Some translated segments revert to the corresponding source segments in the target document
Thread poster: Nina Halperin
Nina Halperin
Nina Halperin  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 25, 2020

Hello,

I am new to OmegaT (and CAT tools in general). I have been completing some test translations in OmegaT version 4.3.2 for Mac to try to get the hang of it. For one document I have been translating, when I create the translated document and then pull up the target file to see what it looks like, some segments that I had already translated have reverted to the corresponding source segments. It is not a question of tags, as I ran "check issues" prior to creating the translated do
... See more
Hello,

I am new to OmegaT (and CAT tools in general). I have been completing some test translations in OmegaT version 4.3.2 for Mac to try to get the hang of it. For one document I have been translating, when I create the translated document and then pull up the target file to see what it looks like, some segments that I had already translated have reverted to the corresponding source segments. It is not a question of tags, as I ran "check issues" prior to creating the translated document and there were no tag problems. Thanks for the assistance!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:37
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Nina Jun 25, 2020

Nina Halperin wrote:
For one document I have been translating, when I create the translated document and then pull up the target file to see what it looks like, some segments that I had already translated have reverted to the corresponding source segments.

I'm not a Mac user, but: what do you mean by "pull up"?

Did you remember to close the target file in its viewer before pressing Ctrl+D in OmegaT? For example, if it's a Word file and you've previously opened it in Word, did you remember to *exit* Word before continuting in OmegaT? On some operating systems, an opened file is locked in such a way that OmegaT can't create a new version of the file if the file is currently opened in another program, or if a program that the file was opened, is still active, even if the file is no longer open in that program.

I just want to make sure: the target file is re-created in the /target/ subfolder every time you press Ctrl+D, are you aware of that?

[Edited at 2020-06-25 09:08 GMT]

Nina Halperin
Nina Halperin  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Jun 25, 2020

Hi Samuel,

Thank you so much for your reply! I quit Word and subsequently was able to access the target document with all the translated segments correctly in place, so your suggestion worked perfectly. When I tried before, while I had exited out of the previous version of the target document, I still had Word open to look over the formatting of the source document.

By the way, when I say "pull up," I just mean access or open....
See more
Hi Samuel,

Thank you so much for your reply! I quit Word and subsequently was able to access the target document with all the translated segments correctly in place, so your suggestion worked perfectly. When I tried before, while I had exited out of the previous version of the target document, I still had Word open to look over the formatting of the source document.

By the way, when I say "pull up," I just mean access or open.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Some translated segments revert to the corresponding source segments in the target document

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »