Create a TM from just one translated file?
Thread poster: VojtaDziewiecki
VojtaDziewiecki
VojtaDziewiecki
Czech Republic
Local time: 00:07
Czech to Polish
+ ...
Feb 19, 2014

Hi,
I'm wondering what to do in this situation:
A translation agency sends me a short file to translate (like 100 words or so), and they want the TM I created during the translation. This happens to me quite often.
Now I obviously don't want to create a new project for this translation (it's too short - too much hassle), I prefer to have just one project per language pair, which is IMO the best approach, even more so when it is a team project, which is difficult to set up.
... See more
Hi,
I'm wondering what to do in this situation:
A translation agency sends me a short file to translate (like 100 words or so), and they want the TM I created during the translation. This happens to me quite often.
Now I obviously don't want to create a new project for this translation (it's too short - too much hassle), I prefer to have just one project per language pair, which is IMO the best approach, even more so when it is a team project, which is difficult to set up.
Is there a way to make a TM from what I translated in that one file?
I thought I'd just open project_save.tmx in a text editor and just copy relevant segments to a newly created .tmx file, but in the TM the segments are in some strange random order.
Maybe I could write a script that would extract segments for example based on time when whey were created, but I thought I'll ask first, maybe there's a simpler way.
What would you people do?
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:07
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Simple Feb 19, 2014

It's simple. Just leave only the file in /source and remove all other files. Compile the project (i. e., create translation). The resulting TMX files in the project root will contain only segments from the file (while project_save.tmx will retain all previously translated segments).

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Create a TM from just one translated file?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »