Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Would you like to work in an office (outside home)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:14
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Maybe, yes, no, others etc Apr 28, 2011

Suzan Hamer wrote:

neilmac wrote:
... "ye daft pal?"

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Home Office Apr 28, 2011

Absolutely, it's the only way to go! And if I need company, the beer joint is only a few blocks away.

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Life on the road Apr 28, 2011

Been living and working on the road for a few years now. Parked up at the beach at the mo, great view – huge empty beach leading to Tarifa where the Mediterranean meets the Atlantic, few people kitesurfing or sunbathing, Jebel Musa (one of the columns of Hercules) in the distance.....

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
Local time: 19:14
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Is this question about the location of work or having/not having a boss? Apr 28, 2011

If about location, I definitely feel more work-like in the office. I used to work at home, and it all got so mixed-up that I could not divide work and private life: I woke up late, was interrupted by relatives, had a fridge and all those sorts of temptations by my side, so the time was not used effectively. After I hired the office with my colleagues, everything got ordered, and I can distinguish when I work, and when I don't. And now it is hard to make we work when I'm home.

[Edited at
... See more
If about location, I definitely feel more work-like in the office. I used to work at home, and it all got so mixed-up that I could not divide work and private life: I woke up late, was interrupted by relatives, had a fridge and all those sorts of temptations by my side, so the time was not used effectively. After I hired the office with my colleagues, everything got ordered, and I can distinguish when I work, and when I don't. And now it is hard to make we work when I'm home.

[Edited at 2011-04-28 14:20 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
No Thanks! Apr 28, 2011

At the moment, I am sitting on the terrace of my parentds in law´s summer house in the Pusta enjoying the sunshine when translating. Can go there any time from Germany and if I am stuck working in an "outside" company office, I cant do that any more. No, the freedom of freelancing is too precious to loose it to somebody elses "office".

Dewinta Maharani
Dewinta Maharani  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 23:14
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Love this quote Apr 29, 2011

Michael Harris wrote:

The freedom of freelancing is too precious to loose it to somebody elses "office".

Patricia Charnet
Patricia Charnet
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:14
Member (2009)
English to French
No thank you although short term is ok Apr 29, 2011

just done 2 weeks at a client's office so I freshly had the office experience and the home gets my vote - although I don't mind working in an office for a short term assignment like helping a client with systems in situ I nearly did 1 month at a client's office abroad too but the pay was too low as the said country had high costs of living.

short term assignments - I don't mind
long term - home still gets my vo
... See more
just done 2 weeks at a client's office so I freshly had the office experience and the home gets my vote - although I don't mind working in an office for a short term assignment like helping a client with systems in situ I nearly did 1 month at a client's office abroad too but the pay was too low as the said country had high costs of living.

short term assignments - I don't mind
long term - home still gets my vote after so many years

I'm also more productive at home than in an office (at home, I can have a power nap, 10 minutes in the front garden for a change of scenery, a quick run and back to shake the old body and get the mind back on track) I'm very much more static in an office, and can't move as much. I feel more sleepy in an office. Never at home, I can concentrate more on my work

[Edited at 2011-04-29 07:20 GMT]
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:14
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
no Apr 29, 2011

like everyone else here, the advantages of working on my own at home are innumerable! not having to get up and commute is one of the main- especially in the winter. I don't have to worry about snow, slush and freezing rain and getting on the packed, smelly bus (metro isn't so bad) where I have to listen to people's moronic cell phone conversations. Also, no work clothes or makeup.

On the other hand, working alone can be kind of lonely at times and it would be fun to at least have ot
... See more
like everyone else here, the advantages of working on my own at home are innumerable! not having to get up and commute is one of the main- especially in the winter. I don't have to worry about snow, slush and freezing rain and getting on the packed, smelly bus (metro isn't so bad) where I have to listen to people's moronic cell phone conversations. Also, no work clothes or makeup.

On the other hand, working alone can be kind of lonely at times and it would be fun to at least have other people around to chat with. In the winter one can get a bit isolated and i get a bit barmy staring at the four walls when I've been working a lot. My current dwelling is pretty small...i think that at least will change when I move in a couple of months.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you like to work in an office (outside home)?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »