Jeanne de Rougemont  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:01
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
Feb 20

Hello,

I've received several emails from someone asking for English to French translations, and who found me via ProZ.

They claim to work for Good Canaan Land Church and want several articles and two books translated. They sent me a link to the church's website and a PDF with a sample text, but I don't have any other way to check whether the offer is genuine. And I find it slightly strange that they reached out to me directly about the project, rather than posting a tra
... See more
Hello,

I've received several emails from someone asking for English to French translations, and who found me via ProZ.

They claim to work for Good Canaan Land Church and want several articles and two books translated. They sent me a link to the church's website and a PDF with a sample text, but I don't have any other way to check whether the offer is genuine. And I find it slightly strange that they reached out to me directly about the project, rather than posting a translation job ad on ProZ.

Has anyone worked with them before and can vouch for them? Does anyone have experience with direct emails from potential clients who found you on ProZ? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Collapse

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:01
Italian to English
Nothing particularly fishy Feb 20

Jeanne de Rougemont wrote:

And I find it slightly strange that they reached out to me directly about the project, rather than posting a translation job ad on ProZ.

I don't think this is strange - you may be a good fit for their project.
Since it's a new client, I would request advance payment. Their response will speak volumes.

Best of luck!

William Tierney
Philippe Etienne
philgoddard
Najib Bencherif

William Tierney
William Tierney  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:01
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
Third-Party Verification Feb 20

If they are affiliated with a larger denomination, you can check with them. If they give you an address, you can check on Google maps to check their building (I use this to spot virtual offices, like the Paris agency that is really located in Moldova.)

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Jeanne de Rougemont
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Advance payment Feb 20

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

I don't think this is strange - you may be a good fit for their project.
Since it's a new client, I would request advance payment. Their response will speak volumes.

Best of luck!

I did ask for advance payment, to which they replied that they first wanted a sample translation, that we would then sign a contract and begin our cooperation.

I've replied that I was happy to take a test and sign the contract, then repeated again that I would request advance payment before getting started. I'm really not sure what to make of all this...

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Jeanne Feb 20

Another thread probably on the same subject (https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/365056-translation_project_from_the_good_canaan_land_church.html) was posted 4 days ago and removed by Proz staff. Why don’t you send a ticket asking for more details?

Michele Fauble
Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Ying-Ju Fang
philgoddard

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 01:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Scam Feb 21

Everything screams of it - a small non-profit church in Queens, NY needs articles and 2 books translated into French and is ready to pay??? This notion alone makes it a joke.

I found 2 websites for this church. One seems to be legitimate and well-populated with information. https://en.gclchurch.us/

But the other appeared only once and then, on a second attempt, it required "free sign-up
... See more
Everything screams of it - a small non-profit church in Queens, NY needs articles and 2 books translated into French and is ready to pay??? This notion alone makes it a joke.

I found 2 websites for this church. One seems to be legitimate and well-populated with information. https://en.gclchurch.us/

But the other appeared only once and then, on a second attempt, it required "free sign-up" to continue viewing profiles on some GuideStar platform. That one looked pretty shady, strange tabs, vague, some pretty senseless information.
Collapse

elisa

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Jeanne Feb 21

Did the e-mail come from an Arabella? https://www.linkedin.com/posts/dominique-cook-09813215_i-wanted-to-check-with-anyone-else-whether-activity-7163447052809531394-3bM7/

Dominique Cook
Dominique Cook  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
I was contacted too Feb 21

Jeanne de Rougemont wrote:

Hello,

They claim to work for Good Canaan Land Church and want several articles and two books translated. They sent me a link to the church's website and a PDF with a sample text, but I don't have any other way to check whether the offer is genuine. And I find it slightly strange that they reached out to me directly about the project, rather than posting a translation job ad on ProZ.

Has anyone worked with them before and can vouch for them? Does anyone have experience with direct emails from potential clients who found you on ProZ? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

As I wasn't sure about them and this was a big job, I told them I'd need a deposit, this was refused. I was told that contracts would be signed, time and money were flexible. She did send me a questionnaire, but looking at it, I do not have the experience anyway to translate the type of texts she needed translated so that was the end of the conversation.

Rosa Plana Castillón
Rosa Plana Castillón
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Greek Feb 21

There is a post in the Facebook Proz forum from someone who received a request from them a couple of weeks ago. In that case it was English>Greek. It's a scam apparently.

Jeanne de Rougemont
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 21

Thanks everyone for your answers, it looked like a scam to me but I couldn't be entirely sure, I'm glad I got to connect with others who had the same experience.

Mattia Gallo
Mattia Gallo  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (Jan 2024)
English to Italian
+ ...
NY Church Feb 22

Hi! I had the same exact experience with a church from NY for EN-ITA translations of articles and 2 books! After I completed their test (I translated their sample using their glossary and I can assure that it was a perfect translation) they told me that their reviewers did not accept my translation. After my multiple requests of explanations they disappeared.

P.S. in the sample file there were many other parts highlighted with multiple colors that they probably gave to other transl
... See more
Hi! I had the same exact experience with a church from NY for EN-ITA translations of articles and 2 books! After I completed their test (I translated their sample using their glossary and I can assure that it was a perfect translation) they told me that their reviewers did not accept my translation. After my multiple requests of explanations they disappeared.

P.S. in the sample file there were many other parts highlighted with multiple colors that they probably gave to other translators just to get the job done for free...
Collapse

Célia Thévenet

Brice Nagalingum
Brice Nagalingum  Identity Verified
France
Member (2015)
English to French
+ ...
Update, test approved but... Mar 5

In my case, my test was approved but I'm now being asked to provide ID as part of their KYV process and they sent me a draft contract for reference that they tell me I don't need to return signed right now. They do require me to sign a due diligence form as an individual. Not sure how usual the ID requirement is so I'm still wary of this.

Magali Svitex
Magali Svitex
France
English to French
+ ...
I'll treat it as scam Apr 1

Hello,
I came here to see if I would find some information about that Arabella as it did look quite suspicious: I received a couple of emails from her, saying she found my address on atlas.org. I have also received email from that church. My new rule is anybody claiming to work for a company but using a gmail address is going to be considered as spam from now on. With all the spams that is going around, I'm going to have to assume that only a scammer would not think twice about using an em
... See more
Hello,
I came here to see if I would find some information about that Arabella as it did look quite suspicious: I received a couple of emails from her, saying she found my address on atlas.org. I have also received email from that church. My new rule is anybody claiming to work for a company but using a gmail address is going to be considered as spam from now on. With all the spams that is going around, I'm going to have to assume that only a scammer would not think twice about using an email address that is not linked to a recognisable website.
Collapse

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Just a silly idea ... Apr 2

Have you ever considered contacting directly this church?

It's not that their email, or their phone number is difficult to find - it's one the landing page of their website.

Also the domain name for their website was registered by kingdomsalvation.org contact details in Seoul, South Korea not hidden behind any privacy service.

In a 5 - 10 minute phone call you can check if you are really dealing with that church, and as a bonus you can get an idea if you wo
... See more
Have you ever considered contacting directly this church?

It's not that their email, or their phone number is difficult to find - it's one the landing page of their website.

Also the domain name for their website was registered by kingdomsalvation.org contact details in Seoul, South Korea not hidden behind any privacy service.

In a 5 - 10 minute phone call you can check if you are really dealing with that church, and as a bonus you can get an idea if you would want them or not as client.

Too simple? Or you prefer second / third ... hand sources?
Collapse

NR TRADUCTION
NR TRADUCTION
France
English to French
Potential scam Apr 2

I think it is definitely a scam. I was contacted this morning via LinkedIn. This time they have 3 books to translate and loads of articles. I had the PDF too.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help with a potential scam

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »