Thread poster: Susana Gonzalez
Susana Gonzalez
Susana Gonzalez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 28

For those of you who translate Diplomas, University Transcripts, etc, from Spanish into English: do you ALWAYS translate the name (which appears in Spanish) of the University/College into English, or NEVER do this? Any exemption(s)? Thank you.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:51
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Susana Jan 28

This may be useful...

https://www.upf.edu/en/web/gabinet-linguistic/quan-hem-de-traduir-el-nom-de-la-universitat-

neilmac

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 11:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
My take Jan 30

I don't think it's a question of "always" or "never"... Some universities prefer their name not to be translated for example, in my experience, the UPV (Universitat Politècnica de València). This may have something to do with the drive for independence and/or linguistic differentiation in Catalonia and Valencia. But then again, how would we translate "Complutense"... ?

When in doubt, I usually ask the client if they want the name of their institution translated or not.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Name of Institution for Spanish to English Translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »