Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever suffered from "translator's block"?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:18
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Word processing has changed that Apr 7, 2011

In the old days, typing on paper, one had no choice but to put one word after the next in correct order. So if a problem arose, one was stuck in one's tracks. There was no way to get by relief by skipping around the document. If my dictionaries couldn't bail me out, I would go down to the soda fountain in the building where we worked and get a cup of coffee. By the time I got back upstairs, the answer had usually come to me.

While this process may sound laborious - and hilarious - t
... See more
In the old days, typing on paper, one had no choice but to put one word after the next in correct order. So if a problem arose, one was stuck in one's tracks. There was no way to get by relief by skipping around the document. If my dictionaries couldn't bail me out, I would go down to the soda fountain in the building where we worked and get a cup of coffee. By the time I got back upstairs, the answer had usually come to me.

While this process may sound laborious - and hilarious - to young people, the fact is that we churned the work out at approximately the same speed as translators do today - with carbon paper and a second sheet of paper underneath it.
Collapse

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:18
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Sure Apr 7, 2011

An example: when I read and re-read my translation but cannot understand what I have written

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Apr 7, 2011

Fatigue is the most familiar factor. Long sentences are generally not a problem unless someone left out a noun or verb (originals can be the bitch). But "translating between the lines" is also exhausting if it goes on forever.

Ulas Alpman (X)
Ulas Alpman (X)
Türkiye
Local time: 07:18
Japanese to Turkish
+ ...
Right now...albeit in a different kinda way May 5, 2012

I have some load of police documents in Japanese to translate into Turkish. I've passed the half and I also have one month to the deadline. But as working at a travel agency full time, and translating as a side job on the evenings and weekends, I don't have all the time. The thing is apart from some Kanji (Chinese characters in Japanese) usage for document marking (which I have some ideas from Kudoz) I'm not having problems with the words, I just don't have the motivation. Instead of typing away... See more
I have some load of police documents in Japanese to translate into Turkish. I've passed the half and I also have one month to the deadline. But as working at a travel agency full time, and translating as a side job on the evenings and weekends, I don't have all the time. The thing is apart from some Kanji (Chinese characters in Japanese) usage for document marking (which I have some ideas from Kudoz) I'm not having problems with the words, I just don't have the motivation. Instead of typing away at my OpenOffice Writer and Calc, I'm just idling around; reading things, looking at pics, chatting with friends, surfing on facebook, watching youtube videos...and writing in between. This is kinda like a block too. I'm very afraid of not making it on time...cause I have a whole a lot of proofreading to do too afterwards.

I'm really annoyed at my own work pace and procrastination, and I wanna know how can I get over that. Anyone with similar experience or opinion?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever suffered from "translator's block"?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »