Excluding strings using pattern matching
Thread poster: alanbrod
alanbrod
alanbrod
Japan
Local time: 06:17
Japanese to English
Jun 10, 2022

I'm translating a number of web pages which have large numbers of images in them. Opening the html source in OmegaT, the html tags are all hidden as expected but I would also like to hide all the image filenames which of course don't need to be translated. For the occasional string there would be no problem, but the file I'm working on at the moment has a large number. Probably 50% of the segments are paths and filenames.

Is there some way to stop these being displayed in the editor
... See more
I'm translating a number of web pages which have large numbers of images in them. Opening the html source in OmegaT, the html tags are all hidden as expected but I would also like to hide all the image filenames which of course don't need to be translated. For the occasional string there would be no problem, but the file I'm working on at the moment has a large number. Probably 50% of the segments are paths and filenames.

Is there some way to stop these being displayed in the editor pane? They are the values of href and scr attributes and all have the form: subfolder/anotherSubfolder/filename.jpg although the depth of the path (ie the number of slashes) is not constant.

I don't want to hide the values of the title and alt attributes in the same tags. At the moment they are being displayed as separate segments so there's no problem there.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:17
English to Russian
Regex Jun 10, 2022

I am not an OmegaT user but I suppose you can filter segments by this regular expression:
^(?>(?!.+\/[^\/]+\..{3,}).)*$
To this effect, press Ctrl+F, paste the regex, click Search, click Filter.
OmegaT will show you all segments that do not contain any file path.

alanbrod

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:17
English to Russian
Regex 2 Jun 10, 2022

Also you can use the following regex:
.+\/[^\/]+\..{3,}
to 'remove' all the file path segments from translation. It won't hide or literally remove them but highlight them in red. I am not sure though, but my guess is that it somehow excludes those segments from the QA or verification process.2022-06-11_010041

[Edited at 2022-06-11 19:04 GMT]

alanbrod
alanbrod
Japan
Local time: 06:17
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Jun 10, 2022

Thank you for your quick reply.

I hadn't realised it was possible to sync the search results with the content of the editor pane.
This works well and is best for me as it totally declutters the editor.

Using the regex as suggested in the tag processing preferences doesn't seem to work as expected. It matches segments with tag end markers (eg ). Putting the regex in the Regular expressions for custom tags field works for the file paths only but greys them o
... See more
Thank you for your quick reply.

I hadn't realised it was possible to sync the search results with the content of the editor pane.
This works well and is best for me as it totally declutters the editor.

Using the regex as suggested in the tag processing preferences doesn't seem to work as expected. It matches segments with tag end markers (eg ). Putting the regex in the Regular expressions for custom tags field works for the file paths only but greys them out and leaves them marked purple so there is still clutter and the purple makes it more difficult to see if there are untranslated segments which need translation.
Collapse

Stepan Konev

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Excluding strings using pattern matching

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »