Poll: Would you certify and stamp your own translation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 23

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you certify and stamp your own translation?".

This poll was originally submitted by Sophie Meis. View the poll results »

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
India
Local time: 11:50
English to Tamil
+ ...
Why not? Mar 23

I would certainly certify and stamp my translation. Because I am a perfectionist as a translator. I am very confident about my translations.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 08:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 23

I am not a sworn translator, but sometimes my clients ask me for a certificate to show that their texts submitted for publication have been translated by a native English speaker - some journals appear to request this. I'm quite happy to certify and sign/stamp my own work.

On the few occasions that a sworn translation is required, I can usually recommend a qualified colleague to provide the service.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:20
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other (it depends) Mar 23

Some UK agencies require that I join to some of my translations a certificate of accuracy (I’m happy to do it, though I find it rather silly and bureaucratic as I’m not going to say that my translation is not accurate, am I?). In Portugal, unlike other countries there are no certified or sworn translators and the certification is made by accredited certification bodies (namely lawyers and attorneys, chambers of commerce, notaries…), so I entered into an agreement with an attorney to that e... See more
Some UK agencies require that I join to some of my translations a certificate of accuracy (I’m happy to do it, though I find it rather silly and bureaucratic as I’m not going to say that my translation is not accurate, am I?). In Portugal, unlike other countries there are no certified or sworn translators and the certification is made by accredited certification bodies (namely lawyers and attorneys, chambers of commerce, notaries…), so I entered into an agreement with an attorney to that effect. Anyway, that’s what a sworn translator does (certifies and stamps his/her own translations). A translator who produces a sworn, certified or notarized translation takes on a dual role: as well as acting as a translator, he or she also is also involved in the official certification of the document.

[Edited at 2024-03-23 11:13 GMT]
Collapse

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Not just anyone can certify/stamp. Mar 24

Certain qualifications are required.

Meaningless otherwise.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Stamps Mar 24

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Certain qualifications are required.

Meaningless otherwise.

It’s always meaningless.

Whether/what qualifications are required depends on where you are.

All my work comes with a stamp.

Of quality 🤮😂

Baran Keki
expressisverbis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The answer is always "yes" Mar 24

Well, depending on the country, but typically only the translator him/herself can certify his/her own translation. You can't certify someone else's translation... can you? That would be weird.

Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
MollyRose

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 09:20
English to Russian
+ ...
Others would do it for me before Mar 25

I'd translate and they'd have the translation stamped/notarized. I have no degree in translation, that's why; other than that, I'd have no problem doing it myself if it could make the manager or customer happy. One thing I don't understand is what managers mean when they specifically tell me that some translation task or other needs to be executed perfectly. My translations are perfect every time. Or they are never perfect, depends on how you define perfection

Keith Jackson
Keith Jackson  Identity Verified
France
Member (2017)
French to English
+ ...
Any "certification" is generally a self-certification Mar 26

I don't certify other people's translation. I do translate for agencies where someone else apparently (rubber-) stamps my translation (I don't know who, probably in my case a French-court-approved expert, who could be another translator, a notary, or a subject matter expert).

I've never had a problem with requesting authorities (government bodies or departments, courts, lawyers, or police, or even private companies for certified translations of driving licences for car rentals) for
... See more
I don't certify other people's translation. I do translate for agencies where someone else apparently (rubber-) stamps my translation (I don't know who, probably in my case a French-court-approved expert, who could be another translator, a notary, or a subject matter expert).

I've never had a problem with requesting authorities (government bodies or departments, courts, lawyers, or police, or even private companies for certified translations of driving licences for car rentals) for any of my (self-) certified NAATI or CIoL translations.

[Edited at 2024-03-26 17:02 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you certify and stamp your own translation?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »