Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:40
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Rewording the messages Aug 5, 2009

Thanks Steffen,

Good thinking. These messages should consider the moderator's role of rules enforcement and site guidance. they will be reworded into:

"Use this to call the attention of a moderator if site rules are being broken, or if you need help or guidance regarding this question.

Please detail below the rules violation in this case, or your specific need."

Regards,
Enrique

Lancashireman
Lancashireman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:40
German to English
Trouble Aug 6, 2009

I like Steffen’s proposal but would tentatively proffer the following amendment:
“Please remember that moderators are busy people. You should therefore use this feature only as a last resort if you are intent on getting someone else into very serious trouble. Otherwise, please sort it out amongst yourselves.”

Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

Local time: 13:40
English to German
+ ...
I wonder a little - Aug 7, 2009

- pretty much, to be precise, that no one seems to take note sufficiently of the fact that the mere wording "***punishable*** offense in KudoZ" is already in itself indicative of what the initiator of this thread and several contributors to it have already very neatly pointed out. -

That certain rules, not only for KudoZ, but for other sections of ProZ.com with argumentative participation of users, and often even more so the "handling" and application of these rules by mods and sta
... See more
- pretty much, to be precise, that no one seems to take note sufficiently of the fact that the mere wording "***punishable*** offense in KudoZ" is already in itself indicative of what the initiator of this thread and several contributors to it have already very neatly pointed out. -

That certain rules, not only for KudoZ, but for other sections of ProZ.com with argumentative participation of users, and often even more so the "handling" and application of these rules by mods and staff, are transporting a very surprising air of "roughness and toughness".

I have spent the first half of my life in a bolshevik system, and I am really sorry to say that certain "rules enforcing [another administratively repressive term] procedures" - to some of which I have also been subjected, btw - are for me somewhat eerily redolent of that experience.

Of course, it could be said that this analogy seems to be definitely too far fetched - but is it really?

There is an automatism instilled in ProZ.com that reprimands - a term that is already much more civil than "punishments" - by mods etc. constitute "Admins" - meaning "Administrative actions", which in turn are recorded in the profile of the "culprit" - and, remarkably, continue to do so - albeit marked as "inactive" - even if they had been limited in time and that time having elapsed.

And an "Admin" is then sufficient for ProZ.com to deny a "culprit" the "P" for "professional" certification - and that does then relegate a user who would otherwise been "P eligible" into the second league of ProZ.com users. And that in turn, imagining that ProZ.com would be the only platform of this kind, could be rather existential. - And there the above analogy gets already somewhat more relevance.

This whole "P" certification matter is of course another issue - which might already have been - and definitely should be discussed elsewhere.

So - what about the idea to abandon, in a peaceful and beneficial surrounding as is a justly renowned translation platform, such ghastly terms like "punishable" and "enforcement" and say something much more civil and nice as e.g. "inappropriate" and "application" instead?

[Edited at 2009-08-07 16:57 GMT]
Collapse

Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:40
French to English
+ ...
Thank you, Roland Aug 7, 2009

for your considered and thought-provoking post.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:40
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Messages edited Aug 7, 2009

Enrique wrote:

Good thinking. These messages should consider the moderator's role of rules enforcement and site guidance. They will be reworded into:

"Use this to call the attention of a moderator if site rules are being broken, or if you need help or guidance regarding this question.

Please detail below the rules violation in this case, or your specific need."

The messages used to call the attention of a moderator to a KudoZ question or forum thread have been edited in line with the message indicated above.

Kind regards,
Enrique

R.S.
R.S.
English to Polish
+ ...
STRICT prohibition Aug 8, 2009

Kudoz rule 3.7 says :
Comments or insinuations concerning an answerer's or asker's experience or profile, his/her decision to post a certain question or answer, grade or close a question in a certain way, make a certain glossary entry, etc., are STRICTLY prohibited .

Well, if they are STRICTLY prohibited, then I imagine any violations of this rule should be STRICTLY dealt with.
If I report a violation of 3.7 what action can I count on ( if any )?

[Edited a
... See more
Kudoz rule 3.7 says :
Comments or insinuations concerning an answerer's or asker's experience or profile, his/her decision to post a certain question or answer, grade or close a question in a certain way, make a certain glossary entry, etc., are STRICTLY prohibited .

Well, if they are STRICTLY prohibited, then I imagine any violations of this rule should be STRICTLY dealt with.
If I report a violation of 3.7 what action can I count on ( if any )?

[Edited at 2009-08-08 23:57 GMT]
Collapse

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
I wonder a little, too. Aug 10, 2009

Thank you, Roland, for your post.
I second your ideas and views.

Regards to all,
Agnieszka

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Punishable offenses in KudoZ

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »