Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 27

Job Description from ProZ platform:

Assess the accuracy of the revisions made by an AI model on German text
Provide detailed explanation of the errors introduced by the model
Identify the corrections missed by the model and provide necessary corrections

Strikingly no one has shown interest so far.

writeaway
P.L.F. Persio
Christel Zipfel
Barbara Carrara
Angie Garbarino
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Hans Lenting

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 09:59
English to Russian
+ ...
An example from recent work Feb 27

I often get to translate engineering proposals (which basically describe changes to be made to design documents), and they usually contain long sentences written in some of the lamest ways in which an engineer or technical writer can write something. After translating one such sentence, I thought it would be fun to check out what MT would make of it. Since I was translating into English (otherwise it wouldn't make much sense to share it here), I'm not claiming that my translation is perfect or e... See more
I often get to translate engineering proposals (which basically describe changes to be made to design documents), and they usually contain long sentences written in some of the lamest ways in which an engineer or technical writer can write something. After translating one such sentence, I thought it would be fun to check out what MT would make of it. Since I was translating into English (otherwise it wouldn't make much sense to share it here), I'm not claiming that my translation is perfect or even great: maybe someone will say that the machine-translated versions are fine, except for the brand/grade thing and a couple of other points, and all those changes to them are unnecessary. I'm not citing the original sentence because it will be irrelevant to someone who doesn't speak Russian whereas Russian speakers will be able to reconstruct the source text fairly accurately by studying the MT versions. There is one thing, however, that I can be positive about: no amount of AI correction will produce anything close to my translation (however good or bad it may be) out of any or all of the MT inputs. ChatGPT recently stopped working in my QTranslate, so I wasn't able to test the AI superstar on that text, but my experience suggests that its output would not be any better or any less boring than the ones contained in my file. Someone may say that my example is just a one-off thing and will be wrong: I get to work on such texts all the time. Here is a link to the .docx file: https://shorturl.at/gAKL8

[Редактировалось 2024-02-27 15:09 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Becca Resnik
P.L.F. Persio

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Greek to English
AI translation and editing is fine ... Feb 28

... until it isn't. Sooner or later, one of these new tools will make an error so serious that people will die as a result.

When that happens, the media will attribute it to computer error, rather than blaming the people who entrusted the software with a task it was not competent to handle.

AI is a misnomer. There is no "intelligence" there, in the sense we normally use the word. At best, it is "simulated intelligence". The advent of real artificial intelligence, which
... See more
... until it isn't. Sooner or later, one of these new tools will make an error so serious that people will die as a result.

When that happens, the media will attribute it to computer error, rather than blaming the people who entrusted the software with a task it was not competent to handle.

AI is a misnomer. There is no "intelligence" there, in the sense we normally use the word. At best, it is "simulated intelligence". The advent of real artificial intelligence, which will have a consciousness that enables it to "understand" what it's doing on some level, is still probably decades away. My gut feeling, based on no evidence whatsoever, is that it will require quantum computing, of a type considerably more sophisticated than what is available nowadays.

However, too many people are too easily fooled. And too many people are unscrupulous enough to take advantage of that.

ProZ staff, please note.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino
Zea_Mays
Hans Lenting
Matthieu Ledoré

Marina Aleyeva
Marina Aleyeva  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
AI is unable to understand, but was English its favourite subject at school? Mar 1

Not just the lack of understanding, but in my language combinations, AI-generated translations often suggest the lack of basic knowledge of English, let alone of the other languages. Here is a short passage from a BBC article about an earthquake translated to Russian by Google Translate and the free version of ChatGPT:

In terms of history, there has been nothing bigger than a magnitude 6.0 within 500km (300 miles) of Friday night's epicentre since before 1900.
This unfa
... See more
Not just the lack of understanding, but in my language combinations, AI-generated translations often suggest the lack of basic knowledge of English, let alone of the other languages. Here is a short passage from a BBC article about an earthquake translated to Russian by Google Translate and the free version of ChatGPT:

In terms of history, there has been nothing bigger than a magnitude 6.0 within 500km (300 miles) of Friday night's epicentre since before 1900.
This unfamiliarity has consequences. The quake memory in the population will be limited and so will have been the preparedness.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-66762984

Google Translate:

С точки зрения истории, с 1900 года в радиусе 500 км (300 миль) от эпицентра ночи пятницы не было ничего магнитуды выше 6,0.
Это незнание имеет последствия. Память о землетрясении среди населения будет ограниченной, как и готовность к нему.

ChatGPT:

В историческом контексте в радиусе 500 км (300 миль) от эпицентра пятничного вечера до 1900 года не было ничего большего, чем магнитуда 6,0.
Эта непривычка имеет последствия. Память о землетрясениях у населения будет ограниченной, а следовательно, будет ограничена и подготовка.

I know most of you can't read Russian, so you'll have to take my word for it. Both translations are so awful that you can't really make head or tail of them. "Friday night's epicentre" became "the epicentre of the Friday night". "In terms of history" became either "from the historical point of view" or "in the historical context". "не было ничего магнитуды выше" (GT) is garbage. What amazed me most, however, was that both AIs misinterpret the "will" in the last sentence as future tense. And here on ProZ, ChatGPT has a Confirmed Native yellow icon for English.

Added: Oh, and Google Translate thinks that "since before 1900" means "since 1900", while ChatGPT thinks it means "before 1900".

[Edited at 2024-03-02 12:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-03-02 12:56 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Zea_Mays
Barbara Carrara

Yakov Katsman
Yakov Katsman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:59
Member (2016)
English to Russian
DEEPL is better Mar 7

С точки зрения истории, в радиусе 500 км (300 миль) от эпицентра пятничного землетрясения до 1900 года не было ничего сильнее магнитуды 6,0.

Marina Aleyeva
Marina Aleyeva  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Only marginally better Mar 7

Yakov Katsman wrote:

С точки зрения истории, в радиусе 500 км (300 миль) от эпицентра пятничного землетрясения до 1900 года не было ничего сильнее магнитуды 6,0.

"Friday night's epicentre" is the only thing that's better, really. Again, both "С точки зрения истории" (From the historical point of view) and "до 1900 года" ("before 1900") are wrong. "ничего сильнее магнитуды" (or "крупнее", which is what I get with DeepL) is yet another pile of garbage. And there's again that future tense in the last sentence: "Память о землетрясениях у населения будет ограничена, как и готовность к ним". Apparently, all three AIs were absent when the teacher explained that "will" can be used to make a confident assumption about present. Even though you can use the future tense in a similar way in Russian, the wording should make it clear this is present and not future.

Besides, all three translations look horribly robotic and unnatural.

[Edited at 2024-03-07 16:20 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

End of the road?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »