Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:04
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 14

From my collection of crazy MT output (EN to DE), from an engine trained on technical data.
When it comes to terms the machine does not know, it simply creates new compounds. Some are really creative and/or funny words, back translation is not always possible, though. AI translations? Be prepared for funny results.

Stummhäutel - mute -?cuticles-

Umriss einer Brustwarzentasse - contour of a nipple cup

zeitverdehnt - time strained

Schildk
... See more
From my collection of crazy MT output (EN to DE), from an engine trained on technical data.
When it comes to terms the machine does not know, it simply creates new compounds. Some are really creative and/or funny words, back translation is not always possible, though. AI translations? Be prepared for funny results.

Stummhäutel - mute -?cuticles-

Umriss einer Brustwarzentasse - contour of a nipple cup

zeitverdehnt - time strained

Schildknöchel - shield ankle

Gänsäuchen - ? little goose meadows

Geschwulzstreifen - (sounds like lump strip)

entdenklich - conceivable-away-ish

Luftreparaturen - air repairs

Tiersynografie - animal synography

Altersalternierungscommunity - aging alternation community

Toilettenverlassungen - toilet abandonments

Schachtelnmittag - boxes' noon

Holzzerstörer für Bodenbelag - wood destroyer for flooring

Vogelsteuerungsdienst - bird controling service

Garnierungswaschservice - garnish washing service

Geschenkumschließungen - gift circumvallations

angemeint - to-meant?

Schlägermilbe - beater mite

Schneeflockenbaum - snowflake tree

Rosinenblüten - raisin blossoms

Kreuzwagen-Fahrrad - cross wagon bycicle

Trophenschnäuz - ?

Tambururin - tambourine urine

[Bearbeitet am 2024-02-14 10:01 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
A pity Feb 14

Zea_Mays wrote:

Umriss einer Brustwarzentasse

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 12.32.03

Yes, it really is a pity that MT systems don't indicate terms that are not extracted from training material.

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Sounds legit... Feb 14

...German in 20 years. ^^

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
new language frontiers? Feb 15

Arne Krueger wrote:

...German in 20 years. ^^

This is indeed an interesting aspect.
The engine that generated that output is the only one I have seen (with my little range of experience here, though) that creates new words=language instead of spitting out what it has been fed.
Among AI bots, Google's Bard (Gemini) is the most "autonomous" I have tried so far, sometimes coming up with evaluations, encouragements, opinions and the like you did not ask for.
So we could expect more machines with similar (rather scary) behavior in the future, and maybe they will actually shape language and invent new words that will be used in real life.

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Absolutely... Feb 15

As a native German you already know it: German is the language of word inventions.

I just had a poem book from my grandmother in my hands the other day (because I was burning old furniture in the backyard) and the way her classmates wrote in it is just from another planet. You cannot find that kind of language anymore in Germany these days... All gone.

So, if there is one constant in language, it is change. For the worse or the better. We may see what our friends from t
... See more
As a native German you already know it: German is the language of word inventions.

I just had a poem book from my grandmother in my hands the other day (because I was burning old furniture in the backyard) and the way her classmates wrote in it is just from another planet. You cannot find that kind of language anymore in Germany these days... All gone.

So, if there is one constant in language, it is change. For the worse or the better. We may see what our friends from the "digital" side (not to be confused with the dark side - although you may suspect it! ^^) will come up with.
Collapse

Zea_Mays

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

MT hallucinations into German

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »