Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:18
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Jan 5

Is a vegan diet good for translators in any particular way?

Sophie Devidze

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tom Jan 5

Tom in London wrote:

Sure. Just remember, if you're going to go the vegan route, you have to start your sentences with "Well, as a vegan, ...".

I also find that many translators or editors have an alternative lifestyle w.r.t. food choices -- many of my translator friends are vegans or vegetarians. If you have the budget to ensure that you get a variety of foods to produce the necessary proteins, then go for it. Keep in mind that it's difficult to get enough fat in on a vegan diet, so you'll have to be creative.

If you're asking whether a vegan diet is any better than any other particular diet, for translators, then the answer is "mostly no". One advantage of choosing a special diet may be that it forces you to make deliberate choices about your food, and that can help you maintain discipline as a freelance translator to ensure a healthy lifestyle. Freelancers often eat less healthy because their lifestyles are too flexible.

[Edited at 2024-01-05 14:48 GMT]

Yaotl Altan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
again Jan 5

Samuel Murray wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Sure. Just remember, if you're going to go the vegan route, you have to start your sentences with "Well, as a vegan, ...".

I also find that many translators or editors have an alternative lifestyle w.r.t. food choices -- many of my translator friends are vegans or vegetarians. If you have the budget to ensure that you get a variety of foods to produce the necessary proteins, then go for it. Keep in mind that it's difficult to get enough fat in on a vegan diet, so you'll have to be creative.

If you're asking whether a vegan diet is any better than any other particular diet, for translators, then the answer is "mostly no". One advantage of choosing a special diet may be that it forces you to make deliberate choices about your food, and that can help you maintain discipline as a freelance translator to ensure a healthy lifestyle. Freelancers often eat less healthy because their lifestyles are too flexible.

[Edited at 2024-01-05 14:48 GMT]

There's that w.r.t. thing again. I still don't know what it means.

I was asking the question because I heard on the radio today that going vegan is a great way to lose weight. I need to lose about 5 Kg and my own efforts at changing my diet are not working.

Sitting on your **** all day as a translator is not good for weight control.

Angie Garbarino
Christine Andersen

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jan 5

I'm vegetarian but leaning towards vegan, I might just take the plunge at some point. The main problem is that I always hated meat and fish so becoming a vegetarian was easy, whereas I really love dairy products and eggs are kind of everywhere. I did manage a wonderful vegan chocolate cake recently when we had a vegan over for dinner, so I'm thinking it might be easier nowadays than when I first contemplated it.

Samuel, a vegan diet is not expensive at all. Meat and fish and seafoo
... See more
I'm vegetarian but leaning towards vegan, I might just take the plunge at some point. The main problem is that I always hated meat and fish so becoming a vegetarian was easy, whereas I really love dairy products and eggs are kind of everywhere. I did manage a wonderful vegan chocolate cake recently when we had a vegan over for dinner, so I'm thinking it might be easier nowadays than when I first contemplated it.

Samuel, a vegan diet is not expensive at all. Meat and fish and seafood are generally much more expensive than lentils and beans. It's only expensive if you buy the ready-made stuff that tries to imitate meat, which I avoid because I can't eat anything that resembles meat even when labelled vegan and served by Buddhist monks. I do buy things like pasta sauce and ready-made flaky pastry, but only from the organic shop because they generally don't use any pesky E additives or things with long names that are probably not good for you (it if were, they'd be advertising it not hiding it in the small print).

And I've never heard of vegans not getting enough fat. I've never met a fat vegan, they are mostly on the skinny side but that's generally a good thing health-wise. The only thing you really need to watch out for is vitamin B12, but there are plenty of vegan supplements for that.

I have taken a keen interest in nutrition all my adult life and have never ever had any nutritional imbalance, despite doctors telling me it's impossible not to eat meat and other ridiculous claims. A young vegan I know was found to be severely lacking in iron, and her doctor prescribed steak twice a week, but then the young woman pointed out that her meat-eating mother had iron levels that were even lower than hers. She started eating more lentils and spinach and was able to up her iron levels in a matter of weeks.

As for whether it has any relevance to being a translator, I really don't think so.
Collapse

Tom in London
Zea_Mays
Emanuele Vacca

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jan 5

Tom in London wrote:

There's that w.r.t. thing again. I still don't know what it means.

I was asking the question because I heard on the radio today that going vegan is a great way to lose weight. I need to lose about 5 Kg and my own efforts at changing my diet are not working.

Sitting on your **** all day as a translator is not good for weight control.

WRT = with respect to

Going vegan can help lose weight in that lentils contain less fat than meat and cheese. If you buy the industrially manufactured ready-made stuff that attempts to look and taste like meat, there's probably more added fat than if you cook up a dal-rice yourself.
And if you're not eliminating food of animal origin out of principle (whether as a way to cut your carbon emissions or because you think eating animals or stealing their food is wrong), I think it might be rather hard to sustain as a diet. If you can't stick to a typical calorie-cutting diet, I don't see you can stick to being vegan unless you have an ethical stance.

[Edited at 2024-01-05 16:01 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Sitting a lot Jan 5

Translators are sitting a lot, and the fridge is always within reach. Not a good combo.

Portion control is more important than the type of food. An apple is healthy, 1 kg of apples are not. Our stomach is small.

I may be described as a flexitarian. I can go for weeks without meat. I traveled with vegan people where the only available food was vegan and I was fine with it. I would sneak out sometimes and eat a nice strawberry shortcake at a local cake shop, or cheese fro
... See more
Translators are sitting a lot, and the fridge is always within reach. Not a good combo.

Portion control is more important than the type of food. An apple is healthy, 1 kg of apples are not. Our stomach is small.

I may be described as a flexitarian. I can go for weeks without meat. I traveled with vegan people where the only available food was vegan and I was fine with it. I would sneak out sometimes and eat a nice strawberry shortcake at a local cake shop, or cheese from local farmers (I would just tell them I am going for a walk around the village). I once stayed for three weeks with vegans, and on the third week I started dreaming of cheese. Nothing else, just cheese, I didn’t miss anything else.

But yes, I do eat meat, so technically not a vegan or vegetarian. There are times when I like or need meat more (like in the winter).

Tom, it depends on your body, life style, metabolism, not one model will fit everyone. Try to eliminate suspicious food/fattening culprits and then see for yourself.

Maybe join a local dance club, it’s a good exercise. Or some other physical activity you enjoy.

Also, things like pasta, bread, fruit (lots of sugar) may indeed make you fat, depending how much you eat.

[Edited at 2024-01-05 15:32 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Christine Andersen

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not fat Jan 5

Lingua 5B wrote:

Try to eliminate suspicious food/fattening culprits and then see for yourself.

Maybe join a local dance club

I'm not fat but I do need to lose 5kg to get down to my ideal BMI.

I have a very healthy (quasi-Mediterranean most of the time) diet and a healthy lifestyle (regular daily exercise) and I am not gaining weight, but try as I might I just can't get the extra weight off.

Exercise will NOT take weight off but it will keep you from putting weight on. Portion control helps but I do like eating. So I'm thinking that going vegan for a short period might do the trick.

Incidentally I never say "with respect to". It just isn't part of my vocabulary. But I do say "in relation to" so I'll start writing i.r.t.

AAMOF I may start using that TRA immediately.

[Edited at 2024-01-05 15:59 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Angie Garbarino

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Try it out Jan 5

You may try it out for a few weeks. As Samuel said, you will need to balance proteins, fats and nutrients, which will be challenging on vegan diet. It’s much more challenging to keep a vegan portion small, as it contains less proteins (on average) than the same size non-vegan portion, but it will take more/longer to get full. Also if it’s your first time you won’t even know what will keep you fuller for longer. When I eat vegan things like red potato, some nuts like pecans, will keep me fu... See more
You may try it out for a few weeks. As Samuel said, you will need to balance proteins, fats and nutrients, which will be challenging on vegan diet. It’s much more challenging to keep a vegan portion small, as it contains less proteins (on average) than the same size non-vegan portion, but it will take more/longer to get full. Also if it’s your first time you won’t even know what will keep you fuller for longer. When I eat vegan things like red potato, some nuts like pecans, will keep me fuller for longer, anything with richer nutritious profile.

But I do know a great deal of vegan recipes and combos, even though I’m not a vegan. Indian roti is good (red potato-flour, flour-vegan yoghurt, there are many combos). You will also need to know where to source the ingredients. I would say this diet is “lighter” on your digestion which is good for someone sitting a lot (again, will not necessarily result in weight loss).
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
w.r.t. Jan 5

Kay Denney wrote:
WRT = with respect to

In regard to "w.r.t.", when I use it, in my head I hear "with regard to".

Christopher Schröder
Michele Fauble
Agneta Pallinder

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tom Jan 5

Tom in London wrote:

The only way to lose weight is to reduce calorie intake. And since there aren't many vegan foods out there, you're more likely to eat less when you're starting out on a vegan diet and you're not a professional vegan yet. (-:

Joking aside, a colleague of mine switched to Banting, and it worked great for their weight and blood sugar (but it is a very strict diet). Or, if you just want to lose weight quickly and don't mind picking it back up again, keto can definitely work (you'll lose around 3 kg immediately, due to water loss, and after that, you'll regain your weight, and more, as soon as you stop the diet).

If your weight remains stable, then I think you should be satisfied. If your body regulates your metabolism in such a way that you stay the same weight, regardless of your diet, then that's your body's way of saying "this is my ideal weight", even if it is more than what experts and books have to say about it.

If you're going to go for a vegan diet, there is the risk that you'll try to stave off the hunger pangs by eating lots of bread and pasta, and that's going to make you put on weight.

Lingua 5B

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Right now Jan 5

I am just eating a fresh apple (organically sourced) cut in two halves, and I spread tahini paste over it. I like this combo plus it’s vegan. Maybe Tom wouldn’t like tahini taste/after taste (many people don’t), but then experiment with almond/hazelnut or peanut butter.

Yes, Samuel, I didn’t recommend keto to Tom, because the weight comes back quickly after the diet. In my example above, the butters and tahini are keto category, the apple is not, that’s why it’s a balanc
... See more
I am just eating a fresh apple (organically sourced) cut in two halves, and I spread tahini paste over it. I like this combo plus it’s vegan. Maybe Tom wouldn’t like tahini taste/after taste (many people don’t), but then experiment with almond/hazelnut or peanut butter.

Yes, Samuel, I didn’t recommend keto to Tom, because the weight comes back quickly after the diet. In my example above, the butters and tahini are keto category, the apple is not, that’s why it’s a balanced variant. Keto is not a balanced diet.
Collapse

Kay Denney

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 03:18
English to Russian
+ ...
No, and I'm a fierce opponent Jan 5

but I'm not about to open a fight with vegans - they'll chew me up and spit me out with all my "nonsense" even though I have some meat and fat on my bones. Straight to the point as it relates to a short-term strict diet:

Tom, you appear to be a strong-willed person but you've mentioned that "you like to eat". So do I((( I have the same problem and my metabolism is not so great. If you are willing to speed up the proce
... See more
but I'm not about to open a fight with vegans - they'll chew me up and spit me out with all my "nonsense" even though I have some meat and fat on my bones. Straight to the point as it relates to a short-term strict diet:

Tom, you appear to be a strong-willed person but you've mentioned that "you like to eat". So do I((( I have the same problem and my metabolism is not so great. If you are willing to speed up the process and try any kind of a strict diet, vegan or not, for a short time, I'd strongly recommend first clearing your fridge and pantry of anything and everything that may ruin it. You are too close to your kitchen most of the time:-). Finish some, donate some, ask your friends to keep some, throw away everything that has expired - choose your way but get it out of your kitchen. Instead, prepare extra amounts of snacks that will be a part of that diet only. Otherwise, a food addict has a huge chance to fail.

I can lose up to 4-5 kgs in 7-8 days on Dukan diet, easy to find on the net, certainly not vegan.

Preparing yourself for any strict diet mentally is a big part of the endeavor. Hasty out-of-the-blue decisions "to start tomorrow" are a no-no, almost a guaranteed failure. Also, I'd be eating tons of veggies, among other things, taking certain vitamins to prepare my body for veggie deprivation for a week, and spoiling myself with a couple of favorites not to feel sorry for poor me over that next week, like oh, I've been missing it for so long, I deserve it, nothing will happen over this small bite.

Good luck!
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
An idea Jan 5

Maybe run chains with padlocks around your fridge. Give the key to a friend or neighbor to hide at a secure place. May help with cravings.

Tom in London
Inge Schumacher

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 03:18
English to Russian
+ ...
That was to be expected:-) Jan 5

Lingua 5B wrote:

Maybe run chains with padlocks around your fridge. Give the key to a friend or neighbor to hide at a secure place. May help with cravings.

[Edited at 2024-01-05 22:58 GMT]

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Intermittent fasting Jan 5

I enjoy looking after myself and that includes eating well. I'm not vegan but I only eat meat and fish once or twice a week. I've never let myself get overweight but I need to be disciplined.

Intermittent fasting is quite beneficial. There's a lot of information available and it might suit you. I don't eat anything between 19:00 in the evening to 09:00 the next morning, but there are different options to choose from, depending on your gender, age, lifestyle, etc.

Maaike van Vlijmen

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are you vegan?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »