Have you been ever called names and threatened while posting a job offer?
Thread poster: Oriol VIP
Oriol VIP
Oriol VIP
Spain
Local time: 08:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 12

Hello,

I just wanted to share this last rude episode in my world (which besides these occasional sad episodes, is a very happy and fulfilled world!).

So I am doing a selection process and there's this "person" I had to politely decline because he didn't even match the language criteria (!!!), and after I did communicate this to him in a very polite manner, he started calling me names and, at a later stage, threatening me -and then of course, with the current practice, t
... See more
Hello,

I just wanted to share this last rude episode in my world (which besides these occasional sad episodes, is a very happy and fulfilled world!).

So I am doing a selection process and there's this "person" I had to politely decline because he didn't even match the language criteria (!!!), and after I did communicate this to him in a very polite manner, he started calling me names and, at a later stage, threatening me -and then of course, with the current practice, twisting everything.

I can show you the emails, I have no problem with that.

I was wondering what could I do in such situations, besides reporting him to social media.
Collapse

Grigori Gazarian
Grigori Gazarian  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:56
Member (2021)
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Don't waste your time Mar 12

I would suggest moving on. Just block them and make sure they can't get to you. Keep the emails in case they escalate. Your time is better spent elsewhere.

Matthias Brombach
Robert Rietvelt
Dan Lucas
Matthieu Ledoré
MollyRose
Elena Feriani
Zea_Mays

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Let it go Mar 12

Forgive (not because they deserve it, but for your sake), let it go, forget it. It isn't worth it. Getting upset about it only hurts you and doesn't do anything to fix the situation.

Robert Rietvelt
Arne Krueger
Zea_Mays
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Philip Lees
Marijke Singer
expressisverbis

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes I have Mar 12

Not exact threats but highly unprofessional replies to job offers. And no, there is nobody you can report it to. I know why you are shocked though. I dealt with jobs and HR in fields other than translation and nowhere else have I encountered such unprofessionalism and arrogance. But those other fields have filtered and trained professionals, unlike translation.

P.L.F. Persio
Dalia Nour

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Take it.... Mar 12

...as the plumbers (the alter egos of all translators since ages) do: Think for yourself "Who are you?"

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 01:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Never send any feedback Mar 12

When you are trying to outsource to a big crowd of strangers. Maybe set up an autoreply to confirm read receipt. I doubt that you'll be asking for a test from well-known and reputable colleagues, whom you may be planning to pre-select and address personally.

This is exactly why you get that feeling that you are writing to some black hole address when you do the test, but only few wish to look at the issue from the other side. The agencies, good or bad otherwise, do not bother with
... See more
When you are trying to outsource to a big crowd of strangers. Maybe set up an autoreply to confirm read receipt. I doubt that you'll be asking for a test from well-known and reputable colleagues, whom you may be planning to pre-select and address personally.

This is exactly why you get that feeling that you are writing to some black hole address when you do the test, but only few wish to look at the issue from the other side. The agencies, good or bad otherwise, do not bother with replies, explanations and feedback in response to the tests (each of which, of course, is superb and beyond any critique or reproach). Wasting time explaining for the tenth time that you are still having nightmares after reading it??? No way. Agencies, even the serious ones with a real project at hand, take a proactive approach by getting lost. Why? Because they know how many knuckleheads are out there (hundreds and thousands!) expecting/demanding response, acceptance, appreciation, iron-clad proof of any editorial changes or the overall rejection etc., and would never stop bombarding PMs with defensive/aggressive emails. These exercises will eat up all agency time and nerve cells. 30 seconds to a minute and either you are in, at least on a short list, or it goes straight to a trash bin. When they pick you, they promptly let you know with compliments. When they don't for whatever reason, just move on. If you believe that the test is the right approach for a certain worthy client, do it but write it off to your business overhead before any great expectations and later celebrate your luck, should it hit you.

Maybe, if you operate on a small scale and outsource for real projects only rather than database stuffing, it could be a good idea to mention in your request that all selected candidates will be notified before day X, as other businesses do in their Requests for Proposal, leaving all others out by default while offering them an honest option to swim at their own risk. Some may still not get it but that is not your problem. Just ignore them.

Oriol VIP wrote:

Hello,

So I am doing a selection process and there's this "person" I had to politely decline because he didn't even match the language criteria (!!!), and after I did communicate this to him in a very polite manner, he started calling me names and, at a later stage, threatening me -and then of course, with the current practice, twisting everything.

I can show you the emails, I have no problem with that.

I was wondering what could I do in such situations, besides reporting him to social media.

Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Zea_Mays

Oriol VIP
Oriol VIP
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your comments and feedback! Mar 13

As you suggested, I simply blocked the unpleasant person and made a report to Google, just for my peace of mind.

Thanks to everyone for the support! Sometimes these things get to you. Have a happy day!

Dalia Nour

Quentin NEVEN
Quentin NEVEN  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (Jan 2024)
English to French
+ ...
Do not engage with it Mar 13

Hi!

Sometimes, this kind of thing happens. There is nothing to do, you do not have to engage with such people. They are very frustrated and try to make you carry their burden, but you can just say "nop" and move on.

As many have said: "let go!"

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Dalia Nour

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you been ever called names and threatened while posting a job offer?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »