Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Poll: Do you watch TV and movies in your source language(s) regularly?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 23:23
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Hummm Jul 1, 2023

Angie Garbarino wrote:
Lingua 5B wrote:

Dubbing may also be the national policy to preserve the local language. Fnior the countries that can afford it, given that the process is quite costly.

Exactly, in Italy it is a country policy. This is a fact. Not to preserve, but for everyone to understand

[Edited at 2023-07-01 18:15 GMT]

They were not thinking about the deaf people then (they could benefit from subtitles). For the blind, yes, it’s helpful for them.

To me it sounds more like “We don’t want any foreign languages in our local media”, signed by the Ministry of Culture. A combo of linguistic, cultural and political decision. It may make sense, in the long run, if they want to preserve the purity of language.

[Edited at 2023-07-01 18:49 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Not really Jul 1, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

To me it sounds more like “We don’t want any foreign languages in our local media”, signed by the Ministry of Culture. A combo of linguistic, cultural and political decision. It may make sense, in the long run, if they want to preserve the purity of language.

[Edited at 2023-07-01 18:49 GMT]

I expected to read something like that, so I am trying to explain:

When Italy started dubbing movies, there was Mussolini, and yes in the beginning this was done for "we don't want any foreign language", BUT then after Mussolini and with democracy, this continued for a good reason LEARNING ITALIAN, because very few people in the country were able to speak the official language (there are thousands of dialects in Italy).
Nowadays it is only a matter of longstanding habit, of bureaucracy, difficulty to change. Not to mention the high number of voice actors who need to keep their job.

No Ministry of Culture has never signed what you think. This is a longstanding habit. Nothing more.

Subtitles are used for deaf people, and nowadays with smart tv one can chose to listen the movie in the original language.
I hope I have explained.

[Edited at 2023-07-01 20:00 GMT]

Christine Andersen

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:23
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Varia Jul 2, 2023

1. I don't have time to watch TV and movies, much regularly. How do you guys manage to do it?

2. Many moons ago, when we lived in Mexico, we saw a James Bond movie dubbed in German with Spanish subtitles. Very funny!

3. Of course, subtitles are much better than dubbing. You can ignore them or not.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 22:23
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Maybe not quite dubbing, but... Jul 2, 2023

Liena Vijupe wrote:

Imagine if singers were dubbed! Actors should be treated the same way.

I'm not sure, but in the film Bohemian Rhapsody is not clear is whether we're hearing Rami Malek or Freddie's vocals.
Some newspapers, like The New York Times reported that Rami's voice is mixed in with Marc Matel's voice, a great Canadian singer who is known as one of the best Freddie Mercury soundalikes around.
Amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE7buxmJPqk

[Edited at 2023-07-02 10:43 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Singers do it all the time Jul 2, 2023

It’s called sining on a playback.

https://www.quora.com/When-a-music-video-is-shot-does-a-vocalist-actually-sing-or-just-mimic-singing-while-a-playback-is-used

If it’s been mixed in a studio with all sorts of additions, then it’s not really their voice, is it?

[Edited
... See more

https://www.quora.com/When-a-music-video-is-shot-does-a-vocalist-actually-sing-or-just-mimic-singing-while-a-playback-is-used

If it’s been mixed in a studio with all sorts of additions, then it’s not really their voice, is it?

[Edited at 2023-07-02 11:39 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Playback Jul 2, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

[Edited at 2023-07-02 11:39 GMT]

I know the meaning and I know the word:

https://www.infopedia.pt/dicionarios/lingua-portuguesa/playback

No cinema e na televisão, técnica inversa da dobragem, na qual o registo do som precede o da imagem.*

"playback", in Dicionário Priberam da Língua Portuguesa [em linha], 2008-2023, https://dicionario.priberam.org/playback.

*In cinema and television, the inverse technique of dubbing, in which the sound recording precedes that of the image.

P.S.: Actually the voice of the singer mentioned above is his genuine voice.

[Edited at 2023-07-02 12:48 GMT]

Angie Garbarino

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Dubbing Jul 3, 2023

As a student I spent 3 months in Brandenburg, Germany. I went to the movies sometimes and I remember seeing The Green Mile with Tom Hanks, dubbed. It was an awful experience. Cinema is an art and the actors' performances, including their voices, are part of that art. Dubbing ruins everything.

On-topic: I watch TV and movies in my source languages, but always with subtitling. I've always had a heavy focus on my mother tongue and as a translator I think that's the way it should be, be
... See more
As a student I spent 3 months in Brandenburg, Germany. I went to the movies sometimes and I remember seeing The Green Mile with Tom Hanks, dubbed. It was an awful experience. Cinema is an art and the actors' performances, including their voices, are part of that art. Dubbing ruins everything.

On-topic: I watch TV and movies in my source languages, but always with subtitling. I've always had a heavy focus on my mother tongue and as a translator I think that's the way it should be, because translation quality is determined significantly by the way you use your target language. You 'only' need to understand your source languages, while you need to master your target language to perfection. You don't achieve that by focussing mainly on foreign languages (which is also interesting of course), but by listening to and reading, reading and then reading some more in your target language.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Tom in London
Vera Schoen

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not available Jul 3, 2023

Movies in Sweden are always in the original language with subtitles - never dubbed.
Therefore I never hear Swedish in the cinema.

Yes, there are films made in Swedish, but Swedish film is terrible - no exceptions. I never have occasion to watch it.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Bergman aside... Jul 3, 2023

Paul Lambert wrote:

Movies in Sweden are always in the original language with subtitles - never dubbed.

Yes, there are films made in Swedish, but Swedish film is terrible - no exceptions. I never have occasion to watch it.

I can't believe you didn't enjoy Fäbodjäntan, Paul? Especially living in Dalarna as I believe you do.

Angie Garbarino
Baran Keki
Michael Newton

William Hepner
William Hepner  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:23
Member (2022)
Spanish to English
Yes Jul 3, 2023

I try to consume something every day, though I prefer listening to podcasts and radio shows for my media consumption since I find them more varied and edifying. But it's really just a matter of preference.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Il like WALLANDER Jul 3, 2023

Paul Lambert wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallander_(Swedish_TV_series)

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 18:23
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Not even movies for kids? Jul 4, 2023

Paul Lambert wrote:

What do kids do if they can't read?

Movies that are specifically for kids are always dubbed in my country, otherwise nobody would go to the cinema.

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 00:23
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
I watch, write, read, joke, research, chat, and even think in my source language. Jul 4, 2023

I watch, write, read, joke, research, chat, and even think in my source language.

Odile Breuvart
Odile Breuvart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Other languages Jul 5, 2023

I also love watching a film in a language I don't know, with no other help, no subtitles...
I feel it improves awareness of a situation. It's always good to remember what the knowledge of a language brings; which is revealed when you remove that knowledge.
Fascinating

Hege Jakobsen Lepri

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
I sometimes watch TV in one of my sources languages with subtitles in another source language Jul 6, 2023

I find myself listening and reading and checking the accuracy of the subtitles. I try to concentrate on just listening and not reading, but I can't help myself. There are some incredible mistranslations.
In a recent documentary about the WWII era, the German text spoke of Der Führer and the French subtitle read "le guide". Twice.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you watch TV and movies in your source language(s) regularly?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »