Autor wątku: DLyons
DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Irlandia
Local time: 16:05
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
Sep 23, 2013

I just noticed that a Chinese Translation & Localization company with which I have no contact is using my photo in their list of translators. They are registered on ProZ.

You can check your own 'photo as follows:

1) Open a new browser tab and go to google.com and click on IMAGES.

2) Open your ProZ Home page and drag your picture to the IMAGES tab. It will say “Drop Image Here”, so do that to see other websites using your ProZ picture.

Tom in London
Tom in London
Wielka Brytania
Członek ProZ.com
od 2008

włoski > angielski
I don't know about that but.... Sep 23, 2013

DLyons wrote:

I just noticed that a Chinese Translation & Localization company with which I have no contact is using my photo in their list of translators. They are registered on ProZ.

2) Open your ProZ Home page and drag your picture to the IMAGES tab. It will say “Drop Image Here”, so do that to see other websites using your ProZ picture.

I don't know about that but I do know of at least one Prozian who uses a photograph of a very attractive woman (and she is not the very attractive woman).

I'm getting a bit tired of my own pic. I may use George Clooney instead.

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Włochy
Local time: 17:05
Członek ProZ.com
od 2008

angielski > włoski
+ ...
Clone the Clooney Sep 23, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

I may use George Clooney instead.

And start using a George Cloney nickname?

In fact, wasn't there one (male) ProZian some time ago who did use GC's pic?

Back to the topic, apparently I'm still safe. Phew!
A skinhead translator might not be everyone's cup of tea, I suppose.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Niemcy
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
I'm not at risk with my avatar, luckily Sep 23, 2013

The widespread dishonesty is really disheartening, though. I can't tell you how glad I am now that I never, ever revealed any personal information on this site, even if it might have been pooh-poohed back in the Dark Ages when I joined. Fortunately, it never prevented serious agencies from contacting me anyway, and I'm lucky to have plenty of decently-paid, interesting work without having to worry about being scammed. The attempts there have been in the past were very obvious, and happened befo... See more
The widespread dishonesty is really disheartening, though. I can't tell you how glad I am now that I never, ever revealed any personal information on this site, even if it might have been pooh-poohed back in the Dark Ages when I joined. Fortunately, it never prevented serious agencies from contacting me anyway, and I'm lucky to have plenty of decently-paid, interesting work without having to worry about being scammed. The attempts there have been in the past were very obvious, and happened before I disabled the email option that non-registered ProZ users may contact me.

It's all so sleazy that so many crooks are trying to make money at the expense of our profession and unsuspecting professionals, or anyone else for that matter. Unfortunately, the criminals are getting better at targeting translators, so I have started phoning or e-mailing companies who send me cooperation requests to make sure it is really that company contacting me and that the person who signed the e-mail actually works there. A necessary nuisance these days.

Edited to ask question: What are you going to do about it, DLyons? Any ideas for other ProZ members who might be interested in the subject?

[Edited at 2013-09-23 12:57 GMT]
Collapse

DLyons
Irlandia
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Further action Sep 23, 2013

Woodstock wrote:

Edited to ask question: What are you going to do about it, DLyons? Any ideas for other ProZ members who might be interested in the subject?

[Edited at 2013-09-23 12:57 GMT]

I've sent them a mail asking them to desist immediately. I don't expect a reply and the Blue Board isn't for this sort of thing. I'll put a support call to ProZ and see how they handle it. Will put something into my ProZ profile and will be very explicit about who the company is on LinkedIn.

DLyons
Irlandia
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Cups of tea Sep 23, 2013

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Back to the topic, apparently I'm still safe. Phew!
A skinhead translator might not be everyone's cup of tea, I suppose.

I don't why a semi-bald one would be more anyone's cup of tea

Donal.

neilmac
neilmac
Hiszpania
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
They're welcome Sep 23, 2013

Perhaps it's just as well I never got around to setting up my website properly, or it might have happened to me too, though I don't think I'd really mind if someone nicked my profile photo - I might even take it as a backhanded complimented (since they think it's worth ripping off). I prefer to use avatars or caricatures anyway (mainly to avoid the hassle of finding a photo where I don't look toothless, idiotic or decrepit) so it's not really an issue.

I've been using a stock humor
... See more
Perhaps it's just as well I never got around to setting up my website properly, or it might have happened to me too, though I don't think I'd really mind if someone nicked my profile photo - I might even take it as a backhanded complimented (since they think it's worth ripping off). I prefer to use avatars or caricatures anyway (mainly to avoid the hassle of finding a photo where I don't look toothless, idiotic or decrepit) so it's not really an issue.

I've been using a stock humorous image from the internet for a while now, where "2 burritos por favor" is translated as "2 small donkeys please". Well, I found it amusing anyway. However, prompted by this post, I tried replacing it with a bespoke image a friend created for me (it's an alien) for one of my first attempts at building a website, and was surprised to find that apparently the profile photo and "company logo" now appear as the same thing (my logo was previously the alien's space helmet) which I don't think was the case before. Then again, it may just be my technical ineptitude...

PS: Thanks Donal for the drag and drop tip on how to search for images on Google, it's a new one for me.

[Edited at 2013-09-23 15:36 GMT]
Collapse

DLyons
Irlandia
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Quite a few ProZ people on their Website Sep 23, 2013

I've wasted some time looking into their site and and have mailed a few people on ProZ whose photos I recognized. My guess is that the other people are also ripped off from ProZ or elsewhere - it'd be easy to check using the same method.

Donal.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
portugalski > angielski
+ ...
Thank you, Donal Sep 23, 2013

Thank you for the warning, I will make sure to check this more often in the future.

I'm safe for now

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
niemiecki > angielski
A cross I have to bear... Sep 23, 2013

People are always filching my photos for the covers of romantic novels, articles about the perfect body, advertising pages for dating sites etc... you get used to it after a while.

Steve K

Usch Pilz
Usch Pilz
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
The real me ... Sep 23, 2013

Shortly after joining proz.com I got some entirely, extremely, very unwanted attention from a "client".
After that I removend my photo. (It was a typical passport kind photograph, not something that might attract the kind of unwanted attention I got).
I swapped it for the picture of my favourite animal.
So far it has not been stolen and put on any lists.
Ho-hum ...

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Niemcy
Członek ProZ.com
od 2009

angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
Easy to track Sep 23, 2013

DLyons wrote:

Thank you for this step-by-step guide, DLyons, which I tested right away. No abuse of my photo.

But I do find that people seem to like my name, using it clear across the Internet... without prior consent.

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Członek ProZ.com
od 2013

niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
this made my day Sep 24, 2013

DLyons wrote:

OK that actually made my day. Google seems to think I am the look-alike of a soprano. She uses her own picture, however, the similarities are striking....

DLyons
Irlandia
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Have you ever considered a singing career? Sep 24, 2013

dianaft wrote:

OK that actually made my day. Google seems to think I am the look-alike of a soprano. She uses her own picture, however, the similarities are striking....

Betimes it's strange who Google thinks we look like. I change race in several photos and generally look like somebody not to be met in a dark alley. A prominent ProZian throws up several underwear model 'photos.

Perhaps it sees into our very souls?

Paul Harrison MITI
Paul Harrison MITI
Wielka Brytania
francuski > angielski
... Sep 24, 2013

DLyons wrote:

dianaft wrote:

Betimes it's strange who Google thinks we look like. I change race in several photos and generally look like somebody not to be met in a dark alley. A prominent ProZian throws up several underwear model 'photos.

Perhaps it sees into our very souls?

Yeah I changed sex, too! I pity the poor women who look like a big bald man.

Stron w wątku:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorzy tego forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is your 'photo being ripped-off?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »