Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Aug 15, 2011

Hi all,

Is there anybody here with 'inside knowledge' about a new version of Transit?

Other CAT developers have launched new versions in the last months and I was wondering what STAR is working at, currently.

I'd also like to start a thread about everybody's personal wish list. What feature(s) would you like to see in a new release of Transit?

Cheers,

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
No wish lists? Aug 18, 2011

Everybody on holiday or everyone completely satisfied with Transit as is?

Hans

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 00:53
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
transit and wishlists Aug 18, 2011

Not sure how useful such things like wishlists actually are. Anyway:

1. I would like to have a "hibernate-type" switch-off (so that everything is exactly the same after switching it on as it was before switching off). Alternatively, NXT should be insensitive to hibernating the PC. Which it is not. If I let NXT run and hibernate the PC, NXT usally crashes after waking the PC up.

2. Full "text-only" mode - in XV, deactivating the tag protection gave you the
... See more
Not sure how useful such things like wishlists actually are. Anyway:

1. I would like to have a "hibernate-type" switch-off (so that everything is exactly the same after switching it on as it was before switching off). Alternatively, NXT should be insensitive to hibernating the PC. Which it is not. If I let NXT run and hibernate the PC, NXT usally crashes after waking the PC up.

2. Full "text-only" mode - in XV, deactivating the tag protection gave you the power to do a lot of interesting things. I miss this option a lot in NXT.

3. Related to 1:when opening a project, I have to manually select all language pairs if I wish to open them all in a single window. Quite annoying. An option to automatically open all language pairs in a single window, without having to select them, would be nice.

4. Getting a progress report is a very long and click-consuming procedure. My most preferred option would be to have the "totals" numbers (or at least the"translated" percentage value) of the Progress Report visible all the time on the bottom status bar; say, updated automatically with each autosave.

There are some others, but I have solved most of them (and some of the above, actually) using AutoHotKeys anyway.

Antonin
Collapse

Ana Kardum
Ana Kardum  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Croatian
+ ...
I have one... Aug 22, 2011

Definitely Croatian spellcheck...they have not made it so far...

Progress report should also be better as Antonin said.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
frre dictionaries by openoffice Aug 22, 2011

You can use a spellcheck dictionary from http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries

Antonin

Ana Kardum
Ana Kardum  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Croatian
+ ...
Thanks... Aug 22, 2011

Are you sure it is going to work with Transit NXT? I wonder how good it is for my language - did they not use the same spellcheck in Trados Studio as well?

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
spellcheck dictionaries Aug 22, 2011

Actually, I got the paid Czech and English spellecker dictionaries in a package with NXT when I bought it, but after testing the free ones I decided for them because their use was easier (more options offered for correction and the correct one tended to be among them more often than with the paid ones). And after all, each spellchek dictionary needs the user's input to get better.

I have no idea what spellecheck dicti
... See more
Actually, I got the paid Czech and English spellecker dictionaries in a package with NXT when I bought it, but after testing the free ones I decided for them because their use was easier (more options offered for correction and the correct one tended to be among them more often than with the paid ones). And after all, each spellchek dictionary needs the user's input to get better.

I have no idea what spellecheck dictionaries the SDLT Studio has been using, sorry. I do own Trados, but I only use it as an interface for creating files to be processed in Transit and checking the outcome before delivery (if the respective customer insist on Trados, that is).

Antonin
Collapse

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Macros Aug 22, 2011

I'd like fully functional macros. There are ways around this problem, but the developers should have been able to have sorted this by now.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Macros? Aug 22, 2011

My macros in NXT do seem to work now - I believe this was corrected some time ago. Or do you have any problems with them?

Antonin

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Some answers to your wishes ... Aug 26, 2011

Hi Jill,
Hi Antonín,

Can it be that the problem of non-functional macro's is related to the 64 bit variant of Windows?

I cannot check this myself, since I'm running Win XP 32 bit.

Regarding the hybernate solution: You can run Transit in a Virtual Machine and freeze the VM after working hours. This works fine.

Regarding the 'Open all language pairs at once/after opening a project': you can use an external macro tool (AutoHotkey, Macro Too
... See more
Hi Jill,
Hi Antonín,

Can it be that the problem of non-functional macro's is related to the 64 bit variant of Windows?

Regarding the hybernate solution: You can run Transit in a Virtual Machine and freeze the VM after working hours. This works fine.

Regarding the 'Open all language pairs at once/after opening a project': you can use an external macro tool (AutoHotkey, Macro Toolworks, AutoIt, etc.) to automate this task. BTW: This request is stored in STAR's database of Requests For Features.

Regarding a faster way to get a report: You can automate this too, using a macro tool. (A simple macro that is executed when the report window is opened and activates the Update button. - Is that what you are looking for?)

Regarding the text-only mode: Actually NXT does offer it (it is hidden under F4|Deactivate Tag Protection). But beware: it is buggy! Whereas you can manipulate tags and delete unnecessary tags/rearrange tags in XV (one of Transit's Unique Selling Points), this isn't always possible in NXT, since there is a bug in the F/R function. This too has been reported to STAR.

Problem with STAR is that they never give any feedback on their bug tracking activities ...

I'll post my own wishlist in a separate posting, lean back and buckle up.

Cheers,

Hans
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
My personal top 5 Aug 26, 2011

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Not sure how useful such things like wishlists actually are.

Antonin

You'll never know, until they are implemented.

Currently I find it quite concerning that there is no feedback whatsoever on STAR's development plans for NXT. Will there be a new release next year? The closest competitors are very alive and kicking but our beauty from the Swiss mountains seems to be asleep.

So, here is my personal top 5:

1. An As-is term recognition (and hence insertion) that exactly does what it is supposed to do: Recognize terms exactly the way they are stored in the DB: case sensitive and no 'clever' morphological reduction at all. All this at the same (or a higher) speed as the current term recognition (the function that comes closest to the As-is mode, Exact-matches only, is buggy and extremely slow).

2. Take the cursor selection to the Find field after Ctrl+H. (I've automated this with Macro Toolworks, but a hardcoded solution is better.)

3. A better internal macro language with basic programming functions, preferably VBA.

4. Number tags per segment, instead of per paragraph: less tags with higher numbers that cannot be inserted via Ctrl+number, Spacebar.

5. My all-time favorite: Case-adaptive Find/Replace, like nearly every other text editor offers.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
a few replies Aug 26, 2011

Hans Lenting wrote:

It may be a matter of Win 7 "folder ownership" restriction, more likely than Win 64 vs. 32 one. If it is the case, installing Transit outside of Prgoram Files (which I have been doing all the time anyway) may resolve the macro-non-running issue.

I have considered that solution some time ago but I do not feel like going that way. Maybe after I upgrade my current laptop to a more powerful one, I will find VM usage for practical tasks less frustrating. On the other hand, I admit it might resolve the issue of using one licence of Transit on several machines (well, I am not sure if it is legal: having a Transit istallation in a VM on an external USB drive and connect it to a different machine from time to time ).

Regarding the 'Open all language pairs at once/after opening a project': you can use an external macro tool (AutoHotkey, Macro Toolworks, AutoIt, etc.) to automate this task. BTW: This request is stored in STAR's database of Requests For Features.

I do have an AHK solution of my own for that, as a matter of fact. Works OK most of the time, but sometimes it freezes my screen.

Regarding a faster way to get a report: You can automate this too, using a macro tool. (A simple macro that is executed when the report window is opened and activates the Update button. - Is that what you are looking for?)

I do have such a macro, but in a in ideal world I would have the percentage (or another number as preset by the user) visible all the time on the status bar.

Regarding the text-only mode: Actually NXT does offer it (it is hidden under F4|Deactivate Tag Protection). But beware: it is buggy! Whereas you can manipulate tags and delete unnecessary tags/rearrange tags in XV (one of Transit's Unique Selling Points), this isn't always possible in NXT, since there is a bug in the F/R function. This too has been reported to STAR.

I am aware of both that feature and of its limitations - alas, not the same as in XV by far when it comes to tags.

Problem with STAR is that they never give any feedback on their bug tracking activities

You can say that again!

Antonin

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
not so harsh Aug 26, 2011

Hans Lenting wrote:

5. My all-time favorite: Case-adaptive Find/Replace, like nearly every other text editor offers.

I disagree with that; for me it is much more useful as-is, I mean, no automation of lower case/capital letters. If they introduce any, it should be possible to be switched off.

What I find more disturbing is a bug in the Replace dialog box: the highlighting of selection is faulty - sometimes the "blue-highlighted" text is really selected, sometimes it is not. I never know if the whole text in the field will be deleted when I change a letter in it, or only that letter.

Not speaking about the poor ergonomy of that dialog box, which is inherited form XV without many changes. I would very much like to be able to enlarge fields in Transit dialog boxes and customise fonts in them.

Antonin

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
2 additions to the wish list Aug 26, 2011

Two additions that didn't make it to the Top 5:

- A setting to close the Rapid Entry dialog after adding 1 term pair (like the good old Transit 2.6 offered).

- When in the F/R dialog the search direction 'Down' is selected, don't wrap searches, hence don't ask me every time 'Do you want to continue at the beginning of the document?' NO I don't want to continue at the start of the project, else I would have selected search direction 'Entire document'...
See more
Two additions that didn't make it to the Top 5:

- A setting to close the Rapid Entry dialog after adding 1 term pair (like the good old Transit 2.6 offered).

- When in the F/R dialog the search direction 'Down' is selected, don't wrap searches, hence don't ask me every time 'Do you want to continue at the beginning of the document?' NO I don't want to continue at the start of the project, else I would have selected search direction 'Entire document'.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
F/R dialog with large fields Aug 26, 2011

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:

I disagree with that; for me it is much more useful as-is, I mean, no automation of lower case/capital letters. If they introduce any, it should be possible to be switched off.

Of course it should be optional.

What I find more disturbing is a bug in the Replace dialog box: the highlighting of selection is faulty - sometimes the "blue-highlighted" text is really selected, sometimes it is not. I never know if the whole text in the field will be deleted when I change a letter in it, or only that letter.

I don't understand what you mean. Can post a screen photo?

Not speaking about the poor ergonomy of that dialog box, which is inherited form XV without many changes. I would very much like to be able to enlarge fields in Transit dialog boxes and customise fonts in them.

Antonin

Indeed you cannot configure the font but it is possible to make wide fields in the F/R dialog:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/509643/wide_fields.png

Or am I misunderstanding you here?

BTW: What did you mean by 'Not so harsh'?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New version of Transit/wish list

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »