Stran v tématu:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you have accomplished all your goals as a translator/interpreter?
Autor vlákna: ProZ.com Staff
tradu-grace
tradu-grace  Identity Verified
Itálie
Local time: 16:47
angličtina -> italština
+ ...
Totally agree with Mario Chavez Dec 8, 2011

I share his same point of view.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Německo
Člen (2006)
němčina -> angličtina
Other Dec 8, 2011

Interlangue wrote:

I will be able to answer that question only after I retire... Goals change with time and are an ongoing process, aren't they?

Have not planned any yet, but can only agree with Interlangue otherwise

Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
Local time: 15:47
Člen (2009)
španělština -> angličtina
Goal number one accomplished Dec 8, 2011

Which was to reach a position in which I can make a decent(ish) living from freelance translating. Six years after achieving this goal I still feel extremely fortunate to be able to spend my time engaged in such a fascinating activity and avoid the rat-race of the "normal" work world.

My goal now is to keep learning, keep improving, secure increasingly interesting and well-paid work and never lose sight of how lucky I am to be sat in my warm home with my slippers on being paid to do
... See more
Which was to reach a position in which I can make a decent(ish) living from freelance translating. Six years after achieving this goal I still feel extremely fortunate to be able to spend my time engaged in such a fascinating activity and avoid the rat-race of the "normal" work world.

My goal now is to keep learning, keep improving, secure increasingly interesting and well-paid work and never lose sight of how lucky I am to be sat in my warm home with my slippers on being paid to do something I find enjoyable and enriching.
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 08:47
angličtina -> španělština
+ ...
In memoriam
I guess so Dec 8, 2011

My goal was to become a world-class translator, work independently and make a decent living from it, and it has been accomplished. I am now well past normal retirement age, and the only goal I have left is to continue working at a comfortable pace for as long as I can.

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 10:47
angličtina -> francouzština
Goals, yes. Dec 8, 2011

I work full-time as an in-house translator/proofreader.
Wishes? No. I wish to be one day a full-time freelancer, or at least to have more freelancing assignments.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugalsko
Local time: 15:47
Člen (2007)
angličtina -> portugalština
+ ...
Yes and no! Dec 8, 2011

I have accomplished some goals and I will keep on trying for the rest of my life...

Sonia Maria Parise
Sonia Maria Parise  Identity Verified
Itálie
angličtina -> portugalština
+ ...
Many goals and wishes... Dec 8, 2011

as many of you have already stated, goals and wishes are what keeps you going and once you reach one, there is another one ahead... and so on.
I still have many goals and wishes.

Best wishes and goals to all,
Sonia

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Itálie
italština -> angličtina
In memoriam
Goals and the bucket list Dec 8, 2011

Goals are the financial targets I set every year to make sure that it's worth continuing in business (boring).

But I do have a mental bucket list of texts/authors that I would quite like to translate - for money - before I kick the proverbial

Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Austrálie
Local time: 00:47
němčina -> angličtina
+ ...
Content to have all the software working properly Dec 9, 2011

Reasonably often, I get a feeling of elation when I am using Dragon Naturally Speaking, Trados Workbench and MS Word together and everything is running perfectly. I think, "Hey, I'm enjoying this!". Never mind the future goals, that's enough for me!

abufaraz
abufaraz
Pákistán
Local time: 19:47
angličtina -> urdština
+ ...
Goals always keep on changing Dec 9, 2011

The goals in life keep on changing with the passage of time. After the completion of one goal, one sets new goals and it continues.

Regards,

Silvia Schulz
Silvia Schulz
Nizozemsko
angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
Tons of goals Dec 9, 2011

Hi there,

As I am a rather new freelance translator (started out 1,5 years ago) I still have tons of goals:

- add another working language - Japanese (ok, this will take me years to achieve, I am afraid)
- try out Dragon voice recognition software
- learn more about DTP and other software
- extend my expertise/knowledge in the technical field
- buy more specialized dictionaries
- further improve my lingustic abilities and style in my target
... See more
Hi there,

As I am a rather new freelance translator (started out 1,5 years ago) I still have tons of goals:

- add another working language - Japanese (ok, this will take me years to achieve, I am afraid)
- try out Dragon voice recognition software
- learn more about DTP and other software
- extend my expertise/knowledge in the technical field
- buy more specialized dictionaries
- further improve my lingustic abilities and style in my target language
- find more clients who pay well
- and last but not least: work less, earn more

and the list goes on...

I am going to start working on this list from the start of the new year.

Good luck to everyone for accomplishing your own goals! (^-^)
Silvia
Collapse

Szymon Metkowski
Szymon Metkowski  Identity Verified
Polsko
němčina -> polština
+ ...
Voted yes... Dec 9, 2011

Because I understood the question as goals for 2011. It has been a good year. I have finally made my master degree, organised a comfortable work environment (separate room for home office) and managed to establish some new well-paid business relations with some more prospects in sight.

On the other hand I am just now setting new goals for 2012, including becoming sworn translator and starting PhD. There are always new goals...

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 07:47
Člen (2003)
španělština -> angličtina
+ ...
No Dec 9, 2011

My main goal is to produce perfect translations, and that will never happen.

I definitely met one goal, and that was to translate a book for which I was credited by name on the cover, and to be listed on the Library of Congress catalog card.

Early in my career, my goal was to have a job as a full-time translator, and I met that. In fact I exceeded it, because I became chief of translations.

Later, I wanted to be a free lance and live on that income, and I a
... See more
My main goal is to produce perfect translations, and that will never happen.

I definitely met one goal, and that was to translate a book for which I was credited by name on the cover, and to be listed on the Library of Congress catalog card.

Early in my career, my goal was to have a job as a full-time translator, and I met that. In fact I exceeded it, because I became chief of translations.

Later, I wanted to be a free lance and live on that income, and I also met that goal.

I spent half my career as an in-house translator and the other half as a free lance. In both capacities, I have worked at international conferences, which was another goal that I met.

I would still like to translate a famous author or an important work, and I would also like to translate the 14 books that my husband wrote before he died.

I need two more lifetimes!
Collapse

Stran v tématu:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you have accomplished all your goals as a translator/interpreter?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »