Страниц в теме:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you think translators should have a passion for literature?
Автор темы: ProZ.com Staff
Alessandra Martelli (X)
Alessandra Martelli (X)  Identity Verified
Италия
Local time: 10:58
английский => итальянский
+ ...
Even technical manuals are "literature"... Apr 28, 2009

We often think that literature means something like Hemingway, Joyce and company, nothing more and nothing less. The matter is that everything is literature, it just depends on which branch of literature we are looking at. Eintein's essays are physics literature, Euclid's "Elements" is mathematics literature... I could name lots of other examples but I'm sure you got the point.

A translator should have a passion for words and - hopefully - for what he/she decides to specialize in. R
... See more
We often think that literature means something like Hemingway, Joyce and company, nothing more and nothing less. The matter is that everything is literature, it just depends on which branch of literature we are looking at. Eintein's essays are physics literature, Euclid's "Elements" is mathematics literature... I could name lots of other examples but I'm sure you got the point.

A translator should have a passion for words and - hopefully - for what he/she decides to specialize in. Reading "literature" (any kind of it) leads to widen our horizons and to improve our writing skills, that's a fact.
Collapse

Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
Египет
Local time: 11:58
Член ProZ.com c 2007
английский => арабский
+ ...
Molière for vehicle engine Apr 29, 2009

I am taking a french course to follow up the evolution in French. The only course which is available where I live is a package of litterature, civilisation, grammar then translation and history of french litterature in the second and third year.
I remember the day I suggested this poll, the instructor was shouting because most of us didn't submit an assignment, and she said like every session "No litterature no culture" "No culture no language".
What came up in my mind is "Really Mol
... See more
I am taking a french course to follow up the evolution in French. The only course which is available where I live is a package of litterature, civilisation, grammar then translation and history of french litterature in the second and third year.
I remember the day I suggested this poll, the instructor was shouting because most of us didn't submit an assignment, and she said like every session "No litterature no culture" "No culture no language".
What came up in my mind is "Really Molière will be useful in translating the inner parts of a vehicle?"
Actually I don't find extracting metaphors interesting (neither in my native language nor in others), I don't like reading novels or plays. I like getting directly to conclusion taking the shortest way.
Yet, translating a commercial of a cream or a drug won't pro and accurate unless for example the "sarcastic" expressions are well digested, assimilated and properly converted into the target language equivalent.

I would place literature at the bottom of the things-to-do list to learn foreign language culture.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 01:58
Член ProZ.com c 2003
испанский => английский
+ ...
John said it perfectly Apr 29, 2009

John Cutler wrote:

I think translators should have a passion for, or at least a well-rounded interest in, anything related to culture: literature, art, history, philosophy, religion, etc.

This may not be essential to their particular area of specialization, but I think having broad knowledge of various cultural disciplines helps to keep one's mind open and stimulates creative thinking, which to me is essential for being a good translator.

[Edited at 2009-04-28 15:36 GMT]

Let me add that literature calls attention to the way language is used, and understanding how language is used is very important in gaining fluency in translation, regardless of the subject matter.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Ангола
Local time: 10:58
английский => французский
+ ...
And (intellectual) curiosity Apr 29, 2009

Jenn Mercer wrote:

Translators should have ... passion.

The broader the subject(s) the better!

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:58
Член ProZ.com c 2006
голландский => английский
+ ...
for language and ideas ... Apr 29, 2009

I don't know about should, I am not comfortable with prescribing any SHOULD to others.

But I think good translators do have a passion for many things, and share in common a passion for ideas and their expression and language generally.
To me these are the cornerstones ...

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:58
Член ProZ.com c 2005
немецкий => английский
+ ...
languages, words, culture yes... May 5, 2010

Literature not so much.

I translate patents. They are *not* great literature. Linguistically interesting, yes, but undying prose? decidely not. I have my preferred terms and phrases, and others have theirs. I really don't care if the QM changes those phrases, *as long as he/she uses acceptable equivalents*.

OTOH: I am a published author. I sweat blood and tears over the phrasing in my articles. An editor needs a *very, very good* reason to alter even a comma. ... See more
Literature not so much.

I translate patents. They are *not* great literature. Linguistically interesting, yes, but undying prose? decidely not. I have my preferred terms and phrases, and others have theirs. I really don't care if the QM changes those phrases, *as long as he/she uses acceptable equivalents*.

OTOH: I am a published author. I sweat blood and tears over the phrasing in my articles. An editor needs a *very, very good* reason to alter even a comma.

I am also currently translating a book of popular history. Not Belletristik or belles lettres, but a historical text to be read by people interested inthe subject who are not necessarily historians themselves. For this, I have to maintain faithfulness to the original content, but also keep the English lively. This is quite different from patents, and also quite difficult. It should be interesting to see how it reads when I am done...
Collapse

Yes, i think so May 6, 2010

Yes, i think translators must have this passion for literature. It is a must for translators to be well-rounded so as much as possible, they must try to get acquainted with literature.

keelin feeney
keelin feeney  Identity Verified
Ирландия
Local time: 09:58
Член ProZ.com c 2007
испанский => английский
+ ...
Surely one leads to the other May 7, 2010

I don't think that "should" is exactly the right way to phrase it.

I think that it is more likely that one thing leads to another. I have always had a serious passion for spelling, writing, reading, speaking...anything to do with producing language properly...the sound of it, the look of it...and I am sure that most translators feel that way about language.

Needless to say, I will read anything from novels to leaflets, subtitles to newspapers...written language is lite
... See more
I don't think that "should" is exactly the right way to phrase it.

I think that it is more likely that one thing leads to another. I have always had a serious passion for spelling, writing, reading, speaking...anything to do with producing language properly...the sound of it, the look of it...and I am sure that most translators feel that way about language.

Needless to say, I will read anything from novels to leaflets, subtitles to newspapers...written language is literature and I think it is only natural that a translator has a passion for it.
Collapse

Kevin Harper
Kevin Harper  Identity Verified
Великобритания
Local time: 09:58
немецкий => английский
+ ...
No - but it should be part of your knowledge May 18, 2010

As a technical translator with an engineering/language degree, I can categorically say that literature will not help you get through a technical manual.

Technical, administrative, commercial and legal language often come second place to journalism and literature in language teaching and yet it is in those areas that most translations are done (from my experience as a PM, as well as translator).

However, unless you're translating exclusively very dry language and can sto
... See more
As a technical translator with an engineering/language degree, I can categorically say that literature will not help you get through a technical manual.

Technical, administrative, commercial and legal language often come second place to journalism and literature in language teaching and yet it is in those areas that most translations are done (from my experience as a PM, as well as translator).

However, unless you're translating exclusively very dry language and can stomach reading extensively through reams of technical, reading fiction (not necessarily 'literary fiction'), as well as other foreign media, will help you keep up with everyday language outside your work. There are a number of text types that cross over between technical and literary styles (e.g. popular science, car magazines), and as the writers of even the driest texts will have been influenced by some kind of popular culture, neglecting fiction will put you at a disadvantage.

Nevertheless, the fact that I am very happy to have left essays on literature behind does not make me any less of a translator.
Collapse

Страниц в теме:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think translators should have a passion for literature?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »