Translating power of attorney as part of other documents: feedback needed
Thread poster: Giulia Peverini
Giulia Peverini
Giulia Peverini  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:41
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 26

I was asked to translate and swear a power of attorney. So far so good, the problem arises from the moment the client asks me to translate only the power of attorney contained in a document that also contains a whole series of other certifications, identity documents, etc. The power of attorney is already translated in the original document, but the notary nevertheless wants a new translation. Now, I would like to ask you if you have ever experienced a similar situation and what should I do. Sho... See more
I was asked to translate and swear a power of attorney. So far so good, the problem arises from the moment the client asks me to translate only the power of attorney contained in a document that also contains a whole series of other certifications, identity documents, etc. The power of attorney is already translated in the original document, but the notary nevertheless wants a new translation. Now, I would like to ask you if you have ever experienced a similar situation and what should I do. Should I point out in my translation that I have only translated the power of attorney? Are there any special instructions in this regard? I know that a lot depends on the different courts where the sworn translation is carried out, but I think there may be general guidelines in this case. I will also call the chancellery later, but in the meantime I would prefer to have your expert opinion. Thank you very much in advance.Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:41
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Giulia Feb 26

Procedures regarding sworn translations vary greatly from one country to another. For example, I was a sworn translator in Belgium during the time I lived there, but in Portugal where I have been living since 2015 there are no sworn translators. I’ve never experienced a similar situation, but if I were in your shoes, I would point out that I’ve only translated the power of attorney. Do you know why the notary wants a new translation?

Giulia Peverini

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I'm confused Feb 27

Do you mean the *client* wants a new translation? The notary's job is to notarise the document, not to tell you what to do.

And why are you retranslating something that's already been translated? It sounds like there's something wrong here, and in my experience of similar situations, the client often doesn't know what they want.

Christopher Schröder

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 07:41
German to Swedish
+ ...
OK Feb 28

If this is a self-contained document and you're not omitting anything on the page, I don't see anything wrong with it.
It really doesn't matter very much if it's jumbled together with other stuff (like a stapled case file of some kind).

Now if for any reason this appears misleading to you (say, because a later POA in the file supersedes it), add whatever brief note you find appropriate.

Giulia Peverini

Becca Resnik
Becca Resnik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:41
German to English
+ ...
Roles of notaries Feb 28

philgoddard wrote:

Do you mean the *client* wants a new translation? The notary's job is to notarise the document, not to tell you what to do.

And why are you retranslating something that's already been translated? It sounds like there's something wrong here, and in my experience of similar situations, the client often doesn't know what they want.

In many other countries, the role of a notary is quite different from what you and I know it to be in the US. Notaries elsewhere in the world have law degrees, provide legal advice, etc.

https://www.notarize.com/blog/going-global-how-notaries-differ-across-the-world

I do agree, though, that the situation seems odd!

Michele Fauble
Giulia Peverini
philgoddard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating power of attorney as part of other documents: feedback needed

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »