'Mark Davis' scam
Inițiatorul discuției: Debbie Nevo
Debbie Nevo
Debbie Nevo  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:00
din ebraică în engleză
May 1, 2013

I received an email from someone in the USA with a Gmail address asking for a quote for an English-Hebrew translation of two texts. I provided the quote which was accepted. In one of the subsequent emails he also gave a street address. Something in the content of the texts didn't seem quite right: checking in Google, no one of the name given appears to live at the address he gave.
The texts have been lifted from books which can be found on the Internet One text is on Risk Management and th
... See more
I received an email from someone in the USA with a Gmail address asking for a quote for an English-Hebrew translation of two texts. I provided the quote which was accepted. In one of the subsequent emails he also gave a street address. Something in the content of the texts didn't seem quite right: checking in Google, no one of the name given appears to live at the address he gave.
The texts have been lifted from books which can be found on the Internet One text is on Risk Management and the other one Mergers and Acquisitions – copy-pasted from "Qualitative-quantitative Research Methodology" by Isadore Newman. When I googled passages from the text with difficult words, I found questions asked on Proz by French and German translators about passages from the same text two years ago.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Polonia
Local time: 20:00
Membru (2002)
din engleză în rusă
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Please May 1, 2013

submit a support request and provide all available details, otherwise it is impossible to check and (if needed) to block the scammer.

Debbie Nevo
din ebraică în engleză
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Scam May 2, 2013

Debbie Nevo wrote:

The texts have been lifted from books which can be found on the Internet One text is on Risk Management and the other one Mergers and Acquisitions – copy-pasted from "Qualitative-quantitative Research Methodology" by Isadore Newman. When I googled passages from the text with difficult words, I found questions asked on Proz by French and German translators about passages from the same text two years ago.

The person calls himself Mark Davis his email is [email protected] and he gives a US address: 11575 Adams Dr.
Warren, MI 48093

He sent 2 texts for translation, at least one is an exerpt from a book which can be found on the Internet (see above).
Below is the proz question asked by someone 2 years ago about an exerpt from the same text:
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_german/mathematics_statistics/4590572-test_retest_correlation_coefficients.html
I can't find it but there was another one from English to French asking about the same text, also about two years ago.

[Edited at 2013-05-02 05:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-05-02 05:11 GMT]

lioralevym (X)
lioralevym (X)
din engleză în ebraică
+ ...
HELP SCAM Jun 5, 2013

I am just translating 2 texts from english to hebrew for this "Mark Davis" with the same adresse (i got to this post by googling his name).
I received a payment for the job by a money order received by mail, which was double the sum i was supposed to get. He explained there was a mistake with the sum and asked me to cash it in the bank and send the rest of the money = 1,300$ by "western union" to someone in Egypt, which is supposed to be his "inetrpretor" for his lecturing trip in Israel a
... See more
I am just translating 2 texts from english to hebrew for this "Mark Davis" with the same adresse (i got to this post by googling his name).
I received a payment for the job by a money order received by mail, which was double the sum i was supposed to get. He explained there was a mistake with the sum and asked me to cash it in the bank and send the rest of the money = 1,300$ by "western union" to someone in Egypt, which is supposed to be his "inetrpretor" for his lecturing trip in Israel and Egypt. since the money was allready in my account i didn't suspect anything and did what he asked with the extra money.
two weeks later i receive a call from the bank, the money order was forged! the bank took all the money back and i just lost 1,300$!!

1/ I will try to get the money back from the bank, since it was allready in my account, and no one worned me that i need to wait or something

2/ BE CAREFULL

3/ DID IT HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE?

part of the text for translation can be found here:
http://negosentro.com/index.php/learn/management/68-what-is-strategic-management

[Edited at 2013-06-05 07:14 GMT]
Collapse

Debbie Nevo
din ebraică în engleză
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
The text seemed suspicious Jun 5, 2013

I didn't get as far as the money stage - I got suspicious because the text for translation didn't seem to match the cover story.

lioralevym (X)
lioralevym (X)
din engleză în ebraică
+ ...
everyone should be worned Jun 5, 2013

He probably contacted other translator he found here. He has to be blocked!

lioralevym (X)
lioralevym (X)
din engleză în ebraică
+ ...
this is what i found on proz Jun 5, 2013

December 9, 2012: Another victim of the 'presentation abroad' scam
Another colleague reported being the victim of the 'presentation abroad' scam, this time from a "client" using the name 'Mark Davis of Eagle Finance in Atlanta, GA' and the address markdv112(AT)gmail.com
The message was:
I'm Mark Davis from Atlanta,Georgia and i'll be heading to the United Kingdom for a business presentation on Monday.I'll be making a
presentation to some groups of Japanese speaking people
... See more
December 9, 2012: Another victim of the 'presentation abroad' scam
Another colleague reported being the victim of the 'presentation abroad' scam, this time from a "client" using the name 'Mark Davis of Eagle Finance in Atlanta, GA' and the address markdv112(AT)gmail.com
The message was:
I'm Mark Davis from Atlanta,Georgia and i'll be heading to the United Kingdom for a business presentation on Monday.I'll be making a
presentation to some groups of Japanese speaking people in Tokyo on the 10th of January.I will need you to help me translate some
documents from English to Japanese,so each of my audience can have a copy in their local language and they can follow through.The
deadline for the delivery of translations is January 7,2012.Please,let me have an estimate for the documents(see attached).I look
forward to hearing back from you soon."
The translator received a check for 4 times the agreed amount and was asked to cash it and return the balance to the scammer via Western Union. The translator didn't fall for it, but lost the work done for the scammer.
Remember to always get verifiable contact information from the 'clients' and verify it. Also be double careful when you get messages from alleged corporations sent from a free email address.
Finally, be familiar with current scams. This particular scam has been reported many times though these alerts. Help other colleagues get protected, let them know about this service!
Collapse

jiaomender610
jiaomender610
Israel
I am the new victim of "Mark Davis" Jun 21, 2013

Hi all, my name is Jiaojiao Chen, I'm a Chinese freelancer living in Israel. on 1-May 2013 I got an email from " Mark Davis", whose email is [email protected], asking me to translate 2 texts from English to Hebrew for his speech on June in Israel, I asked my partner to translate it, and he asked his assistant to send something I saw by first time " money order" from Egypt, and the payment is 3 times more than what I should get, he told me... See more
Hi all, my name is Jiaojiao Chen, I'm a Chinese freelancer living in Israel. on 1-May 2013 I got an email from " Mark Davis", whose email is [email protected], asking me to translate 2 texts from English to Hebrew for his speech on June in Israel, I asked my partner to translate it, and he asked his assistant to send something I saw by first time " money order" from Egypt, and the payment is 3 times more than what I should get, he told me it's a mistake, and he asked me to deposit in the bank and give him the rest money back, I did what he said, firstly deposited all of them, but them the bank told me the " money order" bank rejected the deposit, I was charged some bank commission, and then he said he's sending the new money ordre again. I waited and waited, from my gut feeling, I felt something wrong, fistly when I issued the invoice and receipt for him, all the time I asked his American social number and he didn't tell me, just gave a compay name which I didn't find any information from Google - Eagle Finance Ltd, from Autlanda, secondly I told him since he will come to Israel for the conference, why not give me cash face to face, he explained to me again and again in the western country the bank system doesn't work like this, and I even felt I'm so out and don't know the modern payment way. I still got his email the day before yesterday to tell me that " don't worry, the payment has been already on the way", so I asked him again" Is it from US or from Egypt?" he didn't reply me, I searched his email from Facebook and linkedin, no correct result!!!! And just now I found
lioralevym's article, I unserstood everything, what I lost now is 3000 NIS for translation ( because I asked my parter to do it, and I payed for him) and 50$ bank commission, is there anyone has suggestion for sueing him from legal way?

Thanks!
Jiaojiao Chen
[email protected]
Collapse

jiaomender610
jiaomender610
Israel
more information about this scam Jun 21, 2013

This is the information he gave me:

Mark Davis

Project Manager

Parent Company:

Eagle Finance Ltd.

45 Walton St NW Ste B,

Atlanta, GA 30303

U.S.A

Tel: 678-701-9193

This is the information he asked me to refund:
Linguist's Information for western union wire:

Name: OPEYEMI SIKIRULAHI
... See more
This is the information he gave me:

Mark Davis

Project Manager

Parent Company:

Eagle Finance Ltd.

45 Walton St NW Ste B,

Atlanta, GA 30303

U.S.A

Tel: 678-701-9193

This is the information he asked me to refund:
Linguist's Information for western union wire:

Name: OPEYEMI SIKIRULAHI
Address: 17 Heliopolis Road, Suite #110
City: Cairo

his mail:

Hi Jiaojiao,

I just got to know a few minutes ago that my assistant(Scott Brown) made out money order for the wrong amount($2955 US) to you instead of $813 USD.I instructed him to send $813 USD to you and have the rest of the money sent to my arabic interpreter as we are in Egypt for a project which commences late next week.I Just talked to Scott and he told me he didn't get my instructions clearly and made a mistake sending the whole of my funds to you.However,i am really sorry about this mistake .

Kindly have the three money orders deposited into your bank account at your local bank as they have been written to your name.When money clear your bank in few days, please deduct your payment for the assignment($813 US) plus bank charges for the checks and assist in sending the rest of the funds via western union transfer(money in minutes) to my linguist here in Egypt at any of the western union locations /or Israel Post office in your city using the information below as my Linguist has also requested that i pay her before she can be available to assist me.The fee for the western union transfer should also be deducted from my balance as that's not a problem at all.I am very sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you.

Please,provide me with the scan copy of the western union transfer receipt via email or the mtcn,Sender's name and the exact amount sent as shown on the receipt as soon as you are able to do the transaction so i can forward the details to her asap.I look forward to hearing back from you soon.Thanks for your great understanding and have a wonderful holiday.

Hi Mark,

Since you will come to Israel, why not do this way: I give you the two orders and cash for change when you will be in Tel-aviv. Is it possible?

Regards,
Jiaojiao
Hello Jiaojiao,

The US money order doesn't work like a personal/business check.The
payee is the only one who can cash the check and if the purchaser is
going to ask for refund it's going to take him about 30-45 days to get
the cash back and that's a whole lot of time.That was why i have
suggested that you have the 3 checks deposited and have the balance
wire to my interpreter via western union at any post office when the
money have cleared your bank account in 4-7 days with the details i
have provided you in my last email.The balance belongs to her for the
payment of interpreting services she will be rendering to us next
week.Happy holidays to you there in Israel.

Best Regards,
Mark
Hi Mark,

The bank called me, now I understand why I do NOT see my money in my account:
What happened is that we deposited the 3 money order to the bank, BUT then there is a validation process. It turns out that the Egyptian bank refused the money order !!! This is why the money was removed from my account! Now this is the current situation:
1. I don't have your money since the Egyptian bank refused the deposit.
2. I was charged 17 dollar for each order money that was refused, so totally is 51 dollar.

Attached is the paper from my bank that includes the rejection reason by the Egyptian bank, my bank said that you need check the details with the Egyptian bank because it's your bank, So please check and let me know what is your plan.

Regards,
Jiaojiao
Hi Jiaojiao,

The issuing bank is in the US.I will check with Scott and get back to you soon.

Regards,
Mark
Dear Jiaojiao,

I'm sorry for getting back to you a bit late.Scott called me to explain to me that the mistake was from the Moneygram company as they had some data loss error which affected the confirmation process of the checks.We will try to arrange another payment inform of a banker's draft as soon as possible.Have a wonderful evening.

Best Regards,
Mark
Hi Mark,

How are you? It has been 8 days from the last email you updated me, I haven't get anything yet, what's the process? Please let me know the details.

Jiaojiao
I'm sorry about the delay.The payment is already on the way.Have a wonderful day.

Regards,
Mark
Thank you Mark. Did they send the new draft from US or Egypt?

Regards,
Jiaojiao

NO REPLY!

All the time I think he has a stupid assistant called Mr. Sccott Brown, now I understand that-
I WAS SO NAIVE!!!!!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorii acestui forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'Mark Davis' scam

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »