12 14:03 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)
Philip Lees
P.L.F. Persio
Tanja Oresnik
Tony Keily
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
expectations Jul 12, 2023

I just came across this post while I was having a fit of homesickness and complaining about it to my wife. The funny thing is the place that I feel homesick about isn't my actual hometown. I was born and bred in Istanbul, spending 39 years there, but I never truly liked it. Five years ago, we moved to Adana, a city infamous for its perceived criminality (which is untrue) and oppressively humid summers (which is sadly accurate), yet also celebrated for its culinary culture—the aspect I miss the... See more
I just came across this post while I was having a fit of homesickness and complaining about it to my wife. The funny thing is the place that I feel homesick about isn't my actual hometown. I was born and bred in Istanbul, spending 39 years there, but I never truly liked it. Five years ago, we moved to Adana, a city infamous for its perceived criminality (which is untrue) and oppressively humid summers (which is sadly accurate), yet also celebrated for its culinary culture—the aspect I miss the most. However, after the earthquake, we moved to Ankara this year, and I'm still struggling to come to terms with the fact that I'm no longer in Adana. We are seriously considering to move back. The restaurants here are subpar, and I suspect they learn how to cook by watching YouTube videos. What's the point of working hard all day if I can't enjoy good food?

I think the best place to live depends heavily on the expectations of an individual. I find these lists to be funny as they disregard what one is to expect living there and their priorities.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Barbara Carrara
Dalia Nour
Mr. Satan (X)
Philip Lees
P.L.F. Persio
Tony Keily

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Best places to live? Jul 13, 2023

This ranking is silly. I strongly disagree with Sharia law. There's no way I'd put Malaysia in the top five.

All countries have at least one thing that really ticks me off, anyway. No matter where I live, I won't be content with the situation. Maybe it's about time I program my own virtual world and transfer my consciousness into a digital form, so I could live there. I envy video game characters sometimes.

Jorge Payan
Philip Lees
Tom in London
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Tony Keily

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Greek to English
Arithmetic Jul 13, 2023

I tend not to trust statistical articles written by people who can't count past 15.

Ranked: The 15 Best Places to Live

1. Mexico
2. Spain
3. Panama
52. Norway
53. Kuwait

Tom in London
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Tony Keily

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
¡Arriba, Arriba! Jul 13, 2023

Mexico is great if you can handle a gun and have protection.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Is there a best place to live? Jul 13, 2023

I am looking for one but I don't find it... Portugal has seen better days.

Mr. Satan (X)

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The World’s Most Expensive Passports And Visas Jul 13, 2023

Another interesting article from Forbes magazine.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/duncanmadden/2023/07/10/travel-expenses-the-cheapest-and-most-expensive-passports-and-visas/?sh=457072f86f1e

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:37
French to English
+ ...
It seems specific to expats Jul 14, 2023

This ranking is probably based on expat mentality: the desire to live outside one's country of origin, yet never become fully integrated in the destination country. Sort of an international version of living in a gated community.

Tom in London
Jan Truper
Tony Keily
Kay Denney
Philippe Etienne

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Italian to English
+ ...
Expat? Jul 14, 2023

I've always hated the expression, with its implication of someone well-heeled dipping their toe into the water 'out foreign'. For sure, the migrants driven from their homes by war, hunger or climate are not considered expats.

As for places, it's hard to rate whole countries. I love the town I live in, 15,000 inhabitants and an hour or so from Milan. I would never consider living anywhere else. But I don't really now what 'Italy' is or how to rate it. Like Metin suggests in his comme
... See more
I've always hated the expression, with its implication of someone well-heeled dipping their toe into the water 'out foreign'. For sure, the migrants driven from their homes by war, hunger or climate are not considered expats.

As for places, it's hard to rate whole countries. I love the town I live in, 15,000 inhabitants and an hour or so from Milan. I would never consider living anywhere else. But I don't really now what 'Italy' is or how to rate it. Like Metin suggests in his comment above, a 'place' is something pretty specific.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jul 14, 2023

There are probably a million places I'd be happy living in if all you take into consideration are the cost of living, how welcoming the locals are, and stuff like that. However, I choose to live where my children can visit me easily: I'm just an hour from where my daughter lives and just four hours from where my son lives (and he's looking to move back closer to home). The most welcoming city on earth would have to also welcome both my kids for me to want to live there, and since they are both w... See more
There are probably a million places I'd be happy living in if all you take into consideration are the cost of living, how welcoming the locals are, and stuff like that. However, I choose to live where my children can visit me easily: I'm just an hour from where my daughter lives and just four hours from where my son lives (and he's looking to move back closer to home). The most welcoming city on earth would have to also welcome both my kids for me to want to live there, and since they are both with partners, that means the partners would have to come too... so sorry, Mexico, you're not for me.Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jul 14, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

These rankings are meaningless unless they include various factors. should be "the Best Places to Live IF you are..."

- white
- financially secure
- in good health
- fluent in the local language
- politically active
- etc.[Edited at 2023-07-12 14:03 GMT]

What else would you expect from Forbes? I mean, your first three points summed up their readership.

Tom in London
Mr. Satan (X)

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 03:37
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Strange, for saying the less. Jul 15, 2023

Colombia, which ranks 17th in the Forbes classification, could be the cheapest country for an expat to live in Latin America at this moment. However, it is also one of the countries where the working ... See more
Colombia, which ranks 17th in the Forbes classification, could be the cheapest country for an expat to live in Latin America at this moment. However, it is also one of the countries where the working visa is more expensive.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/duncanmadden/2023/07/10/travel-expenses-the-cheapest-and-most-expensive-passports-and-visas/?sh=91138606f1e9
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Visa Jul 15, 2023

Jorge Payan wrote:
Colombia, which ranks 17th in the Forbes classification, could be the cheapest country for an expat to live in Latin America at this moment. However, it is also one of the countries where the working visa is more expensive.

Or you could just abuse your tourist visa and trying to print out expat money under the table. This reminds me of a newspaper article I read a while ago, about a local economic turmoil allegedly caused by some eeeeeeeevil Russians™ who ran illegal motorcycle-renting businesses in Bali.

Going back to the original topic. With xenophobia reaching an all-time high, I don’t think right now is the best season to be a foreigner abroad. Speaking for myself, I am fully comfortable staying behind my castle walls.

[Edited at 2023-07-15 02:17 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
The Best Places to Live... Jul 15, 2023

...are those where you know and can estimate who your enemies will be.

chiang chihjen

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Best Places to Live

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »