Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:14
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 30, 2023

Hi folks
I'm thinking of offering an additional service for clients who want to use ChatGPT or Bard for translations.

If this is a service you offer your clients, or might in the future, what sort of rates (percentage of your full rate or hourly rate) would you charge for this service?

The way I see it, the BIG problem with these chat bots is they write text that's sometimes mostly right, but they also write things that look really convincing but are totally wron
... See more
Hi folks
I'm thinking of offering an additional service for clients who want to use ChatGPT or Bard for translations.

If this is a service you offer your clients, or might in the future, what sort of rates (percentage of your full rate or hourly rate) would you charge for this service?

The way I see it, the BIG problem with these chat bots is they write text that's sometimes mostly right, but they also write things that look really convincing but are totally wrong if you check them.

So if a client wants to use a chat bot for their translation AND wants a fairly decent quality result they will need someone to check it, which could be an opportunity for linguists to offer Quality Assurance, especially in their specializations.

[Edited at 2023-03-30 11:27 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Paulino Mujaule

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:14
English to Turkish
Nail in the coffin Mar 30, 2023

Why would you want to do that?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Tom in London
Christopher Schröder
Platary (X)
mk_lab
Miranda Drew
Anna A. K.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:14
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I think I know why Mar 30, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Why would you want to do that?

Because it's new. And it's technology. What more do you want?

[Edited at 2023-03-30 13:48 GMT]

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
MTPE rate Mar 30, 2023

This would be basically the same as machine translation post-editing, wouldn't it ?

Veronica Montserrat
Dalia Nour
Christopher Schröder
Michele Fauble
Inge Schumacher

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Fact Checking Mar 30, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:
This would be basically the same as machine translation post-editing, wouldn't it ?

Not really. The clients may want the translators to perform fact checking as well. Unless people are okay with Charles de Gaulle being a triple-agent astronaut who received a Rolls-Royce from Marilyn Monroe in 1962.

Jo Macdonald wrote:

The way I see it, the BIG problem with these chat bots is they write text that's sometimes mostly right, but they also write things that look really convincing but are totally wrong if you check them.

So if a client wants to use a chat bot for their translation AND wants a fairly decent quality result they will need someone to check it, which could be an opportunity for linguists to offer Quality Assurance, especially in their specializations.

This is purely theoretical, isn’t it? I would charge the clients mainly for my expertise in particular fields, with translation as a value-added service. How much I would charge and what kind of pricing policy I would adopt are going to depend on the market situation of this niche. I can’t make a decision without data.

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
I don't think so. Mar 30, 2023

Mr. Satan wrote:
Not really. The clients may want the translators to perform fact checking as well. Unless people are okay with Charles de Gaulle being a triple-agent astronaut who received a Rolls-Royce from Marilyn Monroe in 1962.

If the client wants you to check the translation he will have to provide the source text, otherwise you can't check the translation.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Fact Checking 2 Mar 30, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:
I don't think so. If the client wants you to check the translation he will have to provide the source text, otherwise you can't check the translation.

Anyone who is even remotely involved in IT sector would know that Microsoft Windows is not a POSIX-compliant operating system. So, if ChatGPT said this was the case in its translation, you know it’s BS without even reading the source text.

But why would a translator want to translate without a master document, anyway?

Emanuele Vacca
Emanuele Vacca  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2020)
English to Italian
Why should you offer such service? Mar 30, 2023

Honestly, I think you shouldn't offer this service at all. "ChatGPT Quality Assurance" is not a service; MTPE is. Offering "ChatGPT Quality Assurance" is like listing "editing of DeepL output" as a service. Why would you let the client choose which MT engine (and for these purposes, ChatGPT counts as an MT engine) you should use for your MTPE services? Do you also offer "translation with Trados Studio" or "proofreading with Word" services?

Baran Keki
mk_lab
Évariste Willy Noah
Mickaël Mergirie
Inge Schumacher

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It's the usual MTPE revision Mar 30, 2023

Jo Macdonald wrote:

This service would be exactly the same as that of a proofreader who checks that work of an MTPE translator. No doubt some clients are unaware that translations need to be checked by a reviser, and some clients will want an MTPE translator to deliver a publish-ready translation, but the reality is that even with MTPE, the translation really needs to be checked by a second person. And that second person will be you. This means that your rate for this service would be the same as the rate for MTPE revision... which can be about the same as revision of human translations of a reasonable quality.

Mr. Satan wrote:
The clients may want the translators to perform fact checking as well.

Fact checking is an entirely separate service... but translators usually just trust the source text. Fact checking would only be an issue if the client doesn't trust their own source text.

[Edited at 2023-03-30 19:59 GMT]

Évariste Willy Noah

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Who is the translator? Mar 31, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
This service would be exactly the same as that of a proofreader who checks that work of an MTPE translator.

If that would be true, who is the translator then in your scenario? If it's the client himself, I would only accept this as MTPE, unless he's a professional translator himself.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Good point Mar 31, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
This service would be exactly the same as that of a proofreader who checks that work of an MTPE translator.

If that would be true, who is the translator then in your scenario?

You make a good point. The QA person in this case is actually an MTPE translator, not an MTPE reviser.

Jo Macdonald
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the feedback folks Mar 31, 2023

Baran Keki wrote: Why would you want to do that?

Hi Baran
I'm trying to get an idea of what sort of service I might offer clients who use AI in Microsoft Office, search engines (Bing and Google), CAT tools, etc. and establish the value of that service before agencies put me in a redundant sounding post-edited category.

The quality and peace of mind we give clients is the most valuable part of the job we do, it's also the part that takes most time, especially if they're using MT/AI.

Imo this inaccuracy with MT and more so with AI opens opportunities for services we already provide but if we don't want to provide those services agencies will probably sell AI-PE like they sold PEMT as next to worthless (for €2-4 cents).

Emanuele
Don't really know what to call this yet. I'd rather use "quality" than "post-editing" as imo that sounds cheap. Perhaps it's more Quality Control than Quality Assurance.

Lieven/Mr Satan
Full-PEMT rate maybe, but I tend to agree with Mr Satan that more fact-checking will be required.

Samuel
Good point about revision.
I think there could be opportunities for various types of services depending on the quality the client requires. Maybe:
1st level: QC, fact-checking, editing
2nd level: 2nd opinion revision, transcreation or back translation

Tom
Good points, but mostly I think people will use AI if it's free (or almost) and available.

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
I don't understand Mar 31, 2023

Jo Macdonald wrote:
Lieven/Mr Satan
Full-PEMT rate maybe, but I tend to agree with Mr Satan that more fact-checking will be required.

OK, let me just try to understand this. You have a client who uses ChatGPT to create a translation. Next step: he asks you to check and correct that translation. In what scenario will you not be provided with the source text, forcing you to do Google fact-checking ?

Jo Macdonald
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fact-checking Mar 31, 2023

I reckon you have the source but can't trust the AI output.

The impression I get is that one of the things AI does best is making things up that look quite convincing.

Might be enough to just check the souce, or might need another level of fact-checking.

Lieven Malaise wrote:
In what scenario will you not be provided with the source text, forcing you to do Google fact-checking ?

[Edited at 2023-03-31 09:27 GMT]

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Err... Mar 31, 2023

Jo Macdonald wrote:

I reckon you have the source but can't trust the AI output. It looks convincing but...

Is that the way you edit ? "I'm not going to check the source because the translation looks convincing ?"

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for ChatGPT/Bard Quality Assurance

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »