Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Danemark
Local time: 03:13
Membre (2003)
danois vers anglais
+ ...
There are far more important things to worry about Feb 26, 2010

Jack Doughty wrote:

I shall continue to operate in the way I find most convenient.
I am resistant to constant nagging about how I should save this and protect that, especially when it is in the name of non-existent global warming.

Jack Doughty, alias Grumpy Old Man

I agree.
There are many good reasons for reducing forms of pollution associated with so-called greenhouse gases, whether you believe in global warming or not, but scrimping on paper is not going to make any appreciable difference.

Managed forests, which supply most of the wood pulp for paper, actually help bind CO2... So use paper sensibly with a good conscience, and take care of your hard-copy dictionaries!

It is burning them and generating energy from non-renewable sources (to run computers ) that will upset the balance. OK, e-mails are far more environment friendly than snail mail, so you do need the electronic documents, but use paper when you want to, and save your energy for more effective ways of keeping the planet clean!

Greetings from a Grumpy Old Woman!

And happy translating, however you do it!

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
anglais vers français
+ ...
Let things be clear Feb 26, 2010

When I say "not quite but as much as can be", I mean that I still print out 3000+ pages a year - I need the paper copy in the source language in front of me, much more convenient for my eyes, than the text on screen.
The reason for re-using paper of all kind is that I receive quite a bit from different sources and do not like waste. If it contributes to making this a better world, so much the better.

sarandor
sarandor  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 21:13
anglais vers russe
+ ...
"Please consider the environment before printing this email." Feb 26, 2010

This is a tagline one of my client's uses in her emails. I remember exorbitant amounts of paper (and printer toner) wasted at the company I worked for a few years ago to print dozens of pages of back-and-forth emails.

Vuk Vujosevic
Vuk Vujosevic  Identity Verified
Monténégro
anglais vers serbe
+ ...
Totally agree with Jack Feb 26, 2010

I try not to waste my time and money on printing.
I have 24' screen so I can see two papers on the same screen and if I have to translate hard copy document it's even easier.
I print only documents that have to be signed and sealed.
Vuk

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:13
Membre (2007)
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...

MODÉRATEUR
You must receive a LOT of mailings Feb 26, 2010

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:

I proofread every translation of mine on a printed version (with a small police and tiny margins) but like Interlangue I only use "recycled" mailings, etc. I have never bought a ream of paper since I started as a freelancer.

Stéphanie

[Edited at 2010-02-26 08:44 GMT]

I sometimes also print out my translations or originals to do a final revision but, although I do recycle my own printouts, there's no way that I could manage without ever buying a ream of paper

Yvonne Becker
Yvonne Becker  Identity Verified
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...
As free as it can be Feb 26, 2010

Certified translations have to be signed and need my official seal, so I have to use paper. For the rest of the translations, I usually don't print the originals unless I can see that copy better than on my screen.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Membre (2005)
allemand vers anglais
+ ...
I have other environmental concerns Feb 26, 2010

Like my carbon footprint, reducing our electrical and natural gas use.
We recycle 85-90% of the paper that comes into the house.
So, no, I'm not particularly concerned about the fewer than 30 pages I print each year.

TCN6YR
TCN6YR
Japon
Local time: 10:13
russe vers japonais
+ ...
Yes Feb 26, 2010

I don't have a printer and make hard copies very often. I don't feel difficulties because of it. I can go to a store to print out materials if there is a necessity, but it happens at most once a couple of months. I got used to work without papers, and would even feel strange with them. Environmental issues put a brake on my using them, but I don't simply want to have piles of documets or many files on my shelves or in trash bins.

[Edited at 2010-02-26 14:40 GMT]

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 19:13
espagnol vers anglais
+ ...
I'd like to, but I can't do it. Feb 26, 2010

Most of my translations are official ones. I must deliver a printed copy in which I staple the original document for security purposes.

In addition, exams are not in electronic format, andeach one is about 5-6 pages. Just yesterdeay I had to take 240 photocopies for 2 classes.

Unfortunately, my job won't be paperless in the near future.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Tchèque (République)
français vers anglais
+ ...
Paperless even when signature is required Feb 26, 2010

Sometimes the client needs me to sign a certification sheet / NDA / whatever. I used to go the usual way - print, sign, scan. Now that my computer is a convertible tablet (Thinkpad X61t), I pull out a pen and sign the document directly on the screen. This wasn't the main reason to buy the tablet, but it certainly does eliminate some hassle when I work away from my home base, which happens very often.

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
allemand vers français
+ ...
But... Feb 26, 2010

Rebecca Garber wrote:

Like my carbon footprint, reducing our electrical and natural gas use.
We recycle 85-90% of the paper that comes into the house.
So, no, I'm not particularly concerned about the fewer than 30 pages I print each year.
... I think you don't have to be concerned. 30 pages is near to zero and is about what I print too.

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
allemand vers français
+ ...
Oh! Feb 26, 2010

Anton Konashenok wrote:

Sometimes the client needs me to sign a certification sheet / NDA / whatever. I used to go the usual way - print, sign, scan. Now that my computer is a convertible tablet (Thinkpad X61t), I pull out a pen and sign the document directly on the screen. This wasn't the main reason to buy the tablet, but it certainly does eliminate some hassle when I work away from my home base, which happens very often.
That's a good point! I surely would not buy a tablet just for that purpose, but maybe some people here have tips on how to achieve this on a regular PC?
When I get the doc in Word, I insert my signature as an image into it and convert it into PDF, but when I get the doc as a PDF, I know no paper-free solution... yet.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Porto Rico
espagnol vers anglais
+ ...
Almost, and I'm not worried about it. Feb 26, 2010

I'm almost paperless, merely because I dislike storing piles and files of paper, especially with no air conditioning and a hot, humid climate.

My clients almost never ask for hard copies, and I rarely receive paper documents to translate. On occasion, I print out an original that I can't type over (such as a pdf) so that I can photocopy and enlarge, when needed.

I'm philosophically attuned to those of you who have said, in one form or another, "I'm not going to give up
... See more
I'm almost paperless, merely because I dislike storing piles and files of paper, especially with no air conditioning and a hot, humid climate.

My clients almost never ask for hard copies, and I rarely receive paper documents to translate. On occasion, I print out an original that I can't type over (such as a pdf) so that I can photocopy and enlarge, when needed.

I'm philosophically attuned to those of you who have said, in one form or another, "I'm not going to give up paper, and I think too much is being made of the matter." However, I don't find it necessary to print my translations in order to proofread them. I am a very careful on-screen proofreader, and I believe I am every bit as concerned with quality as those who print everything out for proofreading. We all work differently.

I try not to be wasteful, but I am not knocking myself out to save every scrap of paper.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post
Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Modérateur(s) de ce forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Is your operation paper-free?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »