Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you use voice recognition software for your projects?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:34
Italian to English
In memoriam
DNS is not appropriate for my workflow May 31, 2011

I like to type out a first draft of my translations to make sure that I have the basic notional content of the text nailed.

The next stage is printing the draft and reading it out loud to ensure that the rhythm and prosody are right. When I have dictated first drafts, I have found that some of the nuances of the original were lost.

Obviously, there are other approaches to translation but I have never found DNS or similar programs to be of any practical use.

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
No May 31, 2011

Sadly, there's no support for my target language, otherwise I would use it daily

Gudrun Maydorn (X)
Gudrun Maydorn (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Yes Jun 1, 2011

I have used DNS for 2 years now and must admit that it does take a lot of time to train the programme. Meticulous proofreading is also necessary to pick up any misrecognised words.

Initially I thought that I couldn't really spare the time to train DNS, but voice recognition has taken a lot of strain off my arms and hands, so it is worth it - for me anyway. Sometimes I also use it in combination with Wordfast.

Gudrun

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use voice recognition software for your projects?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »