Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you feel you are more productive now than you were 2-3 years ago?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:58
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
About the same Sep 17, 2011

However, after a tight push for several days, I more tired afterward and need time to rest up.

Two to three years is nothing in the career of a translator. With a longer time span, I might have given a different answer.

Terejimenez
Terejimenez  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Definetely, yes ! Sep 17, 2011

Yes, with

1) More advanced CAT Tools and more experience working with CAT Tools
2) Skype to talk to my customers instead of dialing or answering the phone
3) Invoice templates
4) More online dictionaries
5) A larger term base
4) File sharing services

I am more productive now than 10 years ago ! Maybe 3 years is a short time span to compare.

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm
Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:58
German to Greek
+ ...
Fazit? Sep 17, 2011

So, some people (the majority, if we are to judge by the results of the poll) get more productive with time, some people do not.

Again, I work in highly "technical" and, if you want, "dry" fields. The artistic and creative aspects of my work are (most of the time) very very restricted.
If you translate an SPC for an anti-cancer drug for the first time, you need to do A LOT of research. If you translate your 20th anti-cancer drug SPC, you need less research. This is a fact.
... See more
So, some people (the majority, if we are to judge by the results of the poll) get more productive with time, some people do not.

Again, I work in highly "technical" and, if you want, "dry" fields. The artistic and creative aspects of my work are (most of the time) very very restricted.
If you translate an SPC for an anti-cancer drug for the first time, you need to do A LOT of research. If you translate your 20th anti-cancer drug SPC, you need less research. This is a fact.
But the text gets the attention it deserves. My work is not very creative but it is very responsible!

I understand that the difference is not as pronounced if you translate literature or marketing texts, but there is no reason for anyone to get so emotional about it.

I am happy that I can now produce better AND faster translations than three years ago, when I started. I fail to see anything bad about it.

It makes me, my clients and my daughter happier

[Έγινε επεξεργασία στις 2011-09-17 09:54 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you feel you are more productive now than you were 2-3 years ago?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »