Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:50
Russian to English
+ ...
May 28, 2021

This is a cross-posting from developer Aaron Madlon-Kay:

OmegaT 5.5.0 brings 11 enhancements and 3 bug fixes. Some highlights include:

There is now an alternative layout for the glossary pane called "Dictionary". See Preferences > Glossary > Glossary layout. Also the colors of content in the glossary pane can now be customized.

Additional glossary layouts can be added by third-party plugins; plugin authors s
... See more

There is now an alternative layout for the glossary pane called "Dictionary". See Preferences > Glossary > Glossary layout. Also the colors of content in the glossary pane can now be customized.

Additional glossary layouts can be added by third-party plugins; plugin authors should refer to
https://sourceforge.net/p/omegat/feature-requests/1538/

Support for Joomla language files was added.

Glossaries with a .tsv file extension are now recognized.

Performance with uncompressed StarDict dictionaries was enhanced.

Improvements were made to the Yandex.Cloud and Apertium MT connectors.

The Belarusian, Brazilian Portuguese, Catalan, Corsican, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, and Ukrainian localisations were updated. A new Morisien localization was added.

The OmegaT Project always welcomes developers, localisers and users to contribute their experience, knowledge and insights to the software we release.

You can download the new version following the directions from
https://omegat.org/download

Donations are welcome:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=9UB6Y2BBF99LL

Happy translating!

-Aaron
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:50
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Doesn't work May 28, 2021

Doesn't work on my Mac. Seems to be a Java problem. The application seems to install but then I can't open the preferences, or start a new project.

[Edited at 2021-05-28 16:00 GMT]

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:50
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
works for me May 28, 2021

On Windows 10, 64 bit with Java.
I can't advise you, but if you want help you can write here: [email protected]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:50
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tom May 29, 2021

Tom in London wrote:
Doesn't work on my Mac. Seems to be a Java problem. The application seems to install but then I can't open the preferences, or start a new project.

Please post a bug report here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/omegat/bugs/
(unfortunately you have to create a username)

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
OmegaT latest 5.5.0 released May 29, 2021

Susan Welsh wrote:

-Aaron

Well, OmegaTs site says v5.5.0 but on downloading (Mac version) it's actually v4.3.2.
And it works on my Mac (Big Sur).

Marcela Robaina Boyd
Marcela Robaina Boyd  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Project Files window (OmegaT4.3.2 / Windows10) Aug 3, 2021

After two months struggling with Wordfast Classic (which I have been using probably since 2000), finally gave up and gave myself a fast self-training course in Omega. I downloaded the last version (4.3.2) yesterday.

Started gingerly on my first file. Everything seemed to be working ok, discovering new things while I go. Cleaned-up translated file finally OK (which has not been the case with wfc since last update). I may be a problem with the source file (because if I delete all for
... See more
After two months struggling with Wordfast Classic (which I have been using probably since 2000), finally gave up and gave myself a fast self-training course in Omega. I downloaded the last version (4.3.2) yesterday.

Started gingerly on my first file. Everything seemed to be working ok, discovering new things while I go. Cleaned-up translated file finally OK (which has not been the case with wfc since last update). I may be a problem with the source file (because if I delete all formatting, wfc works all right), but I have given up trying to find out what it is.

Unfortunately, I had to remove all in-line tags in omegaT. There were tags before practically every single word in each segment!

When I am working in the editor pane, I notice there is another omegaT window (Project files). I click on it, but nothing happens. I have 4 translatable files in the source folder and there's a (4) in the windows name: Project Files (4). And they are translatable because I have been translating them in the editor pane.
I am unable to see a list of the project files in that window, and some other information that supposedly should be there.

Thanks from a newbie.
Collapse

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
DOC or DOCX Aug 3, 2021

Marcela Robaina Boyd wrote:

Started gingerly on my first file. Everything seemed to be working ok, discovering new things while I go. Cleaned-up translated file finally OK (which has not been the case with wfc since last update). I may be a problem with the source file (because if I delete all formatting, wfc works all right), but I have given up trying to find out what it is.

Unfortunately, I had to remove all in-line tags in omegaT. There were tags before practically every single word in each segment!

When I am working in the editor pane, I notice there is another omegaT window (Project files). I click on it, but nothing happens. I have 4 translatable files in the source folder and there's a (4) in the windows name: Project Files (4). And they are translatable because I have been translating them in the editor pane.
I am unable to see a list of the project files in that window, and some other information that supposedly should be there.

Thanks from a newbie.

Hi Marcela,

I am Czech Wordfast Trainer, but I am using mostly "the latest OmegaT" (now 5.5.0).
In OmegaT is no pregnancy (bilingual translated with delimiters marks in DOC) and no cleaned-up (borned) translated DOC. OmegaT not change a source DOCX (not works with DOC!!!), OmegaT create Translated DOCX files from "project TMX".
Are your files in DOCX format?

Milan

Marcela Robaina Boyd
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translating docx files Aug 3, 2021

I'm placing docx files in the source folder, and when I finish, click "Create translated document", and the clean translated docx appears in my target folder (using Windows File Explorer). But the Project File OmegaT window is empty.

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
OmegaT project and DOCX Aug 4, 2021

Marcela Robaina Boyd wrote:

I'm placing docx files in the source folder, and when I finish, click "Create translated document", and the clean translated docx appears in my target folder (using Windows File Explorer). But the Project File OmegaT window is empty.

Hi Marcela,

first you should to create a project with your language pair. DOCX files should be from Office SW (Microsoft Word, Open Office, LibreOffice), not only DOC renamed to DOCX.
After reopen the project are DOCXs in Project Files Window. You can see number of files, names of files and segment statistics. If you have TMXs in subfolder tm/auto/ of the project, you can see some segments translated.
The command "Create translated document" will create "translated document" even if no translation was made. These documents contain source language. If you have translatable PDF in source folder, you get not translated (or partly translated) TXT file. New "translated document" replace previous "translated document", if you repeat a command.

Milan

Marcela Robaina Boyd
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Project Files OmegaT Beta 5.5.0 Aug 4, 2021

Just for the record, I upgraded to OmegaT Beta 5.5.0 and can now see correctly the Project Files window.

m

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT latest 5.5.0 released

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »