Téma indítója: ProZ.com Staff
Alexandra Pirotte (X)
Alexandra Pirotte (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 08:27
angol - francia
+ ...
Weighing the pro's and con's Feb 10, 2011

I don’t have a blog, but I’ve been toying with the idea… Waste of time or useful marketing tool?

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazília
Local time: 03:27
angol - portugál
+ ...
Az Ő emlékére:
Sort of... but not strictly a blog Feb 10, 2011

I know a couple of translators that have superb blogs on our profession:
I know a couple of translators that have superb blogs on our profession:

I have made my blog-like content an integral part of my web site as my still less-organized Articles page.

All three have the same intent: to impart information on a specific area of human endeavor, translation. We hope they will be useful to visitors, as well as make us stand out as experts in our trade.

Quite frankly, my whole web site was built out of my... laziness! I got tired of explaining the same things over and over again by e-mail to clients, colleagues, and others who wanted me to do something related for them. Now I just give them the URL, and hope they read it.

However I see blogs all over made by people who are not as lazy. They seem willing to spend a lot of time and energy, for instance, explaining in detail things like the dyspepsia they had from eating some rotten grub (recipes included) while watching on TV a poorly translated and subtitled/dubbed B-movie that nobody ever heard of. What's the point? Quite frankly, I don't get it.

Nevertheless, it seems that a blog per se attracts more visitors than mere articles on a web site, due to some SEO hocus-pocus. So I considered moving my articles to a blog, since WebSiteX5 - the software I use to build and keep my web site - allows it. I didn't like the early results, so I left it as it was. Maybe I'll try again in the future.

LATER NOTE:
After I posted this message, I noticed that the original asker is the author of one of the translation blogs I praised here. Maybe he is wondering whether all the time he puts into making and updating his blog is worth the effort. Keep it up, Fabio!

[Edited at 2011-02-10 10:31 GMT]
Collapse

Graeme Walle (X)
Graeme Walle (X)  Identity Verified
Finnország
Local time: 09:27
finn - angol
+ ...
Ditto Feb 10, 2011

Interlangue wrote:

"No", not that I would like one, not that they are a waste of time, just plain "no", no further comment.

Ditto. Not all are a waste of time (though many are).

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 23:27
Tag (2003 óta)
spanyol - angol
+ ...
No, but my dog does Feb 10, 2011

Yes, I have to confess, my dog has a little blog where she writes about her life and some canine issues every couple of months.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Hollandia
angol
+ ...
Likewise. Feb 10, 2011

kpi wrote:

Neil Cross wrote:

Interlangue wrote:

"No", not that I would like one, not that they are a waste of time, just plain "no", no further comment.

Exactly. Why do the answers to these polls so often contain implicit value judgements? I'm neither pro nor anti-blog. Just ain't got one

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Olaszország
angol - olasz
same here Feb 10, 2011

Interlangue wrote:

A blog needs time and my time is for working and family

neilmac
neilmac
Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
Other Feb 10, 2011

No.
Although I do I tend to use proz as a quasi-blog to sound off about thngs that interest/please/annoy me...
I wouldn't class all blogs as a complete waste of time, since I do enjoy some, but it would be in my case ( I shouldn't even be spending a precious few minutes on this post either...)

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 02:27
Tag (2004 óta)
spanyol - angol
+ ...
No Feb 10, 2011

Mary Worby wrote:

Interlangue wrote:

I was just popping in to say the same thing!

Likewise.

cuinadelletres
cuinadelletres
Spanyolország
német - spanyol
+ ...
Exactly my opinion! Feb 10, 2011

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

No, but with another comment!
I like some and I find some are a waste of time, it depends on whether the author has someting interesting to tell or not. So as long as I don't have someting interesting to tell, I see no point in starting on just to follow the trend.

Jari Herrgård
Jari Herrgård
Finnország
Yes (sort of) Feb 10, 2011

Don't have one of my own, but I do write in a company blog occasionally. And now and then in our family blog (which is only open to friends and family).

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
Franciaország
francia - angol
We have two, not a waste of time Feb 10, 2011

We have two blogs, one for clients in our niches:

www.sfmtraduction.com/blog

and one for translators

www.sfmtraduction.com/marmite

The blogs drive traffic to our website and boost our search engine results, so not a waste of time at all.

Before
... See more
We have two blogs, one for clients in our niches:

www.sfmtraduction.com/blog

and one for translators

www.sfmtraduction.com/marmite

The blogs drive traffic to our website and boost our search engine results, so not a waste of time at all.

Before you start a blog, though, you need to figure out who you are writing for (translators? clients? which clients? what topics interest them?), create some editorial guidelines, and build up a stock of around 20 back-up posts before you start publishing. You should also publish at least once a week (thus the need for back-up posts, to publish when you are too busy to write). You also need to find ways to drive traffic to your blog (emailer? social networks? affiliate programs? inbound links?).

It is way too easy to create a blog. Putting a bit of thought into it before you start publishing will prevent your blog from being one of those that posts "great, how exciting, welcome to my new blog" followed by "been really busy, sorry, promise to post more soon" and ending with "I'm shutting down this great blog, no time to post!".
Collapse

Olga Arakelyan
Olga Arakelyan  Identity Verified
Oroszországi Föderáció
angol - orosz
+ ...
I do Feb 10, 2011

http://yourprofessionaltranslator.blogspot.com/ - though I'm not a real experienced and well-known blogger I don't think it's a waste of time. Hope as I get more experienced I'll also get more readers

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Németország
Tag (2009 óta)
angol - német
+ ...
Just plain No. Feb 10, 2011

Although blogs may be the only means of communication for some, they are too time consuming for me. Working and also being a writer takes up most of my time, so that every minute not used for work and writing is too precious to be spend on a blog.

That's my 2 cents which, of course, holds no value judgement.

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
olasz - angol
+ ...
link please Feb 10, 2011

... a little doggie reading would be light relief !

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

Yes, I have to confess, my dog has a little blog where she writes about her life and some canine issues every couple of months.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazília
Local time: 03:27
portugál - angol
+ ...
Yes Feb 10, 2011

Yes, I have a blog about translation and other issues, like cultural information about my two countries (Brazil where I live and the UK where I was born) and the occasional personal post - one to commemorate my 50 years in Brazil, for example.

You are all welcome to visit my blog at: www.paul-translator.blogspot.com. All posts in English and Portuguese. I have just posted "The Greate
... See more
Yes, I have a blog about translation and other issues, like cultural information about my two countries (Brazil where I live and the UK where I was born) and the occasional personal post - one to commemorate my 50 years in Brazil, for example.

You are all welcome to visit my blog at: www.paul-translator.blogspot.com. All posts in English and Portuguese. I have just posted "The Greatest Show in the Universe" about Brazilian Carnival. Enjoy!
Collapse

A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

A fórum moderátora(i)
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a blog?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »